Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out...

In my 94 dx hatch the odometer and trip meters are flaking out. They usually don't work for the first 10 or so miles, then start working all of a sudden. The speedo seems to be fine as far as I can tell. The check engine light has not come on...

I took out the VSS, but didn't really know what to look for. The drive link was pretty goopy with lubricant and the inside white part of the 3-p connector that plugs into it appears to have some inky black substance on it.

Are there any visual indications of a bad VSS?? Or is there any way to test it? Also, would a replacement have to be purchased from Honda? I didn't see anything on autozones site...

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Matt
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out... (mdmitch2)

bump
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out... (mdmitch2)

Borrow one from a friend and swap them out to tell is the easiest way. I work in a shop and we hook up a scanner and drive the car around the block and look at it that way. could also be in the wiring between said sensor and the cluster, check all your connections to make sure there clean and put some dialetric (sp) grease in them to keep them clean.

You may be able to have Autozone do one of there free tests on it but its a maybe.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out... (nocturnaldra

hmmm i dont really know anyone else with an eg civic... The VSS from the EF isnt the same is it?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to tell if Speed Sensor is bad? Just bought car and odometer is flaking out... (nocturnaldra

yo man, your odometer is flaking?? but not your speedometer? sounds to me like the car's milage was rolled back...they never work properly after this has been done. in some cases, the numbers don't even lign up right anymore
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM

i'm pretty sure thats not the case being that I bought the car from the original owner and he has all the paperwork to back it up. not to mention the carfax report was spotless. It shows 146000 miles so a rollback should be noted in carfax. you never know though. I guess it could have a lot more if this problem had been going on for a while before I bought it.

Nevertheless, the car runs great otherwise and is in pretty immaculate condition.

I wonder if Honda will let me return a VSS if it doesnt fix the problem. They would probably want me to let them install it for any warranty...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 AM

i'm pretty sure thats not the case being that I bought the car from the original owner and he has all the paperwork to back it up. not to mention the carfax report was spotless. It shows 146000 miles so a rollback should be noted in carfax. you never know though. I guess it could have a lot more if this problem had been going on for a while before I bought it.

Nevertheless, the car runs great otherwise and is in pretty immaculate condition.

I wonder if Honda will let me return a VSS if it doesnt fix the problem. They would probably want me to let them install it for any warranty...
Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may help.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1339235