Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HX TRANNY

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HX TRANNY

Ok so i have a blown d16y8 engine. i am trying to wrap my head on what to do. its a 2000 civic ex and the sixth digit of my vin is 8. i have a d16y8 engine on lock if i want to buy it however i want to seize this moment to get more power. will a B series fit my automatic transmission? (b18c1) (hx tranny) or would i have to swap that out as well. i am NOT scrapping my 6th gen....im on a tight leash in phoenix as engines are in HIGH demand so i need to be quick and precise. should i go for a used d16y8? or a b18c1? will the B fit my tranny? should i get the tranny to go with it? and if not the B series is there ANY "better" engines that will fit my tranny "as is" i know "better engines" is vague but basically something with more umph to "drop in" with a cherry picker.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HX TRANNY

no b series will fit your tranny...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

If you have an auto transmission then you have to get the same engine you or change a bunch of other things. You can not go B series with a D series transmission.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you can put a b-series transmission on your D http://www.mazworx.com/product/drive...on-adapter-kit

https://honda-tech.com/forums/performance-45/mazworx-d2b-adapter-kit-%7C-d-series-w-b-series-transmission-2883097/

Not sure why you would want to, but I'm sure there's a way to do it vice versa as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

ej1, you might want to re-read the thread. It's an automatic transmission. No, he can't put his motor on a B series motor. Period.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OIC gotcha..
Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

No a b-series will not fit your automatic. If you want to do an automatic b-series swap than you'll need to swap an entire b18 automatic swap with a custom passenger side bracket and redo the wiring to make everything work right.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 PM

A b-series Automatic into a 2000 civic is not something easily done.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by doctorake
Actually its about...........80% easily done because you can use a good portion of the CRV mounts and brackets and also use the same engine automatic engine harness. All you need to do is make the custom bracket for the passenger side mount, custom conversion harness to use an obd1 auto ecu and tcu.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Actually its about...........80% easily done because you can use a good portion of the CRV mounts and brackets and also use the same engine automatic engine harness. All you need to do is make the custom bracket for the passenger side mount, custom conversion harness to use an obd1 auto ecu and tcu.
You make it sound simpler than it is.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/automatic-b-series-ek-not-56k-friendly-2014152/

So when we undertook this swap we had no idea what we were in for. Unfortunately we completely under quoted for the work, at $500 for labor. Total hours spent were around 60.
The car was a 99 EK hatch, the engine was an interesting combination: It was an obd I ecu with an OBD II dizzy, However the entire engine combo was OBD I. The Ecu was a 4 Plug, Unlike the US spec automatic systems the JDM GSR Autos utilize the TCM inside the ECU. Upon Looking for a pin out for that ecu, I obviously wasn't able to find one. So we had to Plug all the harnesses together to the ecu and Reverse engineer the wiring system.
After finishing the wiring problems we had to install the engine. To make it fit we used the Manual Transmission 99 SI T bracket modified to fit the automatic. Part of the passenger side frame had to be trimmed so the transmission could sit in its proper place and a motor mount bracket had to be made from scratch on top of the transmission.
One of the biggest problems that was encountered was for a cable coming out of the transmission. the company that we bought the swap from had already sold the motor from the car they pulled the setup from so they mated it with a manual engine. The cable from the transmission connected to the wheel on the throttle body cam. Since it was a manual engine/throttle body there was to place to recieve this cable so I (quite ignorantly) assumed this was for cruise controll (I know bad assumption). After 1 burnt transmission I had to make a custom wheel, becuase the orientation was different than an LS auto.
Finally the Whole ordeal was completed, and other the driver we haven't had any problems. LOL J/K (not really).
Before you start ragging, yes, I know its pointless. And I dont want to go into why the customer did the auto. I just thought I'd post that it has been done. here are pics and vids. Sorry for the poor spelling, grammar, etc. but I'm feeling lazy.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Fish Twig

I've done my research from CRV platform to civic platform, taken a look at subframes engine mounts, brackets and harnesses.

EDIT: Yes I also know that if you go with the obd1 tranny there might be fitment issues but thats something that needs to be worked out. But if it were my way I would go completely OBD2 and run everything from a CRV.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:24 PM

You managed to completely avoid the fact that you have to physically notch or replace the frame rail to fit the B auto transmission. You're severely over-simplifying it.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by NotARacist
You managed to completely avoid the fact that you have to physically notch or replace the frame rail to fit the B auto transmission. You're severely over-simplifying it.
I edited my post and included that. Thats why its called projects, research what you need and know what you are getting into.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by NotARacist
I edited my post and included that. Thats why its called projects, research what you need and know what you are getting into.
Op doesn't seem to be looking for a crazy project, just a fast replacement.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Fish Twig

You make it sound simpler than it is.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014152

Ahh, I remember that and thats how I remembered the passenger side frame rail had to be modified. I could not find the website but thanks for posting this.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Fish Twig

Op doesn't seem to be looking for a crazy project, just a fast replacement.
And I answered. I gave him insight on what to expect if he wanted to go the auto route. There is a reason why he wanted to know if a b-series would mate to his automatic d-series.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet thanks for the input guys. 33 i went out to my buddy who rebuilds engines and grabbed a D16y8 completely rebuilt. he is swapping it in at hs shop over the weekend. I,m going to slowly buy different engine internals (here and there) once i have all the internals im going to learn how to rebuild a D series by using my blown D8 (Granted the block isnt messed up.) I know the D8 has serious rod problems in the engine. what components are essential for rebuilding and solidifying my D8's performance? (Tony_ and NotaRacist your both very knowledgeable on the D series! everyone here is who posted.)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM

The only way you're getting performance out of a D series engine is with FI. On stock internals, you can safely run 200-220 WHP. With forged pistons and rods, you can get 300 out of it with the right turbo or supercharger. Do yourself two big favors - first off, buy/borrow/download the factory service manual for your car. It'll have the full engine rebuild procedure, so you can start reading and understanding it. Second, take a trip over to the FI section here on H-T and read the FAQs sticky there front to back.