Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hydrolocking motor with AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolocking motor with AEM CAI

I was wondering how many people in the SoCal LA area actually ended up messing up their motors because of AEM or even other brand CAI. I just got one so i wanted to see if it is worth it to get rid of it and basically make my own with the stick box or if i should just keep it.
thanx
Old 12-29-2003, 01:19 PM
ng

Why don't you get the bypass valve?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hydrolocking motor with AEM CAI (1C9R9X3)

i had a CAI on my coupe for a long time,and have had one on my hatch for about 4 years....as long as you drive with some common sense,you'll be okay.just don't try to drive through any knee deep puddles at WOT.if you're still worried,get the bypass valve thing.
chris
Old 12-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Agreed, I have had a CAI for like 2 yrs now and never had any problems. Just drive like you have some sence in the rain and you'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One time when it was pissing rain, I was driving home and a Integra was stoped in about 1.5 feet of water with his hood poped. Poor guy.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ebay cai and i've never had problems...but ever time i see a post about it it makes me want to change it more and more everyday.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: (USDMDC2)

first off the bypass valve only works when the filter/tube is fully submerged thus it won't prevent water from ruining your engine.

secondly if your worried just cut/take off the lower part. I'd rather have peace of mind than 2 HP
Old 12-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Grimm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grimm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off the bypass valve only works when the filter/tube is fully submerged thus it won't prevent water from ruining your engine.

secondly if your worried just cut/take off the lower part. I'd rather have peace of mind than 2 HP</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah thats my reasoning as well, if your going to get a bypass valve....why not just get a short ram...way cheaper and just as effective!!!

i'd never even think about getting cold air for my car.....the fear of ruining my motor is not worth the tiny hp gains to me!!

Old 12-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95cxhatch)

short ram for me!!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HATCHingMN)

a buddy of mine had a CAI and he didn't put the fender wells back in ( he JUST finished his motor swap B20) and he went through a small puddle, the water splashed on the filter and blew 5 holes in his block. Motor had 50 miles on it.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toolowsol)

go with short ram. that fewer HP will pay up for the hydrolocking in the end.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a buddy of mine had a CAI and he didn't put the fender wells back in ( he JUST finished his motor swap B20) and he went through a small puddle, the water splashed on the filter and blew 5 holes in his block. Motor had 50 miles on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
don't take this th wrong way,but that was just stupid.....it goes without saying that you definately want some kind of guard to keep water from being splashed onto the filter.
chris
Old 12-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a buddy of mine had a CAI and he didn't put the fender wells back in ( he JUST finished his motor swap B20) and he went through a small puddle, the water splashed on the filter and blew 5 holes in his block. Motor had 50 miles on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sucks hardcore man.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Taffeta_EXcpe)

yeah, it sucked for him, but i got his almost new clutch and light flywheel for $100+ecu trade
Old 12-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It happens when you least expect it.

Eagle rods bend too.

Air compresses better than water.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Plan B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plan B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Air compresses better than water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hence why its called an incompressible fluid.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a AEM CAI, and live in s.Cali. Truth is i do have problems with it. When its raining and I'm on the freeway, all the water thats splashing starts to get sucked in by the intake, car doesn't hydrolock, but my car starts to get really shaky. Like it wants to stall. I have to pop it into neutral, let it roll, then when I'm going to slow, put it back in gear and go. So now every time it rains i just borrow my dads truck. Why not get a bypass valve? if i do, then whats the point of having the AEM CAI?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a AEM CAI, and live in s.Cali. Truth is i do have problems with it. When its raining and I'm on the freeway, all the water thats splashing starts to get sucked in by the intake, car doesn't hydrolock, but my car starts to get really shaky. Like it wants to stall. I have to pop it into neutral, let it roll, then when I'm going to slow, put it back in gear and go. So now every time it rains i just borrow my dads truck. Why not get a bypass valve? if i do, then whats the point of having the AEM CAI?</TD></TR></TABLE>
do you have fender liners?if you do,there should be no way for water to splash onto the filter.i've driven both ym cars through all kinds of hardcore rain and NEVER had a problem.
chris
Old 12-29-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

I just cut my injen CAI to make it a short ram, i like it better now. U can really hear the roar of the intake now, with it being closer to the driver, and it is actually more responsive with the throttle. Short ram for me too
Old 12-29-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (Spoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a AEM CAI, and live in s.Cali. Truth is i do have problems with it. When its raining and I'm on the freeway, all the water thats splashing starts to get sucked in by the intake, car doesn't hydrolock, but my car starts to get really shaky. Like it wants to stall. I have to pop it into neutral, let it roll, then when I'm going to slow, put it back in gear and go. So now every time it rains i just borrow my dads truck. Why not get a bypass valve? if i do, then whats the point of having the AEM CAI?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i live in southern cali and have no problems in the rain. but everyone has different experiences.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hence why its called an incompressible fluid. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you like an engineering major or something, or is that something i should have heard.

It makes sense, but my buddies and I don't sit around talking about incompressible fluids.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Pooping on children

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plan B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It happens when you least expect it.

Eagle rods bend too.

Air compresses better than water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy **** that looks expensive the stock one probably would have snapped
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM

just get an iceman intake like me. during the rainy season just make it a short ram, then when the rainy season is over turn it back into a CAI. two intakes in one.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (Synergy001)

My Iceman CAI hydrolocked my D series AT IDLE so you don't need to be at WOT for problems. I created a bow-wave coasting across a "V" shaped dip that was deeper than I imagined. Still, insurance paid for a B series, so its all good in the end.

Never a problem in rain, no matter how heavy. I am wary of puddles now though!!

And stock rods snap like toothpicks!! Here's a link (Flash needed..just click through the nav button on the bottom right to see pics).

Steve
Old 12-29-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hydrolocking motor with AEM CAI (1C9R9X3)

I've had my aem cai for about 4 years now, and I haven't had any problems here in socal. As long as you have your fender liners and don't drive through huge puddles of water you should be fine. If it bothers you that much get a short ram.

Quick Reply: hydrolocking motor with AEM CAI