Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hydraulic clutch problems after swap....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic clutch problems after swap....

Heres the scoop.

Just finishing up a B18b swap in a 94vx hatch but I am having problems with the clutch.

During the swap I got ahold of a gsr tranny and bought a stage 4 clutch kit to go with it. After installing everything I'm trying to bleed the clutch and am getting no where.

Heres how I've tried to do it. I start by putting a tube on the bleeder screw and putting the other end into a container full of brake fluid. Then I have someone get in the car and pump the pedal and then hold it while I unscrew the screw. Pedal goes to the floor, fluid shoots out, and i tighten the screw and repeat. I hold the container higher than the clutch resevoir and also make sure the fluid in the resevoir is topped off.

When I go to "pump" the clutch it feels like I just hit a wall when I press down. It's stiff and doesn't move. And there is no change in the pedal feel after numerous attempts at bleeding.

Could there be a problem with one of the components of the clutch system? I'm using the clutch slave cylinder that came on the gsr transmission.

Thanks for any help....

YES I SEARCHED, nothing came up about a clutch that wouldn't move.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Hydraulic clutch problems after swap.... (integraracing91)

I don't know man, but a stage 4 Clutch is some serious ****! The pressure plate is going to be MUCH stronger with different lever points. That means it is going to be a much harder to press down the pedal. If I remember right the stage 4 down't even have springs to dampen the release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, you sure it is just not that? You don't have them skinny little chicken legs do ya?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Hydraulic clutch problems after swap.... (walla)

Sounds like the clutch is bleed correctly.

Can you have a friend push the pedal while you look to see if the slave is extending? I bet $20 its not because you got something wrong inside the bell housing when u put the clutch in.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know either. it'really a basic concept, I would say somethings not put on right or the slaves seized up do you still have the ls tranny? maybe swp out the slave. just throwin things out there.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know man, but a stage 4 Clutch is some serious ****! The pressure plate is going to be MUCH stronger with different lever points. That means it is going to be a much harder to press down the pedal. If I remember right the stage 4 down't even have springs to dampen the release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, you sure it is just not that? You don't have them skinny little chicken legs do ya?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sure hope not with my 250lb frame lol
If I push it too hard couldn't i break something?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ho bag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like the clutch is bleed correctly.

Can you have a friend push the pedal while you look to see if the slave is extending? I bet $20 its not because you got something wrong inside the bell housing when u put the clutch in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will definitely have to check that out thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cherroneballs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know either. it'really a basic concept, I would say somethings not put on right or the slaves seized up do you still have the ls tranny? maybe swp out the slave. just throwin things out there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

unfortunately it was sold awhile ago is there any compatability between the d series clutch slave cylinder? I may have one of those laying around.

Thank you for your responses
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM

I don't know if there is a compatibility issue on the swap but it does look like it is safest to take off the tranny and look at your install. Its pretty straighforward.

Slave cylinder has a rod and ball that sits in a nook on the bearing fork.
With this removed the bearing should slide freely on the mainshaft within the constraints of the fork.

That bearing in turn rests on the fingers of the pressure plate. (not when dissasembled).

not a whole lot of moving parts here so if you can't find the problem by taking off and remounting the slave cylinder. you might have to dissemble. to find out.

Anyone else know if they match? I imagine that the pressure points are going to be different on the fulcrum due to needing a stronger clutch for the b series motor.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM

adjust the clutch pedal itself under the dash
Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a d sereis one will fit.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if there is a compatibility issue on the swap but it does look like it is safest to take off the tranny and look at your install. Its pretty straighforward.

Slave cylinder has a rod and ball that sits in a nook on the bearing fork.
With this removed the bearing should slide freely on the mainshaft within the constraints of the fork.

That bearing in turn rests on the fingers of the pressure plate. (not when dissasembled).

not a whole lot of moving parts here so if you can't find the problem by taking off and remounting the slave cylinder. you might have to dissemble. to find out.

Anyone else know if they match? I imagine that the pressure points are going to be different on the fulcrum due to needing a stronger clutch for the b series motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! I will be trying all suggestions tomorrrow in the afternoon when i get a break from work and school.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superfast666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">adjust the clutch pedal itself under the dash</TD></TR></TABLE>

It worked fine before doing the swap.. think it could have gone out of whack? I'll take a look tomorrow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cherroneballs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a d sereis one will fit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it comes to it i'll see if I have one laying around to try that.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM

well I don't know exactly how I did it but it works!

Heres what I did...

I took the slave assembly off and gently pushed the pedal to see if it would move... it did, all over the place. So i reassembled it while cleaning and regreasing things put it back on and voila, a clutch that works. (well after bleeding it again)

I bled it by myself too and here's how ...

Took a container and filled it up just enough so a tube could be placed in the container and submerge the end of it. (ps on my EG hatch the container rested perfectly inbetween the radiator and radiator hose) Then i took the other end of the tube and attached it to the bleeder valve and opened the valve. Then I got in the car and started pumping the clutch, while refilling the resevoir when it got low, until there was what felt like a normal working clutch. Tighten the bleeder screw WHILE the tube is still on it and you're all done!

Thanks for everyones help!