Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I finally tried sea foam

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally tried sea foam

poured some into my IM, some into teh valve cover and the rest in the gas tank. I followed the directions of course.

This stuff works really well for under 10 bucks it's a sweet deal. Idle smoothed out. Acceleration is stronger especially in the higher gears, 3rd and 4th. No more black smoke when i hit vtec.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (mengy007)

remember to change your oil

....... like now
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

< clueless

What is sea foam?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (816d16)

clickety on link in my sig
Old 09-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (DemostheneZ)

yeah I have some Mobile1 10w40 sitting at home waiting for me.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep seeing all these sea foam post and I thought I would post a little info, sea foam is not always great, I have seen many people use it and have horror stories about it. Blown head gaskets, lack or oil pressure. One of the main things sea foam does is break up all the sludge and it falls down to the oil pan and that could be a big mess. Customers usually ask me about it and I tell them water works wonders. You take a spray bottle ( the ones that mist ) and you hold the throttle open a little with the engine running and you spray a little every now and then. What your doing is steam cleaning the inside of your engine and everything is being burned off rather then falling to your oil pan.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (90blackcrx)

yeah I've read somewhere that if you have cracks in your head gasket it could open them up real big and you would have a problem there. I just did a mini-swap so i know my head gasket doesn't have any rips. Good stuff though
Old 09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I keep seeing all these sea foam post and I thought I would post a little info, sea foam is not always great, I have seen many people use it and have horror stories about it. Blown head gaskets, lack or oil pressure. One of the main things sea foam does is break up all the sludge and it falls down to the oil pan and that could be a big mess. Customers usually ask me about it and I tell them water works wonders. You take a spray bottle ( the ones that mist ) and you hold the throttle open a little with the engine running and you spray a little every now and then. What your doing is steam cleaning the inside of your engine and everything is being burned off rather then falling to your oil pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i have never heard of this. has anyone else ever done anything like this, and should u change your oil after u do this?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:06 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (DemostheneZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clickety on link in my sig</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool thanks.

I just changed my hg about a year and a half ago, so I'm going for it.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have never heard of this. has anyone else ever done anything like this, and should u change your oil after u do this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=780762

Just 1 incident, there are many more out there.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm my block had around 222,xxx miles on it and it works good so far... wonder if i should try it on my mom's honda, that thing keeps over heating, eats coolant like a bitch
Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i refuse to use this ****...get a real induction service
Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mengy007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wonder if i should try it on my mom's honda, that thing keeps over heating, eats coolant like a bitch</TD></TR></TABLE>
its not going through collant because it has carbon build up.. that my friend has problems.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i refuse to use this ****...get a real induction service</TD></TR></TABLE>

and i dissagree.. its a great cheap EASY fix for "not so dirty" engines, if you have a 10 yr old engine with 250K miles, you might have a point.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (Built B16A)

the real kit dealerships use is only about 30 bucks and works alot better and doesnt eat up the fluids in your motor
Old 09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I keep seeing all these sea foam post and I thought I would post a little info, sea foam is not always great, I have seen many people use it and have horror stories about it. Blown head gaskets, lack or oil pressure. One of the main things sea foam does is break up all the sludge and it falls down to the oil pan and that could be a big mess. Customers usually ask me about it and I tell them water works wonders. You take a spray bottle ( the ones that mist ) and you hold the throttle open a little with the engine running and you spray a little every now and then. What your doing is steam cleaning the inside of your engine and everything is being burned off rather then falling to your oil pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never come across a single complaint regarding seafoam. I heard about seafoam about a year before I actually tried it myself. Read every 'google' hit that I could find regarding seafoam and not one complaint from anyone. Worst statement that I could find was "I didn't notice a difference."

Also not clear on how you say that seafoam causes sludge to fall into the oil pan while water causes it to be burned off... Seafoam is a petroleum based product that is actually combustible while water is not. Not seeing how you are saying that seafoam is more potentially more harmful than water.

As for changing your oil right after, not as crucial as people make it sound. I followed the directions and did seafoam through the IM, gas tank and poured some directly into the crankcase. Drove around like this for approximately 1 week and changed the oil. I was careful driving the engine. Took it easy during that week and did not put a lot of miles on the car... Just home & work. So use your head and be smart about it. Don't do seafoam in the crankcase and then drive cross country...
Old 09-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i refuse to use this ****...get a real induction service</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you provide any faqs to support your claim that seafoam is "****" or is this based solely on your "expert" opinion.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finally tried sea foam (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never come across a single complaint regarding seafoam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at the link I posted above

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also not clear on how you say that seafoam causes sludge to fall into the oil pan while water causes it to be burned off... Seafoam is a petroleum based product that is actually combustible while water is not. Not seeing how you are saying that seafoam is more potentially more harmful than water.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you add seafoam to your engine oil and to your gas tank, its gonna loosen all the sludge that is your valve cover, gas tank etc.... Well the sludge has to go some where and it will find the worst spots to go. When you steam clean the inside of your engine with water, your adding water to the intake manifold which then goes to the combustion chambers where the water becomes heated and acts like a steam cleaning basically burning everything off.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a few complaints regarding head gasket failure. I think that there are a lot of ways to interpret those results. You can either say that "seafoam can result in headgasket failure" or "if your headgasket is bad seafoam will let you know." This is pretty much the same argument about synthetic oil causing oil leaks on high mileage engines.

I did seafoam on my motor at around 110-115k, but I had my HG replaced at 90k. I think that it is safe to say that anyone with a high mile, poorly maintained engine can run into problems with just about anything.

As for the water vs. seafoam. I agree with you regarding the water. However I don't see how you are saying that seafoam through the gas or IM will cause sludge to just fall any worse than water would. seafoam in the crankcase is a different story. If anyone plans on doing that, best to do it before their scheduled oil change.

edit: I'm an idiot. I changed my timing belt at 90k, not my HG. So I'm still on the original one with about 116K and a seafoam treatment around 110k or so.

Modified by kommon_sense at 1:25 AM 9/16/2004
Old 09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As for the water vs. seafoam. I agree with you regarding the water. However I don't see how you are saying that seafoam through the gas or IM will cause sludge to just fall any worse than water would. seafoam in the crankcase is a different story. If anyone plans on doing that, best to do it before their scheduled oil change.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm referring to the people that put seafoam in there valve cover, I have seen some nasty valve covers with sludge inside, well if this breaks down the sludge its gonna fall in to the valve train area and can fall in some of the oil galleries.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I'm referring to the people that put seafoam in there valve cover, I have seen some nasty valve covers with sludge inside, well if this breaks down the sludge its gonna fall in to the valve train area and can fall in some of the oil galleries.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok... I'm with you there... Wasn't trying to be difficult, but I like to get to the facts
Old 09-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok... I'm with you there... Wasn't trying to be difficult, but I like to get to the facts </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand
Old 09-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh look, they kissed and made up.

back to the subject!