Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!!

Part 1

Okay, here is my story on the problem! I was driving on the high way and then BAM!!!!! my rpm gauge went dead....and my mph was decreasing heavily. I pulled over to the side and check was was wrong with my car. I lifted up the hood and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I waited for the mornin' to fix my car. I gotten up early up in the mornin' and found out that my starter was extremly loose. So i tighted back up and now the start actually goes. Then when i was tryin' to start it, the crankshaft wouldn't even turn over. So my brother told me i could of have snapped my timing belt. As i checked the timing belt, it was pretty loose. I tighted up the timing belt and made sure the timming was correct. Then after that i started up the car again. Now, the thing i do not understand is why my car is not havin' any spark. I went to the store to go buy a WHOLE new ignition coil and installed it. Nothing!!!!! My car still has no spark.

I don't know what to do anymore. I know i could possibly get a new dizzy but i don't want to *** around with the gears on the dizzy. I'm not even sure if it could even be my dizzy. PLEASE!!! I'm in need of help and i've tried all i could already. Please, help this school kid out.

Part 2

checked the timing belt already. i'm pretty sure that it didn't skip and teeth. well...this is how i checked for my spark.

bought a single new spark plug just for testing. took out ONE of the spark plug wires and left the spark spark plug into the car. then with the new spark plug inserted into the spark plug wire, i turned the ignition. all that happened was that the timing belt and crankshaft moved but no sparks. and yes, i made sure it was touchin' the block also.

any one else? please HELP!!!

part 3

i'm not too sure rather or not my timing belt skipped a tooth. reason because i took off the timing belt (not removing the motor mount) and checked everything. it seemed to be ok so i reinsetered it in and made sure all the teeths were in contact. i took the dizzy cap and replaced the ignition coil. the gears looked like it was in contact also. then started it up again, and BOOF!!! STILL NOTHING!!!

so i don't know. i really need some short of assistance or something. damn it its pissin' me off.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would guess your ignitor took a ****, try changing that
Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 PM

replaced the ingition coil.....still no spark. any suggestions where i should actually change my whole distributor?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eGsr)

i would check your dizzy cap and the rotor make sure there not worn to bad, if they are worn you might need to replace that. That happend to me, i was driving an al the sudden my car died and i was not getting any spark...
Old 10-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (richi3seg6)

did you replace the ignition coil or the ignitor module?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ignition coil and ignitor are totally different parts, by the simptoms you said with rpm droping dead , my best guess would be the ignitor.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 AM

BUMP!!!!

i'll try my ignitor.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:14 AM

Umm, your plug will never spark unless it is grounded...

The best way to check for spark is to put a screwdriver into the wire and get it close (1/2) inch or so to a ground source and watch for the arc.

A plug wont fire suspended by itself because the plug is not grounded.

Go recheck for spark.

I probably should also tell you this... Use a good thick rubber insulated screw driver when you do this... Unless you like that electrical shock feeling running up to your elbow.. LOL!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cuda70)

change ignitor, cap and rotor and you should be good to go. i've had plenty of ignition problems
Old 10-24-2005, 08:17 AM

BUMP!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 AM

any luck yet?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (richi3seg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by richi3seg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Part 1

part 3
it seemed to be ok so i reinsetered it in and made sure all the teeths were in contact. BOOF!!! STILL NOTHING!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL I'm sorry that's just funny... But yeah try your ignitor...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (Split Image Prez)

Hey people have any of you actually tried ******* THINKING? Explain to me how an ignition taking a **** causes a starter and a timing belt to come loose? I could try and explain to you how to diagnose what the problem really is but since you don't even want to mess with a distributor I'm going to say you are pretty well fucked.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (JDM-97CX)

BUMP!! did u fix it?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:07 AM

check your fuses.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:41 AM

already checked all my fuses. everything is still okay. PLEASE !!! ANY ONE ELSE!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey people have any of you actually tried ******* THINKING? Explain to me how an ignition taking a **** causes a starter and a timing belt to come loose? I could try and explain to you how to diagnose what the problem really is but since you don't even want to mess with a distributor I'm going to say you are pretty well fucked.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I guess we all know where you got your post count from... You just told us to "******* THINK" and " Explain to you how an ignition taking a **** causes a starter and a timing belt to come loose? " then YOU say " I could try and explain to you how to diagnose what the problem really is but since you don't even want to mess with a distributor I'm going to say you are pretty well fucked. " Now explain to me kind sir' how does the distributor get messed up or messed w/ when the STARTER or TIMING BELT become loose.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (richi3seg6)

If you have a multimeter, then measure resistance on your ignitor.

(I am assuming you have a Helms for the specs on resistance specs, if not then its a guessing game)

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when the ignitor when south.

It may be cheaper to purchase one of the dizzy's made available by Distributor King, a HT sponsor.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (KayOs)

Does sound like the ignitor..
Also check to make sure the camshaft rotates
with the crankshaft..

A timming belt can shear the teeth/cogs off of it
and still appear to be intact but the cam won't turn.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (88DXCRX)

dude its your damn ignitor, that same **** happened to me like 2 weeks ago. it was my ignitor and coil, so i just went and got a new dizzy. damn dude just try the ignitor and take it from there.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 AM

alright, i'll purchase an ignitor by today and see what happens.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Huge Civic Problem!!!! Mechanics Wanted!!!! (Split Image Prez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Split Image Prez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I guess we all know where you got your post count from... You just told us to "******* THINK" and " Explain to you how an ignition taking a **** causes a starter and a timing belt to come loose? " then YOU say " I could try and explain to you how to diagnose what the problem really is but since you don't even want to mess with a distributor I'm going to say you are pretty well fucked. " Now explain to me kind sir' how does the distributor get messed up or messed w/ when the STARTER or TIMING BELT become loose. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said that the distributor can be a problem when the starter or timing belt become loose. If you would have read anything in this thread other than my post you would have realized I was trying to figure out why everyone before me said it was the distributor. You are a hypocritical expletive, all you did was quote me, not even in the correct way, and then attack my post count.

Dumbest person on honda-tech award officialy goes to you.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never said that the distributor can be a problem when the starter or timing belt become loose. If you would have read anything in this thread other than my post you would have realized I was trying to figure out why everyone before me said it was the distributor. You are a hypocritical expletive, all you did was quote me, not even in the correct way, and then attack my post count.

Dumbest person on honda-tech award officialy goes to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so then what do you propose the problem is????? Oh Oh maybe it's his muffler bearings... Or maybe he needs blinker grease...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 AM

much respect towards the both of you. greatly appricated the jokes and arguments, but seriously though, i would like some short of feed backs on the certain things i've requested. thanks.

richie
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by richi3seg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">much respect towards the both of you. greatly appricated the jokes and arguments, but seriously though, i would like some short of feed backs on the certain things i've requested. thanks.

richie</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry richie didn't mean to disrespect you or your post.. Did you try the ignitor yet? You didn't wash your engine bay anytime recently have you? My buddy washed his engine for a show and some how got water into the dizzy and that pretty much fried the ignitor... Do you have any CELs?