Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Hydrolock scare tonight (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/hydrolock-scare-tonight-940314/)

Mike_C 07-27-2004 06:51 PM

Hydrolock scare tonight

Been raining all day, I'm in the turning lane for the new place (significant because I didn't know the road too well) I'm living and POW huge puddle. I get out of the lane but I fear it's too late, the car is sputtering. I want to die... it's a stock airbox! I cut the car off and pull over to an office building where I call up my roomate to bring tools. I open up the airbox, bone dry. I sit there for a few minutes and try starting it, no problems. I head home, car runs perfectly. Anyone have any ideas of what the water could have affected on the passenger side? I touched just about everything, all bone dry.

Mike_C 07-28-2004 05:06 AM

nobody else has experienced something similar and found out the cause?

Grimm 07-28-2004 06:14 AM

Re: (MichaelJComputer)

never heard of hydrolocking thru a stock airbox? especially if it remained dry?

crx_88_si 07-28-2004 06:16 AM

could have splashed on the dizzy and it's wiring.

ProJectCvic 07-28-2004 06:18 AM

Re: (crx_88_si)

i have never heard of hydolocking a motor with stock air box without the car being submerge into wate. Electronic malfunction would be my guess.

mafioso102 07-28-2004 06:25 AM

Re: (crx_88_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could have splashed on the dizzy and it's wiring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

happened to me, same type of scenario

Deemeetree 07-28-2004 06:27 AM

Indeed. When I drive in the rain and sometimes water does splash up in big amounts, my distributor does get wet and pretty much all belts, that's when it bogs.

BTW, do you have your fender liner on or off? I bet you still can suck up some water if you had no fender liner and enough got thrown up into the airbox (if you have no resonator aswell).

Mike_C 07-28-2004 07:29 AM

yeah yeah i know it isn't hydrolocked since the airbox was dry... but after having hit the puddle and the car react the way it did... iassumed that's what it was. hence a hydrolock "scare." i check the dizzy and harness, both were dry... i'm still stumped. oh well, car is running fine now https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

alleyezonme 07-28-2004 12:38 PM

Yea thats a stumper!! What would happen if too much water got into your exhaust?? I'm just thinking about those offroad trucks with the exhausts that run up really high so no water gets in there. Was the puddle that big that water could have gotten in your exhaust and made it bog down?

hondachick05 07-28-2004 12:43 PM

Re: (bumpincivic20)

i know that when i hit a big puddle that my car tends to die on me. guess it drowns out but as far as hydrolocking nope. what i have to do is wait bout 10 mins or so til its dry and then start it again and it still runds good as ever. guess cables or something gets wet but nothing fatal

DonKey or Horse 07-28-2004 01:50 PM

Re: (ProJectCvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProJectCvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Electronic malfunction would be my guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chicano 07-28-2004 02:02 PM

Ever experienced that? lol yeah right the total opposite here on the west coast...so hot out cars are pulling over all over on the freeway because of overheating...but I guess i'd rather have heat trouble then an engine full of water https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif

LoSt is BlaCk 07-28-2004 02:58 PM

Re: (skaterguy)

it must have been electrical.

3.3.3 07-28-2004 03:02 PM

Re: (LoStMyBoOsT)

even if it splashes on the dizzy, that wont affect anything. you have to get water inside the head to the cylinders to hydrolock it.

Dengar 07-28-2004 03:46 PM

Re: (3 3 3)

I did the exact same thing one time. I hit a pretty big puddle I didn't see and the car stalled on me. I was scared to death. Turned the car back on and it acted as if nothing ever happened. I didn't give me any problems afterwards either.

honda9369 07-28-2004 03:51 PM

Re: (bumpincivic20)

Yea thats a stumper!! What would happen if too much water got into your exhaust?? I'm just thinking about those offroad trucks with the exhausts that run up really high so no water gets in there. Was the puddle that big that water could have gotten in your exhaust and made it bog down?

i had a old 4runner i was so deep in the water that my exhaust was blowin bubbles. had no problems

neon_ice 07-28-2004 04:04 PM

i gaurantee it was ur dizzy, same thing happend to me. if its running aight now, then u will be fine.