Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How will spring rates effect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will spring rates effect handling?

I have 450lb. springs in the front, and I believe 350lb. in the rear of my hatch.. Will it make a difference to put 450lbs in the rear as well? Is this safe? I know that it's not safe to put stiffer springs in the rear of a street car... but can I use the same for both?

Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 11-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How will spring rates effect handling? (sivik2nr)

No, bad idea. 450 lb/in in the rear will cause MAJOR snap oversteer. Good for auto-x ... bad for the street.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: How will spring rates effect handling? (Daniel)

No, bad idea. 450 lb/in in the rear will cause MAJOR snap oversteer. Good for auto-x ... bad for the street.
What in the **** are you talking about?

I have 425F and 550R springs and it's my daily driver as well.

Sorry to be such an *** but it's that type of spouting off about stuff that you "know" that spreads bullshit misinformation.

I also have Koni Yellows and a 14mm rear sway and NO front bar, and I have yet to experience your "major snap oversteer" theory yet.

Then again if I drove like a moron letting off the gas or hitting the brakes in midturn the rear would certainly come out quicker than 450F 350R set-up would.

450F 450R would be nice, but I'd also add a 14mm or even a 22mm rear bar to get the *** end to rotate more. The important thing to remember is not to try and get the *** to swing out by letting off the gas hard, or hitting the brakes in mid corner.

I can control how much my *** steps out by throttle, and it wasn't hard to make the adjustment of such a stiff rear set-up.

Sorry to be an ***, but I just get annoyed by misinfo.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that my 1992 Cx weighs only 2040lbs. and the rear end weighs nothing yet by some "miracle" I have yet to experience snap oversteer.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How will spring rates effect handling? (B18C5-EH2)

While I agree with Tom, I would not recommend running higher rates in the rear for normal drivers. You WILL loose control of your car and crash. i.e. taping your brakes while in a turn, letting off the gas while in a turn, or jerking the wheel at any given moment (like to avoid a situation).

Tom is very experienced and knows what to do in a bad situation and also how to avoid even getting in a bad situation.

Most people here do not and therefore should not get higher rates in the rear.

Same thing with running a stiff rear bar and no front bar, too tail happy for the average Honda owner.

Just keep what you have and improve your skills first, then worry about the setup you have.

Track days are yoru friend.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:13 PM

Cool thanks for the info...

I think I'm gonna try running 450 F/R . I want a neutral feel for the car, which i think is waht most people want. I guess it would depend on the type of car too..

Since i'm a beginner at the track... I would think that would be ok.. correct?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I just noticed your LSD tranny in your sig too - that helps a lot.

What swaybars (if any) are you running?

I'm pretty sure your hatch didn't have a front bar, and do you have either on right now?

My ideal set-up would be for me to add the stock Si/EX (19mm?) front bar and then a Comptech 22mm rear swaybar with the subframe reinforcement.

If a person doesn't have an LSD I usually would not recommend a front bar because if you lift the inside wheel with an open diff all you'll do is boil the inside tire in a hard corner and understeer/lose traction and that sucks.

With an LSD even if the inside wheel lifts you're still getting power down on that outside wheel which is also really sticking becaise of the weight tranfer on it, so a front bar is a good idea. But in my opinion a front bar should also be balanced out with a bigger rear bar if you want the car to rotate.

Agian this is all my opinion, and although I may have been too harsh on the first guy who replied it's still not like it's an unstreetable set-up to have 450F 450R springs. What struts and tires do you have? that will make a diffeence too you know?

As far as losing control it really all depends on your exercise of control and logic when driving. I don't really push my car too hard on the street, and never in the rain because there's too many variables. Take your car to an auto-X and give that bitch hell to see where the limits are. even when I was trying to get the *** to swing on the auto-X course it would do so in a controlled manner - I still have yet to lose the ***, but I do know it's possible.

Excercise good judgement and you should be fine with 450F 450R springs. In the event of an accident? Well **** by then it's already too late, right?

Oh and thanks Trey for the kind words - you give me too much credit y0!

Old 11-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just because your spring rates will be equal front to back, that does NOT mean your car will be neutral.

I see a lot of guys with this misconception.
That logic only works on a car with 50/50 weight distribution.

your car, with 450 F/R will have major tail happy handling... it will NOT be neutral.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:04 PM

What swaybars (if any) are you running?
What struts and tires do you have? that will make a diffeence too you know?
Right now, I'm back to my stock wheel tire package and a mismatched spring set (due to thieves )

I sold my wheels and tires for somehting different/ better and am starting from scratch with my suspension.. no sway bars or anything yet

I'm thinking I should start with somehting like a suspension techniques dual sway bar set, and then a decent coilover setup...

Any you could suggest? For a beginners budget?