Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Humming, grinding sound from suspension!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Humming, grinding sound from suspension!!!

OK, i have a friend who was recently in a fender bender. there was a clicking and humming sound from the lower front rightside. i replaced the axle and it took care of the clicking part, but still have the humming part.

it's fine once the car is in motion, but once i put it in 1st gear and begin moving from a dead stop the humming is most noticable.

any ideas?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Humming, grinding sound from suspension!!! (philosofy1)

Possible wheel bearing or differneitla bearing damage inside the tranny?

Usually wheel bearings get louder as speeds increase though.

:stumped:
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Humming, grinding sound from suspension!!! (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Possible wheel bearing or differneitla bearing damage inside the tranny?

Usually wheel bearings get louder as speeds increase though.

:stumped:</TD></TR></TABLE>

was talking to my brother and we were thinking the same thing.
i have a spare spindle (50,000 mi), so to save some money on bearing and having it pressed i'll swap it out. if that doesn't work then i guess it only leave one other thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way B18C5-EH2, thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Former Moderator

Sorry I had to run out, thus the lack of spelling correction on "differential" and not following up better.

Yo can get the front of the car off the ground (preferably on a lift, or jack stands) and have someone put the car in gear and spin the front wheels up to roughly 35-40mph, or when the noises are loudest, and take a long screw driver (or stethoscope if you have one ) and listen to each wheel bearing to see if you can hear one or the other.

This is how we diagnose wheel bearings at my shop.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry I had to run out, thus the lack of spelling correction on "differential" and not following up better.

Yo can get the front of the car off the ground (preferably on a lift, or jack stands) and have someone put the car in gear and spin the front wheels up to roughly 35-40mph, or when the noises are loudest, and take a long screw driver (or stethoscope if you have one ) and listen to each wheel bearing to see if you can hear one or the other.

This is how we diagnose wheel bearings at my shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool!! what i did yesterday was i jacked the car up and put it in gear just like you are describing. now, i noticed that the rightside was not spinning freely like the leftside. actually, it was moving as if it wanted to moving, very slow, but twitchy like. is the rightside suppose to move or is it suppose to stay put.

also, i noticed a very small pop and vibration while doing this, only happened twice. during the time i had the car up in the air and in 1st gear, there was no noise. it was as if everything was ok.

hmmm...i'm racking my brain here. again i do appreciate the time!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Former Moderator

If the car has an open diff then only one wheel will really spin up anyways. You do one wheel at a time and listen to each wheel as it spins up. the wheel with the least amount of resistance gets the power to spin up, so once a wheel gets going it'll usually be the only one to spin up.

You'll usually have to stop the one wheel that's spinning up, or apply the brakes, then hold the wheel that was spinning up so that the other wheel can then spin up.

Just make 100% sure that the car is stable - you don't want a car to rock off of jackstands while one wheel is doing 40mph.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the car has an open diff then only one wheel will really spin up anyways. You do one wheel at a time and listen to each wheel as it spins up. the wheel with the least amount of resistance gets the power to spin up, so once a wheel gets going it'll usually be the only one to spin up.

You'll usually have to stop the one wheel that's spinning up, or apply the brakes, then hold the wheel that was spinning up so that the other wheel can then spin up.

Just make 100% sure that the car is stable - you don't want a car to rock off of jackstands while one wheel is doing 40mph.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, thanks again man!!

i get the car again tomorrow so lets see what i come up with.