Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to take the paint of?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take the paint of?

hey guys, i recently painted my clear taillights and now i was reading a thread and it said i needed to use red (Transparent paint) so i am just wondering how i can take the paint of without destroying the surface of the tailight??
thanks Greg
here is a pic

Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (Bulli Kid)

try this... go to Home Depot or any home store type deal. Go to the paint section, look for a paint removing chemical that says "plastic safe" You will find something that will work great. I had to do this taking paint of my plastic interior pieces, but i can't remember the name of the paint removing chemical.

But DO NOT get this crap on your hands, it will instantly burn your skin right off. Its like a jelly type paint remover.

But like i said, you should be able to find something that says "plastic safe" or "poly safe" something like that.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint thinner should work.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (EK k kay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Paint thinner should work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 08-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (sniggler316)

paint thinner is crap. It'll thin the paint as the name says, but it doesn't remove it. You'll be at it for hours and hours...
I don't if it's any good for plastic, but get paint stripper. It's a jelly like the other guy said. It'll take the paint off in 20 seconds. But yea, you will need to get like neoprene gloves.
I removed paint of a valve cover a month or so back. You'll need a paint brush or something to spread it. And do it in sections. Don't do the whole tail light at once. It's goes fast anyways.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how to take the paint of? (n00bcivicowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00bcivicowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try this... go to Home Depot or any home store type deal. Go to the paint section, look for a paint removing chemical that says "plastic safe" You will find something that will work great. I had to do this taking paint of my plastic interior pieces, but i can't remember the name of the paint removing chemical.

But DO NOT get this crap on your hands, it will instantly burn your skin right off. Its like a jelly type paint remover.

But like i said, you should be able to find something that says "plastic safe" or "poly safe" something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word, I was gonna say acitone might be okay as welll..but I'm not sure if it's plastic safe...
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (Syndacate)

thanks guys but not to those that said paint tinner. that **** will melt the crap out of the talilight. i head tried doing that on a headlight and it got messed up bad.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some dot 3 brake fluid nd dip the tailights in that for couple hours paint will come of but plastic wnt get damaged
i lil trick used to remove paint of plastic models
it should work
Old 08-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Word, I was gonna say acitone might be okay as welll..but I'm not sure if it's plastic safe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd also suggest acetone, but read the back of whatever you are about to purchase and make sure it says plastic safe. The last thing you want to do is end up melting the tails..or screwin them up cosmetically. Im not sure if acetone is plastic safe or not but a few years ago a buddy painted his dash bright yellow (yeah, genius eh?). After being blinded in the sun one too many times, he took some acetone to it. The paint came off, and relatively easy too...but the dash never looked the same as far as shine goes. It looked reallllly dull and flat, and ArmorAll type products helped a bit but its still not the same.

Good luck man, and remember **** happens. At the end of the day they're just tail lights. Let us know how it turns out and what you used for people with this problem in the future.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulli Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys but not to those that said paint tinner. that **** will melt the crap out of the talilight. i head tried doing that on a headlight and it got messed up bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just put paint thinner on my taillight to get some adhesive off and it didn't, "melt the crap out of it." You may have used acetone, which will warp plastic.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (sniggler316)

Nail polish remover has acetone in it correct? I assume (seeing I'm a dude) that girls use that stuff on their fake nails which I also assume are plastic...
Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Lacqour thiner. I cant spell that word, but it works like a charm! I blacked out my old ek's taillights and if you use a small amount at a time, and wipe clean with water after use, it looks brand new. I actually had people asing me where I got my new tails from.. lol

-Jason
Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jason-)

they sell some stuff at autozone and advanc that is a bumper stripper. safe on plastic and trim but will strip paint. Easiest way.

acetone and paint thinner arent strong enough.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulli Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, i recently painted my clear taillights and now i was reading a thread and it said i needed to use red (Transparent paint) so i am just wondering how i can take the paint of without destroying the surface of the tailight??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait... you mean you painted your tail lights with regular paint ????.... What a $#@!% got to the store and get advanc
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (Harryflores)

your girlfriends nail polish remover
it worked for mine
Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (n00bcivicowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by md88hfcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they sell some stuff at autozone and advanc that is a bumper stripper. safe on plastic and trim but will strip paint. Easiest way.

acetone and paint thinner arent strong enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...he used regular paint...
Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to take the paint of? (MilanoCivic97)

Good luck finding a stripper that is "plastic safe"
Even if you do, I would be skeptical in using it because your taillights are clear, which means they are more like plexiglass.

Try taking it off with some fine steel wool

I know it's more work but if you are careful to not go too deep then you won't damage anything
Old 08-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mirrors in that car look straight hideous.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 AM
H-T White Ops

Buy a new set of tail lights, because there's no way in hell you're going to get that paint off and still have the plastic be clear.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

dam you guys series.
so the crap on plastics wont work?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bulli Kid)

nail polish remover
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Em1Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Em1Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nail polish remover </TD></TR></TABLE> its mostly made of acetone
Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulli Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dam you guys series.
so the crap on plastics wont work?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No offense dude, but painting your taillights with non transparent paint? Cmon now, I don't even think you can call that a stupid moment.

Do what the guy said about the brake cleaner. Or, you could get out the sandpaper, sand it all to hell, progressively moving to 1000+ grit paper and then put plastic polish on it.

Probably won't work, but it'll teach you to never paint anything again.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: (SovXietday)

eh ill wait it out and hopefully the paint will come off by old age
Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ppl put in all that work to help you..and ur just gonna let it come off with old age.

Quick Reply: how to take the paint of?