Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to time car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to time car?

just took my camgear off today to put a new adjustable one on, and turns out the cheap ebay **** isnt even gunna work it doesnt have the key to slide into the camshaft so i put my old one on, i must have messed up the timing on the crankpully or sumthin messing with it and its off a tooth now, how do i retime the car from scratch, im aware of the marks on the crank and on the gear, but how do i make them both line up, spinning one spins the other so wats the correct way to do this
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u have to loosen the t-belt so they both dont spin, so first put your crank on TDC, then take belt, then line cam in up position, then put your belt back on then, make sure cam and crank r lined up correctly
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to time car? (Cashieboi)

thats why you dont buy eba products for performance. but what he said ^^
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: (hondachris1994)

ok so just take the belt off the camgear turn the crank til the marks match up close enough (dun have timing light) then turn the camgear to tdc accordin to the marks on the gear then put the belt on?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds liek you are about to bend some valves with your knowledge.

Read up on how to install a new timing belt on your car and follow said steps...Dont rely ont eh marks on your EBAY cam gear, who knows how far off they are. Honda didnt generally mess up with their marks. Just start out by making sure your crank is at TDC with the marks, hell you can even pull number one plug out and put a coat hanger in there and make sure the piston is at its highest point and the mark is at TDC and you know for sure your bottom end is correct. Number one cylinder by the way is the one closest to the timing belt.

Now for your cam gear. Pull your distributor cap off and line your cam gear up to where the marks say is TDC, now check your rotor, is it pointing to where the number one wire on teh cap is? Because it should be. Then reinstall your timing belt and make sure you adjust the tension properly.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: (Cashieboi)

cause i marked the belt where the left mark was the is suppose to be level with the block cant i just spin the crank without the belt on the gear and when the mark gets back to where it was slide the belt back on the gear? and im using my old camgear again not the ebay one that one isnt gunna work
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just do everything like you had just changed your timing belt and youll be ok.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (biggee)

1. Turn crank until it's at TDC (line up the mark on the crank with the mark on the timing cover.

2. Remove timing belt.

3. Rotate cam gear so the UP is pointing straight up, and the marks line up with the flat surface of the head.

4. Re-install timing belt.

5. Tension timing belt properly (This is part of the replace timing belt instructions)

6. Drive car.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (******)

i assume the key you speak of is the woodruff key that should be reused from stock cam on aftermarket gear its a separate piece but its common to kinda be stuck to either the cam or the gear
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (seabass10369)

so that peice comes out >.< omg how.... haha, and so yea buy turning the crank and lining it up he means the 3 marks in a row then a single mark on the crank thats suppose to be lined up with the mark popping out on the block right? cuz i thought u spin the gear til its tdc and check if cyl. 1 is at the top which it shude be right ? then take the belt off and turn the crank til that single mark is lined up with the mark on the block then put the belt back on? is that right?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cashieboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so that peice comes out &gt;.&lt; omg how.... haha, and so yea buy turning the crank and lining it up he means the 3 marks in a row then a single mark on the crank thats suppose to be lined up with the mark popping out on the block right? cuz i thought u spin the gear til its tdc and check if cyl. 1 is at the top which it shude be right ? then take the belt off and turn the crank til that single mark is lined up with the mark on the block then put the belt back on? is that right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I can understand of your above statement you're not heeding directions very well.

When the single white mark on the crank pulley lines up with the mark on the timing cover, you're at TDC.

You keep wanting to try to set the cam gear at TDC first, then remove the belt and set the crank to TDC. Stop it.

Follow the directions above. Set the crank to TDC first, remove the belt, then set the cam gear.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: (******)

i just done understand how u can turn the crankshaft and line the marks up take the belt of and then turn the camgear to TDC? if you turn the gear it turns the crank at the bottom, so how can u line up the bottom crank, take the belt off, then turn the gear to TDC when it moves the crank below it ?? and by timing cover to u mean the mark thats on the block? i just dont understand how im suppose to just turn the camgear until its tdc, it doesnt let you just turn the gear freely?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:33 PM

ok well try this its the old way to do it and insures it is right take out your number 1 spark plug out put a long rod or something in it till it touches the piston turn till rod is at very top that should be when the marks line up and the came gear should be set with up facing up
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cashieboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just done understand how u can turn the crankshaft and line the marks up take the belt of and then turn the camgear to TDC? if you turn the gear it turns the crank at the bottom, so how can u line up the bottom crank, take the belt off, then turn the gear to TDC when it moves the crank below it ?? and by timing cover to u mean the mark thats on the block? i just dont understand how im suppose to just turn the camgear until its tdc, it doesnt let you just turn the gear freely?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only connection between your cam(s) and crank is the timing belt. Remove the timing belt and the two (three if DOHC) are disconnected - they can then move independent of each another.

Adjust the crank first. The crank controls TDC. Then remove the belt. Cams can now turned without turning crank. Adjust cam(s). Put the belt back on. Tension belt. Voila.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only connection between your cam(s) and crank is the timing belt. Remove the timing belt and the two (three if DOHC) are disconnected - they can then move independent of each another.

Adjust the crank first. The crank controls TDC. Then remove the belt. Cams can now turned without turning crank. Adjust cam(s). Put the belt back on. Tension belt. Voila.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Thanks for some backup.