Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell if all cylinders firing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if all cylinders firing

I have a 95 civic dx d15b. Has 140k on the motor but it feels weak compared to my old hatch with 240k. I can go up hills and accelerate faster in my old hatch than the new one. Both motors are stock so not sure why. Wondering if all 4 cylinders are firing. Anyone know an easy way I can tell? I will not have access to tools to do any crazy testing. Just need a simple check/solution. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell if all cylinders firing

I would venture to say that if not all 4 cylinders in your car were firing ie you were only running on 3 cylinders it would be very obvious. Your car would be struggling mightily and probably hesitating a lot between gear shifts. Is your civic a manual or automatic? My experience has been the old automatic 4 cylinders always struggle up hills which is why I always try to buy manuals so I can put the car in the gear I want.

A simple check that I have read about is to put your car in idle and then pull the spark plug wires off each cylinder 1 at a time. You should hear a change in the rpms if you don't then that means that cylinder isn't running.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ correct. Run the engine, pull off each wire one at a time and listen for a significant drop in rpm. I would use pliers so u don't spark yourself. If u find a cylinder that has no drop in rpm, or very little compared to the others - that's your problem cylinder. From there you can determine if it's spark/fuel/or compression related.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:52 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pull wires with the car running. That's a great way to fry a coil. If you were only firing on 3, it would be dead obvious. The engine would be running like ****. Is the CEL on? Does it work? You said you don't have access to tools, but that doesn't stop you from renting them from a parts store. Buy/borrow/rent a compression tester, and a spark tester, and use both. Compression numbers should be higher than 100, and within 3 PSI of each other, and the spark should be white/blue.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a 5 speed. It runs smooth but just has a lack of power compared to my old hatch. I'll have to go to a parts store when I get a chance. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by supadupafast
It runs smooth
Then all four cylinders are firing.

If one cylinder isn't firing it would sound like a Subaru Impreza. I know this because I accidentally left my number four plug wire off after a treatment and started it for a second. It ran but sounded horrible as a Honda is not supposed to sound like a Subaru.

I immediately shut the car off, plugged in the wire and started her back up and she purred like the Honda she is.

You could have a very tired motor. If the rings were not seated properly when new, they could be severely worn with the less mileage. Romping on a motor when brand spanking new is actually good for it, especially in the long run.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:27 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also haven't told us what your "old hatch with 240k" is. There are a few hatches out there that are old, but I'd still say "no **** it feels slow comparatively."

At the end of the day, though, if you aren't willing to get some tools to do basic diagnostics, then we can't help you, and this thread is a waste of everyone's time. OP, are you going to put in a little bit of work, or are you wasting our time?
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a tired motor then. Just hoping something I could do without tools. Thanks for clarification. And yea, old hatch was a 93 dx new one is a 95 dx. Like I mentioned, no access to tools because I'm isolated for a few months and therefore, my request for simple check/solution.