Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to wire vtec to a switch...??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to wire vtec to a switch...??

Could anyone please help me with this,
how would i go about hooking up vtec to a switch?
I am well aware of the precautions of what could happen to my motor but at the current
moment i dont have the money for a new ecu, and i think a vtec switch would be pretty
cool, so any help in explaining this would be great thx.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:29 AM

i dont see the point of being cool by having a vtec switch lol and its pointless

my 2cents
Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (elementb16a)

but ur cool already u have vtak
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Why would you want a NEW ecu? You can just modify your current non-vtec ECU for little money.

I had a P06 ECU, which is now modified to P28. Didn't cost me much!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what he's trying to say is that he has a VTEC engine but has a non-VTEC ECU and wants to utilize VTEC without buying a new ECU.

I would tell ya but I don't know anything about VTEC diagrams.

A switch is pointless, I would recommend getting a VTEC ECU.

What ECU and what engine do you have?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

currently i have a d16 and a p27 ecu.
all i really want to do is wire it up to a switch.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Ahh, just like a NOS button on your steering wheel?

Nah, just borrow a few bucks and get a VTEC ECU or let someone modify your NON-VTEC ECU to a P28 (VTEC).
Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: how to wire vtec to a switch...?? (matt2320)

Switch New ECU
Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ErikV)

yeah kinda like a nos button.
but having vtec on a switch when i want or need it would be nice.
how would i go about converting my current ecu?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (matt2320)

i think u forgot to add some sarcasim in ur post syndacate
whats wrong with u are u sick?
so whats up with the light
Old 12-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatch96y7)

bump on post #1
any serious answers for my question?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think u forgot to add some sarcasim in ur post syndacate
whats wrong with u are u sick?
so whats up with the light</TD></TR></TABLE>

If some nooblet wants to roast his D16 because he's too stupid to understand the concept of VTEC, fine by me .

BTW, I ask what's your motor and you tell me the series and displacement..

You respond with, D16

That doesn't tell me **** except for the fact that it's a D series motor and it's a 1.6L No difference between the Y7 and the Y8 except you know.....VTEC 'n, 20+hp, 'n all.

So I ask again, what's your motor?

I'm going to assume it's a Z6 or Y8.

Doubt it's a JDM D15 or a ZC.

SO with that outta the way...******* BUY A P28.

Do you ACTUALLY understand what VTEC is? It engages at a certain point so your car could run better, it switches the cam lobes that open/close the valves so your car could run more efficiently.

It's NOT supposed to be turned on at free will. That's why it's setup like it is.

You're gonna ******* roast your engine because the certain lobes are good for certain RPM, that's why you can't just "leave VTEC on all the time" - it's a higher band power maker, not a lower one, and vice versa with the non-VTEC lobes.

As somebody said before and I don't remember who said it so I'm just stating that somebody else said it, not me. Paraphrased:
"Having a VTEC switch is like having a hardon switch for your dick. Sure it would be great and fun to have, but some things are just meant to work naturally."

With that said, you've watched the fast and the furious too many ******* times.

You're not gonna be neck and neck w/ some Viper and hit your "VTEC" button on the steering wheel and roast 'em, tiers spinning 'n all.

God, somebody get me that fake Dyno chart of "VTAKKK."

Buy a VTEC ECU, work your motor properly.

Wouldn't be able to tell u what ECU you have b/c I don't know what motor you have...

aside from the fact it's a D16.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (matt2320)

WTF

Why would you want to have it on a button. youll have like a diference of 5hp max, and in other spots when you think your cool and hit it you wont gain ****.

aside from that, someone correct me if im wrong, vtec works/engages off of several things, speed, rpm, oil pressure. Id let the ecu do the engaging and give up on your rice dream.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtec4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, no, the other one, with the Dyno graph and the "VTAKKK" one :-P.

That's really what this thread needs.

PS:

Serious answers to your question? As sad as it is all of those answers were MORE serious than your question.

Ask a serious question to expect a serious answer.

Also, with your VTEC switch, ur gonna RAPE ur MPG.

Power is not the only thing gauged by efficiency, MPG is as well.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF

Why would you want to have it on a button. youll have like a diference of 5hp max, and in other spots when you think your cool and hit it you wont gain ****.

aside from that, someone correct me if im wrong, vtec works/engages off of several things, speed, rpm, oil pressure. Id let the ecu do the engaging and give up on your rice dream.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True and false.

The second part is true, the first part is false. You will NOT gain even 5hp. Reason being is as the car sits as a stock setup, the VTEC is already set to engage and give off the highest power possible. If you change your setup, that's the only time VTEC engagement point changing becomes plausible.

