Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I Can Haz VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Can Haz VTEC?

I have turned sixteen. This means, I want a car now. I need money for insurance (at least). I get a job. I now need transportation to this job, thus, I need a car.

That having been said, my father and I went car shopping. I found a couple cars, but not much. On the drive home, I spot a silver honda civic in the parking lot, that wasn't there that morning when we left. I check it out, it turns out to be a 98' EX coupe.
Even better, it's in my price range, and to top it all off, it only has 71k miles. So I call the guy up, and ask to go see it the next day. I look at it, and it's in good mechanical shape, the timing belt was changed about a month before he put it on sale, and the oil was changed then too. The interior is in great shape for a car almost 10 years old. So I go for a drive in it, and it's great, no knocking or anything. I get back to the place we met the guy and ask my parents, "I can haz VTEC?" (I break into lolcat-speak at any given time). My mother says, "Tomarrow" The next day, we get all the money together and purchase the car. I drove home in my new(to me) honda civic. It feels like a great car. I drove by a friend's house and took him for a spin in it. I mashed the gas pedal and was like, "DOOD! THE VTEC KICKED IN!" He wasn't paying attention, because we were doing 65mph down a residential street.

So, now it's time for some pics:

The black bit you see is where the person who owned it before me had a vanity license plate, which i promptly removed.

This is one of only two discrepancies with the car, the spoiler is peeling a bit. I guess I can just remove it and have a body shop color match the body and repaint it

The craptasmicles that is a Blaupunkt radio. It's old #1. And I believe it was put in for a the cd player function. They put in a new keyless system, because they were too dumb to get the harness and stash the factory radio somewhere. I know this because the Blaupunkt box was in the trunk holding the stock radio.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but, I am going to replace the headunit (and speakers at some point) because the cd player skips around the curves. I know the alarm they put in is useless because, i left the window down, closed the door armed the alarm, and reached in the car and opened the door....nothing. So, i am going to have to find that alarm and rip it out and replace the headunit with the proper harness and buy another factory keyfob.

All that being said, I do think that the factory speakers are pretty good, they distort easy, but for a 10 year old car that didn't even have cassete when it rolled off the lot, not bad. Two questions:

1) I am going to put components up front, is it possible to put the tweeters where the sail panel ones are now?
2) Do I HAVE to take the rear seats out for the rear deck, can't I just leave them folded down and work from there?

Thanks for the help and 2-7 minutes of your life (depending on how long it took you to read this.)
Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (Jeffzoom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I drove by a friend's house and took him for a spin in it. I mashed the gas pedal and was like, "DOOD! THE VTEC KICKED IN!" He wasn't paying attention, because we were doing 65mph down a residential street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

1 2 D (OVER DRIVE)
Old 07-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (ohnoitsryan)

sigh. Please...don't be a typical ricer kid and drive reatarded, by which i mean hitting vtec on a freaking residential street. At this point you seem to be interested in audio. Here https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/27 you'll get a lot more answers there.

Well, congrats on the car, looks like it was in good shape. And in case you didn't know, your car has a D16Y8 if you'll ever need to know. Is it stick or auto? Be thankful you have a decent car when you just turned 16.

If i were in your position, instead of security, i'd turbo you're sohc motor, but then again, if you're going to speed around neighborhoods all day long......
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: (unbelievableEG)

take it easy guys... we were all 16 at some point. but serisously op around here talkin about street racing and haulin *** in residential areas will get you flamed like no other... save it for the track bro please

gratz on the car
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM

#1) I did it once, I don't normally drive like that.
#2) I have no wishes to do anything other than a CAI (for the gas milage) and a nice cat back that doesn't sound like your momma's vibrator fell on a beer can.
#3) It's an auto. Which is fine, I drove a stick for a month before I got this, and it was just plain annoying. I mean, with a civic, the mpg or two extra isn't worth it, and the car doesn't have enough umph to be enough fun to manually shift.
This is mostly in part to the fact that the area inwhich I live is 100% flat and there are no curvy roads.

Just so you know, I did it because it was on MY street and it is only two lanes, and all the house are 500 feet back from the water. There was no traffic, and I have seen people do in excess of 100mph on this street, which is not very long to begin with.

I have no intentions of getting a ticket, because just one and I am done driving until I move out of the house.

That said:
Is there a way to find out if I have ABS without mashing the brakes?
Also, thanks Boost_V, all I knew was that I had Vtec

Lastly, I am VERY thankful and grateful for what I got.
I must say however it was a fantastic deal.

