Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to tell what tranny i have and what parts of it i can interchange?

Old 01-05-2005, 04:55 PM

Location: Driving your sister in Southern California., ca, duh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tell what tranny i have and what parts of it i can interchange?

hey, i have a 94 civic ex and the syncros in the tranny are shot. i ended up picking up a motor that came with a tranny and im not sure what the tranny came out of. there are no numbers on it whatsoever. only things that may be of some help is that it came with a d16a6 (not sure if its the tranny that was always with it) and it is a cable clutch, not hydro like my ex's tranny. what im wondering is if it is possible to swap the syncros from the tranny i picked up into my old tranny. also, can i swap any of the gearing and make it a little better for performance? thanks in advance, dan
Old 01-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: how to tell what tranny i have and what parts of it i can interchange? (IsBlueSmokeBad)

anyone? beuller? beuller?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: how to tell what tranny i have and what parts of it i can interchange? (IsBlueSmokeBad)

there should be three tags on it two on the passenger side (away from engine) and a little tag near the engine with a vin # on it
Old 01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dan
have you torn down your Z6 tranny? odds are you are experiencing problems with the shifter fork, which is pretty notorious in those trannies. just some food for thought. and i dont believe you will be able to use parts from the cable tranny in your hydro, somebody correct me if im wrong there. good luck
Old 01-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: how to tell what tranny i have and what parts of it i can interchange? (lohatch)

hmmm that could be. i havent ripped it apart yet but i was planning on it soon. what happens to the fork? does it wear out or bend? and can it be repaired? im only familiar with automatics and motorcycle trannies unfortunately but i have an idea how manual trannies work.
and as far as the tag/vin#, the tranny has no markings on it. it has also been painted so whatever was there has been painted over.

thanks alot guys,
dan
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 PM

save your self some trouble because u can get a ex tranny for about 100 bucks here in nor cali. i have a extra one at my house pay me $20 and shipping you can have it. or any one in the vacaville area can pick it up for 20 bucks works perfect
Old 01-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (jeffchaisi)

I don't think those 88-91 tranny parts will fit inside the 92-95 tranny. And if the tranny is an 88 model I know it won't fit because the mainshaft sizes are totally different.

I'd IM user Mista Bone - he's the D-Series tranny guru.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:29 PM

thanks alot guys! ill probably get another one and just dissasemble both these old ones when i get bored for experience.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IsBlueSmokeBad)

the shift forks are aluminum in the Z6 trannies and are more prone to breaking than Y8 trannies. you can buy a new for for like $57 at honda, i think that is wholesale cost though.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (lohatch)

hmmm i might make a new one out of steel then. the way i am with cars i need it to be strong.