So it'll just be bad for him all around, won't be "okay" in any places.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well have to check back at this joke of a thread tomorrow seeing this clown can only post 5 times a day, he is maxed out.

in for more laugh's tomorrow
Old 12-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well have to check back at this joke of a thread tomorrow seeing this clown can only post 5 times a day, he is maxed out.

in for more laugh's tomorrow</TD></TR></TABLE>

DAMMIT.

Seriously, I wanted to see the post backs - dammit dammit dammit.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Not to be confused with "THE MAN"

Yeah bad Idea with the switch. It also has diff. fuel and ignition maps that it runs when VTAKK is engaged. Like all of the other brethen said, BUY A P28 and do it the right way. Impatience will end up costing you in the long run.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: (THE GUY)

if its bad to have vtec in gaged all te time y do they make vtech killa camshafts
isnt it to make more power or is skunk 2 just a bunch of monkeys in a ball
Old 12-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Not to be confused with "THE MAN"

Toda makes them. And THat is for a high rpm race motor. Like putting a big *** 404 0r 405 crower cam in a LS. Toda v-tec killers make alot of high end, not so much low end. And you would not be running them with a stock ecu either.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: how to wire vtec to a switch...??

Years later some guy from the 90's answers this question.

Hooking up the VTEC RPM switch: If you opted for the VTEC controller like you should have then follow the instructions that came with it. If you're cheap like me and got the RPM switch, start saving your money for a VTEC controller, 'cause you'll probably end up buying one later...(I did). I bought a Summit Racing RPM activating switch from Summit Racing for like $40, so I am assuming you did the same. If you got a different RPM switch then I'm not sure if this will be the same, but I can't imagine why not. Just letting ya know. The Summit RPM switch actually throws a ground signal when the desired RPM is met, so you will have to wire up a relay to change that negative graound to a +12 volts. Here is how to do it:

Go down to your local radio shack and pick up a standard auto relay. I believe they only carry one, so you can't go wrong. It'll cost ya about $5. Here is a schematic of how to wire it:

when you set the RPM with the dip switches, you must remember that Summit Racing tends to cater to 'Merican made auomobiles, and V8's are the SH*T, so they have also assumed that you too own an 'Merican made automobile with a big fuel sucking V8 under the hood, and have designed the RPM switch to work that way. Since you only have four lonely cylinders, you will need to divide the number you want the RPM to kick in at by 2. Example: you want it to kick in at 4400 RPM, then set it to 2200 RPM with the dip switches...get the idea?

Old 04-01-2021, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mandraxfil
Years later some guy from the 90's answers this question.

Hooking up the VTEC RPM switch: If you opted for the VTEC controller like you should have then follow the instructions that came with it. If you're cheap like me and got the RPM switch, start saving your money for a VTEC controller, 'cause you'll probably end up buying one later...(I did). I bought a Summit Racing RPM activating switch from Summit Racing for like $40, so I am assuming you did the same. If you got a different RPM switch then I'm not sure if this will be the same, but I can't imagine why not. Just letting ya know. The Summit RPM switch actually throws a ground signal when the desired RPM is met, so you will have to wire up a relay to change that negative graound to a +12 volts. Here is how to do it:

Go down to your local radio shack and pick up a standard auto relay. I believe they only carry one, so you can't go wrong. It'll cost ya about $5. Here is a schematic of how to wire it:

when you set the RPM with the dip switches, you must remember that Summit Racing tends to cater to 'Merican made auomobiles, and V8's are the SH*T, so they have also assumed that you too own an 'Merican made automobile with a big fuel sucking V8 under the hood, and have designed the RPM switch to work that way. Since you only have four lonely cylinders, you will need to divide the number you want the RPM to kick in at by 2. Example: you want it to kick in at 4400 RPM, then set it to 2200 RPM with the dip switches...get the idea?
If this RPM switch is a proper solution, how does it communicate with the factory ECU ? If you are using a non-vtec ECU, how does the engine receive the proper fuel and ignition values when you transition to the high cam ?
Old 04-02-2021, 05:56 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
If this RPM switch is a proper solution, how does it communicate with the factory ECU ? If you are using a non-vtec ECU, how does the engine receive the proper fuel and ignition values when you transition to the high cam ?
But....VTEC on a switch!!!!!! Then you have the power to control the almighty VTEC!!!!!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
But....VTEC on a switch!!!!!! Then you have the power to control the almighty VTEC!!!!!
I know... right ?!? So many people talk about it like it is a 75-shot of Nitrous. It is a shame that so few actually KNOW how VTEC works.
The following users liked this post:
DaX

Quick Reply: how to wire vtec to a switch...??