Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i dont know what my issue is...rings? valve seals?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i dont know what my issue is...rings? valve seals?

so my car is smoking a greyish black color and i know that means oil or whatever and yes i am burning oil....so the thing is i did a compression test and it was
1. 230
2. 230
3. 225
4. 225

and i was thinking rings at first but with compression like this i dont think it can be but then i think valve seals/guides but my car doesnt smoke all the time...it really only smokes when i punch it and get on the gas real hard. So is there anyone out there that can tell me my problem or am i just crazy?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Re: i dont know what my issue is...rings? valve seals?

SOMEONE PLEASE I DONT UNDERSTAND WTF IS MY PROBLEM....LOL PLEASE
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like your running rich if its dark smoke.... burning oil would be a white/blue smoke.

but if it is in fact burning oil, sounds like your valve stem seals, those typically only leak when there is excessive load on the engine, bad rings would smoke while cold or warm, and while idling and no load as well.

by the way a compression check only tells the condition of your first 2 rings, a compression check cannot indicate the condition of your oil control rings.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^

What he said. The black/grey smoke sounds like a rich condition to me. So you said you know your using oil? So I assume your having to top off between 3,000 Mile oil changes, etc?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 AM

YES I DO. I USE ABOUT AND EXTRA QUART IN BETWEEN OIL CHANGES AND SOMETIMES MORE. SO WHAT IS IT THAT COULD BE CAUSING THE OIL BURNING OR LOSS? OIL CONTROL RINGS?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 quart per 3000 miles is normal, and actually pretty good... especially if your engine is a Vtec engine. most manufacturers say 1 quart loss per 1,000 is normal and acceptable. you also probobly have oil seepage from gaskets and seals and such, and with normal acceptable oil burning 1 quart per 3000 is good.

so as i said before, sounds like your running rich.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 AM

ok kool even though it is just a sohc vtec....so should i just go get it tuned real good and they will fix the richness?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, you need to get it FIXED lol.... leaking fuel injector, ect. something like that is causing it to be rich
Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 AM

how could i figure out exactly what it is....i mean what all should i check?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM

i mean what should i check for in order to find what could be causing this running rich? what all parts?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 AM

My B18c is doing the same kind of thing. High comp. numbers even did a leak down test and numbers were good. So I changed the valve stem seals but still smokes on deceleration. The only thing left is to change the rings but I can't bring myself to tearing down the motor for a little smoke.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM

that is what im saying and evidently im not doing too bad i guess if i am only going through a little over a quart to a quart and a half per oil change...right?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM

could this have anything to do with maybe my pcv valve? because i dont know if it has ever been changed???
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redprelude98
could this have anything to do with maybe my pcv valve? because i dont know if it has ever been changed???
probobly not

and just take it to a honda dealer... bite the bullet and pay them to diag it
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY OPINIONS?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
1 quart per 3000 miles is normal, and actually pretty good... especially if your engine is a Vtec engine. most manufacturers say 1 quart loss per 1,000 is normal and acceptable. so as i said before, sounds like your running rich.
Not saying this is technically false information. But I would like you to post the articles you have read where manufacturers(exspecially Honda) said it is normal for an engine to consume 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles. I would just like to see the evidence backing what you said in your post.

I ran the dog **** out of my old D16Z6 and changed the oil every 3,000 miles and it never used any oil. The oil level was at the same spot on the dipstick after 3000 miles as it was when I filled it up at the oil change. My LS uses a tiny bit of oil between 3000 mile changes due to the fact I have both cam seals seaping and the head plug seaping a bit.

Some of his gaskets seeping could cause an oil loss as you said(IE: Valve Cover, Cam Seal, Dist. oring, oil pan, etc)but those gaskets would have to be seeping to the point of leaving drops on the ground when parked to see a loss of 1 quart over a 3000 mile period. My brother's D16Z6 has a pretty heavy oil pan gasket leak as well as VTEC Solonoid..it leaves drips wherever he parks..and over 3,000 miles you still only see roughly a 1/4 of a quart of oil loss.

