Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I BLEW A HOLE IN MY BLOCK> WEIRD SITUATION THO! HELP!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I BLEW A HOLE IN MY BLOCK> WEIRD SITUATION THO! HELP!

i[B] own a sing. cam. vtec turbo eg. it is a D16Z6. i have a greddy emanage and finally figured out how to get it to boost the amount the seller was told was possible. getting on it from first through second it pulled like a dream. faster than i had hoped it would! but... we herd it start to run like it was only running on three cylinders and there was oil all over. first thought: oil line popped off. after getting a better look at the oil line and pan we realized there was a whole in the block bigger than a bar of soap. there was no noise indacating the blow. which we cant figure out! do i have some sort of internal problem? what brands should i use to build it better this time! HELP!!! [/B]
Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Re: I BLEW A HOLE IN MY BLOCK> WEIRD SITUATION THO! HELP! (ilubmieg)

PLEASE IM DESPRATE FOR HELP! i want to rebuild as soon as possible!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Pics of the carnage? (that's just the rubbernecker in me talking)...

Was it a standard Greddy turbo kit?

Seriously, for help on turbo d builds try http://www.turbod16.com/index.php - lots of good info and opinions.

Just curiosity-wise how much boost did you put through it? Stock bottom end Ds aren't good for much more than 220hp on a good tune (I'm sure someone will contradict me on that, but that's just what I've seen).
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh man that sucks. i tell u tho i had the same thing happen to me, not even under boost. it was on a stock motor, it just had bad bearings and when i revved it up to hard it just threw the rods right thru the side of the motor and of course oil and smoke went everywhere, i just stayed on the gas cuz i knew it was done, looked like a plane going down, people beeping at me to pull over, engine lights flashing at me hardcore i was just trying to get it home. Got about 3 blocks from my house before it was just a pile of steaming busted metal under the hood. lol. holes like u said the size of bars of soap.

That was a bearing problem, and I over revved it basically. The main thing that can cause what happened to you or (mechanical failure) with boost, is a bad tune. Any type of lean condition, causes extreme heat and will ruin pistons almost instantly. Thats what it sounds like happened to you, or a combination of the two. was there alot of miles on the bottom end of that motor? If so the bearings were probably toasty as well. you probably threw a wrist pin and put a rod thru the side of the block. Then again, the block could have just had a weak spot and when u had high cylinder pressure from the boost it just gave out and blew a hole. I would say next time just make sure u have a good tune, which means RICH RICH RICH. rich doesnt hurt things like lean does. I mean it can wash down the cylinder walls and ruin your rings and seals, but it wont blow up from being too rich. hope this helps!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you boosted WAYYYYY past the limit because of what someone told you...