Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

humming from the front end, nothing seems wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming from the front end, nothing seems wrong

A few months ago, the front end started humming when I would drive in a straight line. It would get louder when I turned left, and it would go away when I turned right. So as anyone might think, wheel bearing right? I let it go for a while because I didn't have the money to get it replaced. Long story short, I had to take my car to a shop several weeks later to get e-brake cables put in and I asked if he could check out the noise for me. He shook all 4 wheels and didn't feel any unwanted movement. He looked at all the undercar drivetrain/suspension components and didn't see anything cracked, leaking, torn, etc.

It's VERY slowly getting louder and louder. And it still goes 100% completely away when I turn right and it gets really loud when I turn left. I can feel it ever so slightly in the steering wheel and again, the vibrating goes away turning right, gets more noticeable turning left.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Could it just be that my wheel bearing is starting to get bad but not bad enough for the mechanic to have noticed when he shook the wheel?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humming from the front end, nothing seems wrong

Wheel bearing or CV Shaft. Would be my guess or a unbalanced tire?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should be one of the cv shafts. Thats something your tech may not notice just from shaking it down.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say check the bearing again. I had the same problem. I just ended up changing my bearing n e ways:p there like 35$ canadian n e ways
Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really sounds like an axle to me bro.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a bad left wheel bearing.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a wheel bearing I've this happen like 4 times. Something about the car sitting for long periods of time.humming like truck tires
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to third the left wheel bearing. It may not have been bad enough to have play in it, but what you described is classic wheel bearing noise.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Logically thinking, I would guess that it's not the wheel bearings as the wheel bearing sound should not go away completely when turning either direction as that sound is dependent on the movement of the wheel and not direction of travel. Although there would be more pressure / weight on one side when turning, either way, the sound should not go away completely if it was the bearings...I have recently replaced my wheel bearings after hearing the same bearing sound, to realise that it something else causing that sound of which I beleive is the inner CV
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just because the bearing doesnt have play doesnt mean its not the bearing, i have seen plenty of bad wheel bearings that growl, and have no play. i would replace the bearing for sure
Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll have to look into getting a new wheel bearing. Wouldn't it be a bad right wheel bearing since the sound goes away when turning right (taking load off of right)? I'm still confused on that lol. A good friend of mine is going to do timing belt, etc. so I'll have him look more closely at the axles/cv's when we're workin on it.

And the sound goes completely away when I turn right. I mean 100% gone. The car is SO much quieter when I'm going right. It's slowly getting louder.

Wouldn't I be able to feel an out-of-balance tire in my steering wheel? Because I don't feel anything at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar issue with mine (noise when driving straight, it would disappear when turning left AND got louder when turning right). I bought a new rear wheel bearing, and when I went to install it - I DISCOVERED THAT THE PARKING BRAKE CABLE WAS RUBBING MY LR WHEEL.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IT is a bad right front wheel bearing. When you turn right and take pressure off of it it goes away because there is less pressure on the bearing causing it to quite down. The more pressure you put on the bearing the louder it will get.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are we not able to repack the wheel bearings on these hondas? Just curious, Iv always replaced them myself, but then again I guess if you have to go through all the trouble of pulling off the dang hub assembly you may as well press in NEW bearings rather then repacked ones. Although when I had my 90 camaro all I did was repack repack repack. I would agree that it would be a wheel bearing. The more load you put on it the more its straining, the less load you put on it, its straining less, so its not as noisy.Same principle as my input shaft bearing lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes when the load shifts to one side as in when turning right the weight shifts to the left side of the vehicle, the the bearing that is bad is on the right, make sure the noise is coming from the front as well, you should be able to obviously tell, cause front wheel bearing require pulling the spindle and using a press to install, or using a hub tamer master kit, which not to many people have cause its like 500$ but it saves lots of headache since you can replace the bearing on the car. if you have rear disc, then the hub just bolts on and off, and it comes with the bearing, im not sure how it is on the drum but i think its the exact same.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skuded
yes when the load shifts to one side as in when turning right the weight shifts to the left side of the vehicle, the the bearing that is bad is on the right, make sure the noise is coming from the front as well, you should be able to obviously tell, cause front wheel bearing require pulling the spindle and using a press to install, or using a hub tamer master kit, which not to many people have cause its like 500$ but it saves lots of headache since you can replace the bearing on the car. if you have rear disc, then the hub just bolts on and off, and it comes with the bearing, im not sure how it is on the drum but i think its the exact same.
I would imagine it would be the same if not very similar to the disk. Just quite a few more parts to worry about lol. Out of all the people I know that work on cars for a living, only 2 of them have that specific tool.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000silvercivic
IT is a bad right front wheel bearing. When you turn right and take pressure off of it it goes away because there is less pressure on the bearing causing it to quite down. The more pressure you put on the bearing the louder it will get.
Originally Posted by skuded
yes when the load shifts to one side as in when turning right the weight shifts to the left side of the vehicle, the the bearing that is bad is on the right...
I agree. My answer was reversed. It's the right wheel bearing that's suspect.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power steering (assuming you have it). Remove the belt for a minute.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

p/s is not it, u would hear it at idle when turning the wheel from left to right. maybe i missed something, but your tech didnt drive it when u asked him to check the sound? seems like a lazy tech to me, i always drive cars when checking them out. anyway i have the same issue on my civic. roaring noise while driving straight, gets worse when i turn left, goes away when i turn right. left side wheel bearing, dont, know whether front or rear yet, probly just gonna get it on a lift and stethoscope it, you could ask your tech to do same.