But until I am proved otherwise by articles from Honda where they are stating its normal for there engines to consume a quart of oil every 1,000 miles..I call BS.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM

ok well i do not have oil on the ground at all where i park my car
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how is your mileage and did you test compression after the engine was up to operating temp
Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redprelude98
ok well i do not have oil on the ground at all where i park my car
Well my opinion is you have something else going on. Unless in fact Honda states its normal for there engines to consume a quart of engine oil every 1000 miles which I think is false.

Exactly what engine is this anyways?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM

it is a d16y8. it was at operating temp.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have any check engine lights on?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
Well my opinion is you have something else going on. Unless in fact Honda states its normal for there engines to consume a quart of engine oil every 1000 miles which I think is false.

Exactly what engine is this anyways?
his engine is d16y8..read the OP's signature

http://forums.s2kca.com/archive/index.php/t-1178.html

granted it is for the s2000 but i wont be able to find oil consumption related articles on d16y8. but still this should give you a little insight on honda motors and thier oil consumption. you can almost rate the s2000 and b16 and b18c together as "the high reving performance motors" and i would even consider those in the same category of each other.

for those who are to lazy to click the post and scroll.. this is what it basically says.

7 OIL CONSUMPTION
Honda has asked it dealers to Tell Customers About S2000 Oil Consumption. Due to the high performance nature of the ‘00 and ‘01 S2000, its engine can consume a quart of oil in 1,000 miles when driven at high rpm. So Honda suggests S2000 owners follow these guidelines:

7A CHECK LEVEL. Check the engine oil level every time they fill the fuel tank.

7B READING DIPSTICK. Be aware that the oil dipstick goes through the cylinder head, so engine oil draining back into the oil pan can wet the dipstick and give deceptive readings. So look at both sides of the dipstick, and then use the lowest reading.

7C CONSUMPTION. During the first 600 miles (the car’s break-in period), the engine may consume even more than a quart of oil; customers should add Honda 10W-30 or other high-quality petroleum-based oil of that viscosity to the factory-fill oil, as needed to restore the oil to the proper level.

7D WEIGHT OF OIL. For optimum fuel economy and year-round engine protection, customers should use only the 10W-30 weight of engine oil. This is a revision from the 5W-30 recommended in the owner’s manual.

7E BREAK-IN OIL. Because the piston rings, piston rod bearings, cam bearings, and crankshaft main bearings continue to “break in” during the first 5,000 to 7,500 miles, factory-fill oil is provided in the engine of the delivered car. The factory-fill oil has special additives, so it should be left in the engine until the first oil change: 7,500 miles, under “Normal Conditions.”

Reportedly, the oil is slightly thinner than normal and contains more Molybdenum to provide the "slipperiness" that thinner oil may lose.

7F OIL CHANGE. If the oil is changed at 3,500 miles because the car was driven under “Severe Conditions,” replace the factory fill oil only with 10W-30 petroleum-based oil.

7G SYNTHETIC OIL. Do not use any synthetic oil for the first 7,500 miles. Synthetic oil is excellent protection for the car’s engine, but it should not be used before 7,500 miles since it will not allow the rings, bearings, etc. to “break in” properly.

go ahead and say.. "this sint HONDA saying this!!" but the fact of the matter is that oil consumption is very well known in the tuner import world. and whoever worte this article for s2k seems very smart and informative about honda in general. i dont work for teh dealer so i dont have acceess to books or memos about honda oil consumption

go ahead and say this isnt concrete evidence.. and once again "I" personally cant show you any proof since i dont work for honda.

Last edited by waaBAAH; 07-19-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That may be on an s2000, but I've run b and d series motors like all hell and had no noticeable oil consumption. The only time I have ever seen ANY noticeable oil consumption is when my valve cover seal was leaking.
Oil consumption may be common in other imports....? but definitely not common in our b or d series hondas, especially not 1 quart every 1000.....that's almost laughable to hear something like this.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 AM

wow im actually having the same issue with my b16a2 and i honestly thougth it was my piston rings also... im really close to buying them and replacing them but now i dont wanna waste my money on them if thats not the problem... again i have the same issues where i smoke only when i floor it and i burn quiet a bit of oil.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 AM

yeah but how was ur compression because like i said mine is good all the way across the board and idk what to do so my thought is now i am hoping that it is just running rich because i checked last night and i have a gas smell on my dipstick...is that bad?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i dont know what my issue is...rings? valve seals?