Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HX swap with working lean burn mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HX swap with working lean burn mode?

I have a 97 DX hatch and I really want to swap in a d16y5 from a HX and have functioning lean burn mode.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything helpful. If anyone can point me in the direction of some information it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HX swap with working lean burn mode?

well if you're doing it for the fuel economy, then you're going to want to change out the transmission. Lean-burn helps with fuel economy but it's not THAT big of a deal, especially if you have the wrong transmission. If it makes you feel any better, since you have a y7 hatchback, you've got the same transmission as the '96-'00 Civic HX (3.722 final drive).. Problem is, the HX didn't get that spectacular fuel economy compared to its older brothers the Civic CX/VX with the transmission final drive of 3.25 or the even older brother CRX HF with the final drive of 3.25 for Cali/High Altitude and 2.95 for Federal. If you want fuel economy gains, try the transmission first before dealing with the engine.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually lean burn has everything to do with great gas mileage not just the tranny, think about what you just said the cx/vx tranny why doesnt the cx have great gas mileage like the vx? Cause of lean burn mode! Anyways your gonna wanna get the engine, tranny the 5 wire air fuel sensor, the ecu and your gonna have to get the hx harness also good luck
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
Actually lean burn has everything to do with great gas mileage not just the tranny, think about what you just said the cx/vx tranny why doesnt the cx have great gas mileage like the vx? Cause of lean burn mode! Anyways your gonna wanna get the engine, tranny the 5 wire air fuel sensor, the ecu and your gonna have to get the hx harness also good luck
Sorry but no.. The CX does in fact get excellent gas mileage but not quite as good as the VX for a variety of reasons.. Using the 2008 estimated fuel economy numbers, the California CX gets 36mpg, the Federal CX gets 38mpg, the California VX gets 40mpg and the Federal VX gets 43mpg.. The difference between the Cali and Fed VX is more strict emissions and no lean-burn for California vehicles with the same being true for the California CX vs the Federal CX sans lean-burn. So inspect the numbers carefully.. The Cali CX is 36mpg, federal 38mpg yet the CX had no lean-burn whatsoever... If you compare the CX with its other brothers, you'll see it gets much better fuel economy and that's partially due to the transmission and partially due to the valve timing. The reason the california vx does better than the Federal and California CX is due to the vtec valve timing which allows for a more appropriate cam profile to be used at low rpms while still have another cam profile for use at higher rpms. The CX was only an 8 valve engine that had to use a cam profile that compromised on top end and low end performance. If you disable the vtec on a VX car, the car would probably make a max of somewhere along the lines of 48hp instead of the 70hp the CX makes.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of curiosity, are you doing this just for the mileage? It seems like you would never make back the time and money that this swap would take. If you drive about 12k per year, every 5 MPG will save you about $300/year, assuming gas is about $3.50 per gallon. I suppose if you drive a ton of miles it could be worth it.

All of that being said, it's your car and if you want a Y5, go for it! Props for taking the time to make your car perfect for you, just wondering what your goals are.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im considering this swap myself for my dx hatch. im running a b series now but im considering a HX motor for the mileage... i think its simple... jus need the harness and ecu and the whole swap and i think you are good to go
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by milkwasabadidea
im considering this swap myself for my dx hatch. im running a b series now but im considering a HX motor for the mileage... i think its simple... jus need the harness and ecu and the whole swap and i think you are good to go
You've got a b-series in that hatch? Why don't you just sell the hatch with the current engine it has? Unless you think you can get more money overall selling the engine separately than selling the car with the engine.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
Out of curiosity, are you doing this just for the mileage? It seems like you would never make back the time and money that this swap would take. If you drive about 12k per year, every 5 MPG will save you about $300/year, assuming gas is about $3.50 per gallon. I suppose if you drive a ton of miles it could be worth it.

All of that being said, it's your car and if you want a Y5, go for it! Props for taking the time to make your car perfect for you, just wondering what your goals are.
Yes I'm doing this for MPG. I understand the costs of modding a car, I don't expect it to pay for itself anytime soon.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by milkwasabadidea
When you say harness do you mean just the engine harness or would I need the entire harness from the dash forward?