Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   HWY driving on new engine (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/hwy-driving-new-engine-2101315/)

GSE980 09-18-2007 07:10 AM

HWY driving on new engine

I need to get my car tuned Im coming off a six month deployment and this will be my first start up on my rebuilt GSR. The drive to the tune shop is about 1/2 hour on the 5 north and I know new engine aren't good with hwy miles. Dont think a trailer is going to work wither because I have no other transportation.
Any tips

My buddy says to keep it under 3k or just fill the tank up and let it idle all day and it will be good after that to take it to the shop

Probot 09-18-2007 07:23 AM

Re: HWY driving on new engine (GSE980)

id say maybe just drive it around town for a few hours if you dont want it to just sit and idle

crazyguy 09-18-2007 07:35 AM

Re: HWY driving on new engine (GSE980)

yeah keep it under 3k rpm... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

oneludesol 09-18-2007 09:29 AM

Re: HWY driving on new engine (crazyguy)

fire it up and let it warm up. shut it down and change the oil. warm it up again and drive it around the block and take it up to like 4500rpm with very very little throttle, and and then let off gas all together and let the engine slow the car down unmolested until you are at idle. Do this like 5-10 times, it is the best way to ensure a good ring seat past the initial startup. After that you should be ok to drive on hwy to tuner.

B serious 09-18-2007 10:41 AM

Re: HWY driving on new engine (oneludesol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fire it up and let it warm up. shut it down and change the oil. warm it up again and drive it around the block and take it up to like 4500rpm with very very little throttle, and and then let off gas all together and let the engine slow the car down unmolested until you are at idle. Do this like 5-10 times, it is the best way to ensure a good ring seat past the initial startup. After that you should be ok to drive on hwy to tuner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds weird.

The place that rebuilt your motor should be able to tell you the details.

Is this a race rebuild or a stock rebuild? What are you going to use the car for in the future? How many miles are you expecting to get out of the motor?

A race motor's break in procedure is VERY different from a street car's break in. This being that you want maximum power out of the race motor RIGHT NOW. So you seat the rings quickly and somewhat violently. A motor that you want to run for 100k+ miles, you're going to have to follow manufacturer's spec. for break in.

oneludesol 09-18-2007 11:20 AM

Re: HWY driving on new engine (B serious)

if it was a stock rebuild, it would not need a tune... The break in technique that I supplied is the best all around way to do it, please dont be one of those "baby it for 5000 miles" guys... The rings seat, and are seated within the first warm up on any engine.

B serious 09-18-2007 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it was a stock rebuild, it would not need a tune... The break in technique that I supplied is the best all around way to do it, please dont be one of those "baby it for 5000 miles" guys... The rings seat, and are seated within the first warm up on any engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

iduno about all that.

Read your honda manual. Drive it easy for the 1st 600 miles. Avoid long time cruising (highway). I think i trust the guys that make 300k + mile motors that make 100+ hp/ liter and get 30+ mpg and LEV or ULEV emissions ratings. They sound pretty smart.

OP: you could just keep alternating speeds on the highway. Drive about 55-60 and keep speeding up and slowing down every like 15-20 min. It will piss everyone off, but .....whatever.

fmrprojects 09-18-2007 11:42 AM

just drive it staright to the dyno and break it in on the dyno. once the car is hooked up your tuner can gt a good air fuel for you so the rings can seat properly. to lean and too rich your rings will get shot

GSE980 09-20-2007 12:11 AM

its a race motor with low comp ross pistons eagle crankshaft and rods... I got a wideband controller so I can get it at a safe AF before the tune

Doostur 09-20-2007 12:19 AM

Low RPMS for at least 1/3 a tank.