Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how would a turbo kit would work on a automatic trany ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how would a turbo kit would work on a automatic trany ?????

would it be a gain on power?????
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how would a turbo kit would work on a automatic trany ????? (djjosehernandez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djjosehernandez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would it be a gain on power?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

of coarse, a turbo can be used on a automatic tranny. is it worth it, i guess it all depends on what you are doing. IMO, i thinks it's not worth it, you can reap more benefits from a manual tranny than a auto. not to mention, it'll be alot more fun to drive too.

if this is a d-sreies motor, or even a LS (b18b) motor, i would do a tranny swap, a very easy add on.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would be like buying breast implants for your little brother.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Re:

as said above it would work but its pointless..whats wrong with a 5speed?
besides the tranny life would be shortened by putting more power and torque through it

I do know a chick who had it done cause she wanted to go fast and couldnt handle three pedals lol but it sucked ***.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Shenanigans

Default Re: Re: (JDM Lyfestyle)

not worth it at all depending on how much power you plan on adding your trans will be seriously hurting. the auto trans honda makes were never meant to handle added power. swap to manual or leave it stock
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would be like buying breast implants for your little brother.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. If I was one who kept quotes for my sig, this would be it.

Well done
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

This is all nonsense. What do these people mean by "worth it" anyway? Not everyone is trying to build a 11 second drag car out of their daily driver. If the car is fun to drive it's worth it.

A good friend of mine built a turbo AWD Civic wagon. That thing was an absolute blast to drive. Both of my cars are stick and I enjoy driving them. But not having to put in the clutch... well let's turn it around. On his wagon, you could just mash the gas and concentrate on driving the car. Your left foot can just be used for braking. You don't have to let off the gas during the shift. In fact, boost doesn't drop at all between shifts. It was fast, but I don't know if he ever took it to the drag strip.

The closest thing you can get to that with a manual tranny is to set up WOT throttle shifting with a standalone. Which I was not aware of until the very same guy set it up on my EMS.

The tranny had over 200k and it never had any problems. It was actually the turbo that took a dump. People who think auto trannies are weak are exaggerating and they have no evidence to back it up. Yeah, the stock tranny is not going to handle 300hp. And if you do the launch of death you can kiss the tranny goodbye. If you hold the brake and gas down together for a long period of time, you'll burn it up. If you use anything other than Honda ATF, you'll burn it up. If you over or under fill the tranny fluid, you'll burn it up. These are all mistakes only a stupid ricer would make.

It's true auto trannies don't put as much power to the ground as manual. But that is also true of RWD and 4WD vs FWD and you don't hear people saying "it's not even worth it".

Build whatever you want, enjoy the f--- out of it, and don't let other people bully you into what they consider to be cool.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Shenanigans

Default Re: (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's true auto trannies don't put as much power to the ground as manual. But that is also true of RWD and 4WD vs FWD and you don't hear people saying "it's not even worth it".

</TD></TR></TABLE>
poor comparison, stock auto trans arent made to handle serious power adders like a turbo, thats a fact. the added stresses on the trans are often too much to handle and it gives way, my buddy had an auto awd turbo talon, slapped on bigger turbo, nitrous, upped the boost a **** ton, what was the first thing to take a ****? the trans bc they are simply not designed to handle a large increase in power...then the motor got some serious rod knock

if you want to turbo it and keep it on a low boost be my guest...but if your anything like 90% of car guys that wont be enough and youll want to make it faster, if thats the case switch to a manual trans you wont regret it...theres no feeling like slapping through gears that an auto trans can give you