Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which hybrid would you want?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which hybrid would you want?

Hi guys. I love this site, and spend a lot of time on 7thgencivic, but want to do a hatchback hybrid because they are more fun than the new 'Vic. My question is, besides weight, what are the highs and lows of the EF and EG chassis and which would you want to put a K20 or k24 in more? I searched, but cant find a good comparo. So my options for the future are a hatchback for twisty road racing, but still able to drag race well. I am wondering if the K24 is too heavy for great handling, because that torque would be fun in a 4th or 5th gen. So which would you take, a k20a2 EF hatch, k20 EG hatch, K24 frankenstein EF, or K24 frankie EG? I'm sure others would like to hear some educated opinions on this topic too. Also, doesn't the EG have more room for a turbo? Help a noobie pick his next PJ. Which combo would you pick for a tight handling and fast hatch? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (Import Al)

the k-series won't be too heavy for great handling...they are actually lighter than B-Series engines
Old 03-27-2004, 07:53 PM

its been said a few times, the K20 is about the same weight as a B16, while the K24 is about 15 lbs more. In comparison the H22A is something like 70lbs heavier then the B16.

but this kind of thing is found in the Hybrid section, and a quick search would have given the info faster....
Old 03-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (EG hatchie94)

So the K24 doesn't weigh that much more than the k20? Would a EG or EF handle better with the K swap? And does anyone know how much an average turbo kit adds to the K? If it is too much of a handling sacrifice, an all motor+nitrous K can still kick ***.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, niczed20. I guess most questions have already been answered before, so I should have searched harder.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:32 PM

as for which one would handle better between an EF and an EG. it would really come down to your suspesnion set-up. they are both light weight cars...it's not really gonna matter. like i said, the k-series are as light/lighter than the b-series so they would handle about the same as they would if you put a b-series in them.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:37 PM

k24 with a s2k head!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (5thgenjon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k24 with a s2k head!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
**** i don't think the guy's a millionaire
Old 03-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, usually i try not to participate in this kind of disscussion because 1 in 10 of these threads actually make it past the first "step" of the projects they entail... BUT... it's 2:37 in the morning and my head hurts like a mother, i just drank a large double double from timmy's... why not.

Just to generally help you out... the front/rear distribution will suffer with a K, B or H series swap. The stock D series engines are said to be roughly 90 pounds lighter so if you're concerned with handling to that extent, put that in to account. I doubt you really care that much about the weight bias to that extent though, although take into account that after you strip the interior and everything, your weight bias will suffer even more.

also, when you say "twisty road racing" wtf are you talking about? Are you going to actually road race (in which an engine swap might not be a good idea because of the more advanced class you'll be put in with an engine swap, judging by your question, the degree of drivers in your class will be far ahead of your own driving skills most likely and it might be a good idea to stick with a D16 or something... not to mention that money will be tight after swapping a K series into an EF/EG and buying good brakes and replacing tires and whatnot...) or are you going to do build an entire car for "twisty" street racing? I'm not going to say that's SUPER stupid... but most actually twisty roads... i can't imagine many people racing on. because there's not much traffic, they're usually two way two lane, it's hard to stay in the right lane and the speedlimit is like 60kmh... but then again how the hell would I know, I'm from Manitoba ferchrist sake. I know not of what goes on in the mountainous passes of... X city you live in.

Yes, the EG has more room for a turbo in the front of the bay with conventional swaps... Although with a K series swap you're more concerned with firewall clearance and **** because that's where the turbo is... From the EG swaps I've seen, the kits really put the engine far ahead so... i dunno. might help with the turbo... why do you want a turbo anyway for a "twisty road racer?"

for a "tight handling and fast hatch"... street driven that doesn't get taken to the track all that much... i guess a stockish K20A would be good for an engine and not really all that much out of the question for you... An EG would probably be the chassis to use because the EF swap kits aren't available and are also going to be hard to do for a "noobie" (or however you spell it in internet forum land) and probably won't come out for a good while...
Old 03-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (5thgenjon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k24 with a s2k head!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does that work? F-series head on a k-series block?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (MichaelJComputer)

The head gaskets line up... i dunno why you would want that head on a K24 block... if you want to rev that K24 the piston speeds are gonna be ZOOMIN' like Jim Carry on crack. Judging by what the K24 was designed for, and what the F20C was designed for... An S2000 bottom end which is similar in bore but shorter in stroke and has much longer rods would probably be superior for a performance car, don't you think?
Old 03-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (MichaelJComputer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does that work? F-series head on a k-series block?</TD></TR></TABLE>

brian G ruled that out already... the camshafts spin the wrong way

i bet you could make i work... but WHY? its not worth the cost, since a ported K20A2 head flows really well anyways. Also, as mentioned, the S2k head would be designed for higher RPM, which you will not be using.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which hybrid would you want? (the kid 86)

I wouldn't go to road or course races, just a street application. I live in Northern Cali, where there are lots of unbusy and fun "twisty" roads to pick. I guess if I got an EG or other hatch, a K swap would not leave me with much suspension, brakes and tire/wheel $, and I like balance and grip over power. I guess to do the whole shabang, it would be a lot cheaper to just turbo the D series and tune the susp. around it. But a K swap would rule.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:01 PM

Just remember the k24 is a different vehicle class and you won't be able to BAR the car legally. Something to think about.