Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell if alternator is bad or wiring is bad? (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:35 PM
I missed the boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if alternator is bad or wiring is bad? (searched)

Hey guys I finished my OBD1 B16 swap into my 2000 civic hatch and it started and drove fine for the first few hours after it was done (I assume on battery power). When it was time to head home I turned on the headlights and headed out, a few miles into the trip the lights dimmed and finally they turned off and the car died. So I jumpstart my car and it instanly fires to life and I set out again this time same thing happens only right after I leave .

So now I am wandering:

#1- Is it OK to use a D series alternator on a Bseries motor?
#2- Is there a fuse for the alternator that could be blown?
#3- How do I tell the difference between a wiring problem and a alternator problem?

I used the harness off of my 2000 civic so I used the alternator from this car also, I checked the plug and it looks good and is securely in the alternator, I also checked the ground and it looks good also.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated......I wanna drive this thing
Old 08-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (l Hybrid l)

What I did for my B16A2 swap in my 97 hatch is I used the alternator that came with the swap. I also used the wiring harness that was off of my hatch and spliced in the alternator plugs from the harness off of the swap. From what i remembered two of the colors matched and the other two I had to check in my chiltons to find each function, then i matched them up from there.

So if I'm getting this right your using the D-series alternator on your B-series swap. I dont know if thatll work.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
I missed the boat

Default Re: (aw1234dude)

Exactly, I am using my OBD2 D series alternator on my OBD1 B series motor. It went on OK all I had to do was use a few washers to shim it out where it needed to be and that way it plugged right in. But the car had no noticable problems until after the swap.

Is there any way that you could post up which wires you spliced together on your alternator setup? Maybe I will just use the Bseries alternator that came with the motor if I know which wires to use

Thanks for the help guys.......any more suggestions?