how well do del sols handel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how well do del sols handel

how well do del sols Handel
mostly in an auto cross
because i right now have a ek with d2 adjustable suspension and it runs pretty good in the auto cross
but i am thinking about getting a del sol now and was wondering how would it compare
also i was worried about 2 things in getting it
1 is insurance is it allot to insure because it is a 2 seater and it is red or is it low because it is a 94?
2 is if i put allot of hp into it will it be bad due to being to light i was planing on putting a b18c and putting a full race turbo kit in it
any help you can provide would be great
i was unsure where to post this so i thought this was a good place
Old 03-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how well do del sols handel (Civic97s)

I can answer part of your question.

The del sol is NOT LIGHTWEIGHT. It weighs about as much as a 92-95 coupe.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (Jedi_Sol)

Yup,

Hardcore CRX guys disliked the CRX Del Sol because of its weight. Del Sol=Fat, in regards to it being a honda 2 seater. But I love my b16 del sol. Ive touge mine, but havent seen the track yet. Oh, and I think that del sol brakes arent the best, so you wanna upgrade too.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

del sols handle pretty good in my opinion. i just have skunk 2 springs,tokico shocks and a stock front strut bar. good tires make huge difference also.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-23-2006, 02:06 PM

I autocross a 1996 del sol si. They have about a 62/48 weight distrubution and are PIGS at about 2350lbs. They are a great low cost tuner.
Stock - their sloppy, with a TON of understeer. The right driver can correct this and its a great car to learn in.
STS2 - max class for sts2 and they rock. Thats basically I/H/C, and shocks, springs, swaybars, tiebars, AND BUSHINGS. Add in Hawk Pads and their competitive, allthought they are heavy, compared to a Miata.
SM2 - Boost puts you in SM2, and their fun but not competitive. I mean, your up against highly modified Corvettes here. (But it sure is FUN!!!)

Insurance is a great thing with my sol. Allstate gets the vin and says its a civic. Yep, a grocery-getting, sensible, econobox civic!

I plan on winning a Pro solo this year with this setup -
AEM CAI
OBX Header
Greddy SP2 catback
Complete suspension upgrade consisting of Eibach springs (400F 350R) on Ground control coilovers, Koni Yellows, OEM front swaybar, suspension techniques 21mm rear swaybay, tie/tower/strut bars x4, and a complete poly master bushing set and trailing arm bushings. Built by advice and Parts from Redshift Motorsports, Installed by MPACT motorsports.
Hawk HPS pads.

I could also do a computer upgrade, which I dont see having any affect on a naturally aspirated d16, and race seats, but the Sol has great seats allready with good lateral support.
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic97s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2 is if i put allot of hp into it will it be bad due to being to light i was planing on putting a b18c and putting a full race turbo kit in it
any help you can provide would be great
i was unsure where to post this so i thought this was a good place</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Del Sol is DEFINITELY not too light
Old 03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic97s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 is insurance is it allot to insure because it is a 2 seater and it is red or is it low because it is a 94?</TD></TR></TABLE>

insurance quote for the 93 sol si was only like 100 bucks more a year than my 92 si hatch.... mainly the year was the difference.... and from all I can tell, color isn't even figured in....
Old 03-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (qat727)

oh nice
thanks
right now i have an 97 ek
and i would get a stock none si 94 del sol
Old 03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My turbo b16 DS spanks my buddies 1990 L98 ram air corvette. But I have tein's and megan bar's, I also put down almost 300 to the wheels.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (Sir_Wallace)

http://www.g-speed.com/eg2/about.shtml
Frank's EG2 Page
Old 03-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (crixzc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can answer part of your question.

The del sol is NOT LIGHTWEIGHT. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redhanyo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup,

Hardcore CRX guys disliked the CRX Del Sol because of its weight. Del Sol=Fat, in regards to it being a honda 2 seater. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by downshift96si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> They have about a 62/48 weight distrubution and are PIGS at about 2350lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Del Sol is DEFINITELY not too light </TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you all talking about the del sol is a pig? I never understood this. So a del sol weighs 2350lbs. Thats still lightweight. You cant keep comparing a del sol to an 88 CRX HF (1819lbs), or a 92 Civic CX (2094lbs). Both of those cars are fully gutted from the factory. They dont have power steering, power windows, power rear window, power mirrors, air bags, air conditioning, targa tops all of which the del sol has. Compare apples to apples. Compared to newer cars that IS light.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (TurboEM1)

well just remember that the del sol is a targa, and it does have major body flex. Body flex kills handling, so you must make the chassis stiff before putin serious power into this car. I love mine, by the way, and wouldnt trade it for anything else.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (deadend9009)

Strut bar's, sway bar's, tir rod bar's, and LCA's really stiff it up, I event made renforcement bar's for the top for auto x. there easy to make you just put it place of the T top.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What are you all talking about the del sol is a pig? I never understood this. So a del sol weighs 2350lbs. Thats still lightweight. You cant keep comparing a del sol to an 88 CRX HF (1819lbs), or a 92 Civic CX (2094lbs). Both of those cars are fully gutted from the factory. They dont have power steering, power windows, power rear window, power mirrors, air bags, air conditioning, targa tops all of which the del sol has. Compare apples to apples. Compared to newer cars that IS light.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sir_Wallace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I event made renforcement bar's for the top for auto x. there easy to make you just put it place of the T top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you want to elaborate on this? pics too please.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 AM

works good for me
i dont autocross though
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how well do del sols handel (sohc_turd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you want to elaborate on this? pics too please. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I was replacing the roof with something more functional, I'd make a square of tube steel with an X in the middle, then somehow attach the OEM latching mechanism onto it. It'd be a lot stiffer than the normal targa panel.

However, that would only alleviate compression forces - flex where the rear pillar & front pillar are moving away from each other would be unaffected due to the design of the targa. To minimize that you either need a roll cage (which, among other things, provides supplemental support to the frame rails) or to literally weld a roof on.

Insurance on the Sol is decent, for S & Si they're effectively the same as a same year Civic. But there is a small bump up for the VTEC model.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sir_Wallace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I event made renforcement bar's for the top for auto x. there easy to make you just put it place of the T top.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Be carefull with this. If you want to stay in class other than a street prepared, then any Cabin bars, harness bars, or targa-top reinforcements could be considered bracing the chassis in a non-OEM suspension point. STS2 and I think even street mod 2 will not allow you to stiffin the chassis in anyplace thats not a factory suspension point. Even the Megan Racing H-brace is not allowed in STS2.

If you ever tried to race it at a pro solo, or a national event it WOULD be disputed and you WOULD be disqualified. Theres a lot of poor loosers that turn into whiney little bitches when you beat their *** fair and square.

anyways. my 2cents
I love to encourage people to take it off the streets and to the track. Thanks for taking the first step!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: how well do del sols handel (downshift96si)

Hmmm... i have a spare targa top collecting dust i might play around with, and see if i can't 'F' it up.