Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell what's how built this engine is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell what's how built this engine is?

I have not seen a situation like this. I don't have a surgical camera to stick down into the block and look at the pistons and rods to see if they're aftermarket. Would a small type video camera like Dr.'s use during surgery, be my only hope without having to take the head off and looking be my only hope? I'm beginning to think it is but if anyone has had this particular situation happen to them and have any info without having to rip motor apart would be awesome. I know this is probably a shot in the dark but I really don't want to take engine apart to see if it's been rebuilt from bottom end up. It's an lsvtec with stock b16 head as far as I know with a b18a1 block, I'm a Toyota guy, I've been told it looks stock but any opinions would be helpful before I drop it into my 99 civic ex with a base tune when it's built for a turbo and more power.. I have pics. I do know it has a MHG and that's all I know.
Attached Images        
Old 10-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell what's how built this engine is?

Besides the obvious AEM fuel rail and liquid filled Fuel pressure gauge. I know stock GSR, 99' Civic Si, and my 99 ex came with 240cc injectors and this thing has 410cc RC injectors?? IDK what the hell they built this engine to do but since it came with those massive injectors and a 60mm turbo with all kinds of Tial goodies I am assuming it was built to be turbo'd but i have a p28 programmed with Crome for a stock lsvtec b18 bottom end. Once I put the engine in how will it run on a base lsvtec tune if it's not stock on the bottom end and has been over bored and crap?????
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have bought an adapter harness- obd2b to obd1, is that right or do I need one that adapts to an obd0? the head says its a 93
Old 10-11-2017, 02:31 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Without taking the head off, the only view you'll get is from the bottom up by taking off the oil pan. It may be possible to tell if it has forged or aftermarket rods from underneath, but pistons may be more difficult to identify.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

because the chrome clutch? lol

Honestly, I would never buy a car/motor that claims to have a "built" motor. Idiots these days replace gaskets and valve stems and profess it as built.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought of that and oil pan is coming off in about an hour. Soon as sunlight comes up. I am going to get my mechanic over here and see if he knows any tricks from the freaking late 60's & 70's but I doubt it. I'm totally new to modified Honda's, so what will happen if the bottom end is built but I still throw that p28 programmed for stock internals of a b18 Lsvtec to run everything? I can't think of any problems but IDK.... Anyone? Also, why would this guy program the ECU to be able to rev as high as 8000rpm+ cuz I know the b18a can't handle that kind of revving especially with a MHG. I don't even know how thick the gasket is so IDK how much they shaved off the head and block. Making the CR a complete mystery. Looks like the whole engine is coming apart and I'll look for forged internals. But I would like to know if it'll run either way with a stock lsvtec tune so I don't have to worry????? If I didn't get sooo much extra B-series parts with the motor and tranny that i needed for my B20 swap, and if it wasn't a steal, and if I didn't know I could eventually figure it out with some labor I would've passed but it came right when my y8 blew its HG for the 2nd time and my mechanic worked on rebuilding the head of this lsvtec, so I know it's a good motor. I just wanted to see if there was a chance to find out whats in it before I have to take it apart and do math to find out the compression ratio while my car sits for another 2-3 weeks.The swap will literally take a day so I just want it done with already. Cuz I haven't even started putting together my B20 in my 98 cx hatch yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

No need to stress about it, just go through it step at a time. Get some pics of the rods and pistons from underneath as best you can, and post em up here. Someone might be able to ID whether they are stock or not at minimum.

Give the engine a good work-over, compression test, etc. You may not be able to determine static compression but not a huge deal.

It will NOT run on the P28 with a stock B18 tune, because you have bigger than stock injectors. The tune will need to compensate for those, or you will need some 240cc injectors. Not sure about the 8000 rev limit, with a B16 head I would think it's fine but someone would need to confirm if the bottom end is also. Mine has B18C1 bottom, B16a head and was set at 8500 rev limit, which I've lowered to 8000.

I also would not "trust" someone saying an engine is built and trying to put down tons of power with it, unless you confirm what it is built to handle.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ty for the info 2x0, I am going to use the stock injectors from my 99' ex they are 240cc. But I haven't tried to fit them into the AEM fuel rail yet and I don't have a stock b16 fuel rail, maybe rockauto has some to sell if the stock 240cc injectors won't fit. But I am definitely doing it right the first time i'm taking it apart right now. Thanks for the help if I can get some pics i will post them, but If they are stock I'll just google pics of stock ones and check but if not I'll ask you guys.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

The way I see it, if it breaks then it needed to be rebuilt anyway, amirite?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm kinda 50/50 on this motor anyway cuz worse comes to worse I'll just reuse the b16 head on my rebuilt B20 and turbo it. I just wanted a quick DD Civic, and a weekend Civic for SCCA. Just like I did with my Toyota's, i can't track my Supra anymore and there isn't anywhere to race my motorcycles around here. I'm really a rwd guy but I'm only a year and a half into Honda's and my family and friends are super surprised about how hard I'm going in on my fwd cars. If anyone has a b16 or GSR head for sale lmk and I'll buy it right now! I got the $$$ at the moment and will pay for busted one so I can rebuild it for my turbo civic if necessary. "There's just something about engines, that um, calms me down. Ya know".......
Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
because the chrome clutch? lol

Honestly, I would never buy a car/motor that claims to have a "built" motor. Idiots these days replace gaskets and valve stems and profess it as built.
All of this. You just bought an ls block with a b16a 1st gen head. Those aem fuel gauges make it loo 1337 as ****.