I have an appreciation for a good car now, as what I had to drive to work for a month was Disgusting. To put it shortly, the carpet was completely covered in coffee, and it had no a/c (not good in summer florida), and the clutch was on it's way out.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (Jeffzoom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#1) I did it once, I don't normally drive like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you're 16... which means you've probably only had your license for 7months max... so saying you normally don't drive like that... you don't have a normally yet
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope you drive into a telephone pole
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: (94c1v1cex)

However, I had a permit for a year. Which was just like driving, but with a robot that tells you to "WATCHOUT" and "gooverthere" but never actually tells you where you are going.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM

ya now you don't have the "robot" to tell you to watch out... and tell you not to be an IDIOT and hit vtec on residential streets doing 65mph... i'm trying to be nice but that's ignorant
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (94c1v1cex)

I wasn't going to be like that either, until I got my $1300 speeding ticket.

Leave it alone and drive it like what it is for two years. AN AUTOMATIC, GIRL CAR.

Corvette = High 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile

Your civic = High 17 in the 1/4 mile.

Both get about 28mpg.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM

Ek Forever Guy hit the nail on the head.

I was a chick's car.

I plan to do that, just wanted to do it once.

I also should mention that my friend was in the car, and I was on a deserted road.

I hit the Vtec once and I am getting flamed.

Does it kill a kitten everytime someone does it or something?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it kill a kitten everytime someone does it or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you potentially kill a pedestrian or a family in their minivan.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (solbrothers)

I know, I just read the first post (later read the rest) and was being an *******.

Not when that family minivan has more horsepower and can outrun the civic, lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Remind me to flick you off if i see you driving on my side of Orange Park.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (ke98248)

wow.

don't ever let "THE VTEC" kick in around my residential road. .

congrats on getting your first honda though. please drive it calmly.

i dont know one person who didnt wreck their first car. .
mainly because they wanted to hit vTaK y0! on residential streets.

just lookin out.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I He wasn't paying attention, because we were doing 65mph down a residential street.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I also should mention that my friend was in the car, and I was on a deserted road.

I hit the Vtec once and I am getting flamed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you just lying. A residential road is NEVER deserted. You think it is, then a kid runs into the road and next you're lying your *** off to the officer as he reads you your rights. Virginia has it right. It's illegal for teens to drive with a) other teens b) and talk on the cell phone.

Sure I hit VTEC going 65 mph ON THE HIGHWAY, oh and in 1st gear on the 45 mph roads.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (laserspeeddemon)

tisk tisk stepbrother jeffrey.

should of gotten a teg.

vtec...ehh ok.

dont speed you know your mom she'll catch you faster than gray when you steal his gameboy.

it looks ok.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That said:
Is there a way to find out if I have ABS without mashing the brakes?
Also, thanks Boost_V, all I knew was that I had Vtec

Lastly, I am VERY thankful and grateful for what I got.
I must say however it was a fantastic deal.

I have an appreciation for a good car now, as what I had to drive to work for a month was Disgusting. To put it shortly, the carpet was completely covered in coffee, and it had no a/c (not good in summer florida), and the clutch was on it's way out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like youve been flamed enough to realize your stupidity sooo

if you pop your hood you'll find an ABS pump IF you have ABS. thats an easy way to check. you cant miss it i mean the damn thing has ABS written all over it.

honestly, you should have gotten a manual. yea the extra mpg is worth it and it makes driving much more fun. yea the civic is slow, but an auto one is even slower. and ive ridden in a '00 ex coupe before. i couldnt even feel the mAd VtAk!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

yeah, i would have gotten manual, but..... here's the deal, as far as the ABS, check what ^^^above me said.

ANd what has helped me is a Chilton Manual 1996-2000 Civic Get it
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn son, dat iznitch is off da hingezzz!! yo yo, take yo ranfla over to da 1320. i bet dat g-ride be hittin like 19's all day. sick!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeffzoom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I mashed the gas pedal and was like, "DOOD! THE VTEC KICKED IN!" He wasn't paying attention, because we were doing 65mph down a residential street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

paying attention or not, he wouldnt have felt a damn thing.

1.6L sohc + auto = poo
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (ohnoitsryan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohnoitsryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This what happened after the test drive lol
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (JdmMeister)

thread makes me laugh.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: I Can Haz VTEC? (slowmanEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Can Haz VTEC?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I never driven an ex, but owned a 99 gsr, 00 ITR, and driven many 99-00 s.i I don't think your sohc vtec equals to **** and isn't something to brag about especially connected to a fagomatic tranny

Quick Reply: I Can Haz VTEC?