Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I buy a new headunit and WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I buy a new headunit and WTF...

look at all these wires:

my stereo got stolen and IM trying to install a new one but the wiring in my 93 Civic ex dash is different, it is just the antenna plug and one big socket connector
Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (VTECsound)

you have to buy the adapter, they usually run you like $18 at best buy or some store like that. It's pretty simple to understand just dont remove the tags on the wires until you are all done.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (FERIOkid)

Where in Vegas do you live man? If you need help let me know.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where in Vegas do you live man? If you need help let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
near Paradise Rd and Desert Inn near the Las Vegas Convention Center
Old 10-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol O RLY?

well if you buy a harness it will be labelled just like the headunit is, all you have to do is crimp/ solder the right wires together
Old 10-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol O RLY?

well if you buy a harness it will be labelled just like the headunit is, all you have to do is crimp/ solder the right wires together</TD></TR></TABLE>
you have to solder
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (VTECsound)

The easiest thing to do would have been to replace your deck with the same one you had and you wouldn't have had to change a thing I think only Alpine and Pioneer use the same harness for Hondas.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The easiest thing to do would have been to replace your deck with the same one you had and you wouldn't have had to change a thing I think only Alpine and Pioneer use the same harness for Hondas.</TD></TR></TABLE>
damn I have already bought the headunit over a month ago so I can't return it
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What brand headunit is that? circuit city will have an an adaptor to go from the radio to your car harness without any soldering. Just go there with your head unit an talk to someone in the install shop
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (PURPLETERROR aka BIGMATT)

It's Insignia - Best Buys brand name apparently.

I'm assuming its like this

http://www.insignia-products.c....aspx
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why the hell would you wanna return it? just buy the harness for $20 or cut the stock connector and solder the wires. Look in a service manual or search google to find out what wire does what and you're set to go. With the harness it's easier to match the colors and you don't have to cut your stock wiring.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's Insignia - Best Buys brand name apparently.

I'm assuming its like this

http://www.insignia-products.c....aspx</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually this one http://www.insignia-products.c....aspx
Old 10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont see the problem??? just get an adapter, or you can use your harness and just connec the wires.

if you need the wire codes ill send that to you, and you just connect it to the radio wires. most is all the same color...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont see the problem??? just get an adapter, or you can use your harness and just connec the wires.

if you need the wire codes ill send that to you, and you just connect it to the radio wires. most is all the same color...</TD></TR></TABLE>
link to the Insignia to honda adapter??
Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the hell would you wanna return it? just buy the harness for $20 or cut the stock connector and solder the wires. Look in a service manual or search google to find out what wire does what and you're set to go. With the harness it's easier to match the colors and you don't have to cut your stock wiring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to clarify I was never suggesting he returns his head unit. I was simply stating it would have been easier if he had bought the same head unit he had to begin with if he wanted the "easy way out."
Old 10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECsound &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
link to the Insignia to honda adapter??</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea its that easy.... it looks like your oem honda radio back clip and has wires coming out.. you clip it to your oem car side radio clip, (this prevents any cutting of oem wiring.) and then just wire it to the radio. and about 90% of the color code is the same.. you wont be using the blue, orange wires since those are for power antenna and illumination. the aftermarket radios use the illumination power through the hotwire..

like i said if you need the honda oem radio color codes i can send them. and just look at the radio wires and they usually have a little tag as to what those connect to (R + speaker wire etc)
Old 10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

**edit.... this is the car side connector. you want the male connector looks similiar just has pins coming out...look at your oem radio.

i got mine years ago for like $5.00 brand new... you will pay more at any walk in store.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem</TD></TR></TABLE>
but this is the car's wiring harness not a oem honda radio. I don't have a oem radio
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 PM

well im going to best buy now wish me luck
Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM

all you do is goto best buy get the adaptor and match the wires from the radio to the adaptop COLOR FOR COLOR, no looking up ****. If you can see colors you can do that. then plug the adaptor into the cars wiring harness (It only goes in one way) and the other end into your radio. Done deal.........
Old 10-05-2005, 03:42 PM

check out http://www.installdr.com
Old 10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks like nothign compared to my Clarion Head unit
Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The easiest thing to do would have been to replace your deck with the same one you had and you wouldn't have had to change a thing I think only Alpine and Pioneer use the same harness for Hondas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf? dude this is honda-tech not I think i know so i will post-tech. They do not use same harness mr.joe tech. expletive paying 18 bucks for one. Go to a mom and pops stored buy the aftermarket harness for 10 bucks that will plug into your stock harness and color will be the same as radio harness. All you have to do is connect them and then plug in the plug into your car. You can connect your wire by either soldering them which is best way or buying cheap crimpers and "white caps connectors" and crimping them together. Kragen sell krimper/connector kits for cheap or you might even have one around and just get the connectors.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I buy a new headunit and WTF... (PURPLETERROR aka BIGMATT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PURPLETERROR aka BIGMATT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What brand headunit is that? circuit city will have an an adaptor to go from the radio to your car harness without any soldering. Just go there with your head unit an talk to someone in the install shop</TD></TR></TABLE> screw that its like 30 bucks for both harness there, one that you dont even need cause it already comes with your radio. Those harnesses where designed for the installers to finish a job 10 minutes faster so they can move on to next car and make you pay for their convenience. I used to work there. just do what I suggeste. Its cheaper and same thing
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the hell would you wanna return it? just buy the harness for $20 or cut the stock connector and solder the wires. Look in a service manual or search google to find out what wire does what and you're set to go. With the harness it's easier to match the colors and you don't have to cut your stock wiring.</TD></TR></TABLE> another moron. <FONT SIZE="4">DONT CUT STOCK HARNESS&gt; THAT IS GHEY AND GETTO AND WRONG</FONT>

Quick Reply: I buy a new headunit and WTF...