Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

humming from left rear tire???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming from left rear tire???

I am getting a humming sound from the left rear tire. I don't think that it is a wheel bearing the car is to new. Could it be a busted belt in the tire (listed below)??? They only have 5k on them
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (bgoetz)

bring em in for a balancing.........that could be it
Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the humming noise could also be due to the fact you are running 17" wheels with 45 series tires. but seriously, maybe get it balanced, check for uneven wear,etc.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (lohatch)

if not tires.. can be bearings......
Old 11-24-2004, 02:29 AM

Most probably, tire balancing and it might have caused uneven tire.

You might need to replace it.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (gfx-8)

try rotating your tires to the front to see if it follows to the front
Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try rotating your tires to the front to see if it follows to the front</TD></TR></TABLE>

word!

wear patterns which can be caused by alignment issues, bad struts, out of balance tire, incorrect air pressure, ect can cause the annoying humming.

unfortunatly you cannot rule out the wheel bearing. the press in sealed units can go bad and make noise but may not show the other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing [ie. play on the spindle shaft]. a new part can fail too.

i'd start with a tire rotation and work from there, better yet, toss on the OEM wheels and see what happens [if you still have them]...

you can always drive it to the dealer if you are feeling lazy, being an 04' you are still under warranty.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:35 AM

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wear patterns which can be caused by alignment issues, bad struts, out of balance tire, incorrect air pressure, ect can cause the annoying humming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unfortunatly you cannot rule out the wheel bearing. the press in sealed units can go bad and make noise but may not show the other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing [ie. play on the spindle shaft]. a new part can fail too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely there would be more that just a humming if it were the wheel bearing. Trust me, I just had to replace two of them not too long ago.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can always drive it to the dealer if you are feeling lazy, being an 04' you are still under warranty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's got too much suspension work to be under warranty still, I would have to believe. Seeing as though he has an aftermarket suspension, I don't think that they would still cover him. Maybe though.

-Shane
Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Most likely there would be more that just a humming if it were the wheel bearing. Trust me, I just had to replace two of them not too long ago.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

as did i. if it is just starting to go i could just hum. a tell tale sign of a wheel bearing issue is a change in the note of the sound depending upon if you are going straight or turning. they usually make more noise under greater loads, ie. turning. esp. at higher speeds....

welp, there is my 4th or 5th post for the day... what am i gunna do for the rest of the day now...
Old 11-24-2004, 06:04 AM

Default Re: humming from left rear tire??? (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welp, there is my 4th or 5th post for the day... what am i gunna do for the rest of the day now... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Post some more. And yeah, I don't remember what it sounded like to begin with, only mettalic pinging coming from the bearing. It sounded kinda cool .

-Shane