Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

could idling be terrible if the cat converter is clogged?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post could idling be terrible if the cat converter is clogged?

hello, ong story shrot, i was driving the past few months, car runs amazing. midle of this week she just dies on me. she runs, and idles, but as long as i kep my foot on the gas. its a 93 cx with a 96 b18b. i went to talk to one of the guys at my local autozone that deals with hondas, and he said it could be my catalytic converter that is clogged. coud this be the case? the car backfires if i rev to 2K or 3K.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: could idling be terrible if the cat converter is clogged?

I'd recommend to stop going to AutoZone for repar advice. AutoZone is in the business of selling you parts, not fixing your car.

I work on over 70 Hondas and Acuras per week and I've seen only one case of a clogged converter causing a poor running condition in the past 3 years. It didn't happen all of a sudden, either. Very unlikely.

I'd wager that your problem is something else. I'd run a compression test and check the cam timing before anything else; backfires often indicate improper timing or a fueling/ignition problem. When was the last time the vehicle was tuned up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter)? Tune ups should be done every 30,000 miles on D- and B-series engines with copper plugs. What ECU are you using? Did anything else occur around the same time that the problem developed (i.e. severe rainstorm, seasonal climate change to warm weather)?

Remember that an engine needs 3 things to run: compression, a proper fuel:air mixture, and a spark at the correct time.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the catalytic converter is clogged, the car will bog down a lot, not just at idle, when you drive as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa250R
I'd recommend to stop going to AutoZone for repar advice. AutoZone is in the business of selling you parts, not fixing your car.

I work on over 70 Hondas and Acuras per week and I've seen only one case of a clogged converter causing a poor running condition in the past 3 years. It didn't happen all of a sudden, either. Very unlikely.

I'd wager that your problem is something else. I'd run a compression test and check the cam timing before anything else; backfires often indicate improper timing or a fueling/ignition problem. When was the last time the vehicle was tuned up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter)? Tune ups should be done every 30,000 miles on D- and B-series engines with copper plugs. What ECU are you using? Did anything else occur around the same time that the problem developed (i.e. severe rainstorm, seasonal climate change to warm weather)?

Remember that an engine needs 3 things to run: compression, a proper fuel:air mixture, and a spark at the correct time.
damn, finally someone who knows whats going on.
the car used to be raced before i got it, thus thats why i thoguth the cat might be it.

how do you run a compression test? i dont have any special tools. please help.
um, i just did oil change today to 5w30. is that okay? and i changed my fuel filter, oil filter, and spark plugs. i gapped them to 0.044. i changed my antifreeze 4 times this month. i havent changed my rotor or cap, looked at rotor today, its missing some plastic and got a ring chewed out of it all the way around. the cap looks used. ive been running 10.2 mm wires for 4 months now.
i think the ecu is either a p28 or 72. im not sure. il check tomorrow. and the pcv valve i replced when i painted my VC about a month ago.

Originally Posted by civic_driver
When the catalytic converter is clogged, the car will bog down a lot, not just at idle, when you drive as well.
oh ok, it runs real nice when its driving...well used to. until she died. so i gues its not the cat. i just thought maybe two months ago when this happened, i romped the **** out of her and it was fine after, that it blew the clog out or somthing.