Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i dont know what this is, but it frightens me like a child

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i dont know what this is, but it frightens me like a child

Today was the 1st day of heavy rain and snow. almost a foot of snow on top of ice. Drove to work today, took almost 2 hours, had to flutter or feather the throttle alot to keep traction (10mph almost whole way w/traffic). Alot of stop and go.

Everything was fine untill i pulled into the parking lot. All the sudden i could press the gas, and the revs wouldnt go up. Like somebody cut the throttle cable. I know its probably something along the lines as a stuck throttle cable, but it gets worse. It happend 3 times, and i panicked. durring idle the idle would drop from 800rpms, down to below 500rpms slowly, then jerk back up. Did this 3 times. I made a **** immediatly.

I dont think its the cable because if the throttle cable was jammed, then the pedal would be stiff, or not work at all. it did this 3 times with 30 second intervals.

popped the hood, everything looks good and dry as far as i can see. My car has never done this for 3-4 years. scares me. Oh yea and im slammed too. anybody else have anyproblems with being dropped/having issues in the snow? Oh and it took quite a bit to get my car to start today, so my fears are saying fuel.

Modified by YoungKadafi at 7:27 PM 12/21/2006
Old 12-21-2006, 04:45 PM

no code, so not sure whats going on. However here is a problem ive been having, which is directly related to this.

My engine is LOUD! not knocking loud, but sounds like it has indigestion/diareha. Its not a steady sound either, and happens at certain RPMS. When the RPms get low, it sounds like a noisy stomoch. Would this be fuel, related?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

first off i would like to put out that your car did not drop to 50 rpms..the bottom line on the tach (if stock) is most likely 500. anything below that and your car will die.

second...i dunno what happened...good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM

it was a misprint.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM

you might have sucked in a little bit of water.. maybe ?.. do you have a CAI on it?....
Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 PM

no short ram...filter was pretty dry...ive drivin through huge pudles with a CAI with no problems, so its pretty rare it could be water in the intake
Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM

check spark plug/wires/dizzy...?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: i dont know what this is, but it frightens me like a child (YoungKadafi)

Maybe you got some bad gas? This happened to me once and I thought my throttle cable was broken or something but the actual pedal was moving as smoothly as ever.

You only get problems when you're driving slowly right? neighborhoods/parking lots?

A lot of places (even grocery stores, the one I work at anyway) carry bottles of gas treatment. I put the bottle in immediately with no results. After I burnt the tank I filled up at a different gas station, put another bottle of gas treatment in and also a fuel injector cleaner for good measure (This was probably a little overboard , maybe someone else here would have a better idea on how much fluid and when?). Anyways that cleared my problem up.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: i dont know what this is, but it frightens me like a child (onacouch)

sounds like something electrical to me. I'm willing to bet its either the dizzy, spark plugs, or wires.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i dont know what this is, but it frightens me like a child (93eg2james)

not likely, but possible. you have coolant running through your TB right? could be freezing.. but you say it wouldn't work 1 minute, then work fine hte next. plus this was after you were driving. iono, just a thought since you said there was lots of snow and ice.

definately check out your throttle.. system? pedal, connections to the cable, the cable itself, and the connections to the TB, the TB itself.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:01 AM

update: this morning on the way to work, my car totally stalled out. I was pressing the gas pedal down, and just couldnt keep the revs up. Pulled over and popped the hood. Checked the oil 1st, and looked like it had bubbles way down at the bottom. Which there was VERY little oil there (probably because the oil was curculated around the engine)

I waited a second and went, the problem didnt happen the rest of the way.

Could it be bad gas? i already had a bottle of cheveron techron in this tank. So im scared it might be somethingelse. I have new plugs/cap/rotor. I did put my sparkplug wires in looms tho, Is it easy to say, Crimp or sever a spark plug wire? Theyre in plastic looms, and also in those little spark plug wire plastic brackets. Possibly one was crushed and has a bad connection.

But im thinking fuel somehow, while driving the exhaust tone pulsates kinda. You know the sound when you have 2 fans running at slightly different speeds. thanks for the help so far, im going to research all effing day.

What i really wanna be asking is, does it sound like something internal? Im kinda low on oil, and havent changed it in 8k miles (amsoil). If its not internal, i can replace everything possible, and spend hours tonight diagnosing, just dont wanna be stranded on the highway durring this snow storm because my timing belt snapped or blew something. thanks!

Modified by YoungKadafi at 7:27 AM 12/22/2006
Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

first off 8k without an oil change and running "kinda low" on oil is never a good thing, I don't care what kind of oil it is. "bubbles" in the oil is also not a good thing. Noticing that the oil is VERY low and not doing a damn thing about is is just stupid.
First, get a damn oil change and unless you're trying to blow it up, don't run it anywhere near low on oil. If you're really that low that could be your problem.
Is your timing belt due to be changed? If not, don't worry about it.
If your cap|rotor|plugs and wires are OEM and new I also wouldn't worry about those. So, coil and ignitor... test em (most the time the coil just ***** out all at once... so, unlikely but possible).
How's your gas mileage? Smell rich? Soot on the bumper? What do the spark plugs look like?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you bypass the coolant from the throttle body? Cuold be frozen stuff in there. Did it bog when you gave it more throttle?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM

not bypassed, ill check and probably change oil tonight, ill see what happens