Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to take off on 96-00 civic window moldings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to take off 96-00 civic window moldings?

Im looking to paint the moldings which sit right below the driver/passenger window. How do i safely take them off? I've been searching but the only molding threads i've found are for the lower door moldings. Also i'd like some advice on what paint i should use?

Here's a link to the part i'm referring to, part 1.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...LDING

Modified by bmoua at 3:46 PM 4/25/2008
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad link.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (themikewoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themikewoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bad link.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry bro, just fixed it
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've looked this up before and all I ever find is that it's held on with clips. I'm not sure how exactly to remove them, but here's what it's supposed to look like.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

how do u take off outer molding, i wanna paint mine
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (Project.Jdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project.Jdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u take off outer molding, i wanna paint mine</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did you miss what this thread is about? The OP asked THE SAME THING.

Just subscribe and wait for an answer.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

hmm... i'd like to figure this out myself! anyone?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Mine just kinda... Popped off from the outside. Then the possibilities (hint) are endless!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Davus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Davus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine just kinda... Popped off from the outside. Then the possibilities (hint) are endless!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about stealing cars? Is this why the OP wants to remove window mouldings?

Anyway....I'm too damn lazy to remove it. I'm just gonna tape everything off and repaint mine. Way easier.

Easy way &gt; hard way.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you talking about stealing cars? Is this why the OP wants to remove window mouldings?

Anyway....I'm too damn lazy to remove it. I'm just gonna tape everything off and repaint mine. Way easier.

Easy way &gt; hard way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i'm not trying to steal cars bro haha...

i actually figured out how to take the moldings out, there's 3 phillip screws that hold the sash trim to the door. If you open the door and look behind the sash trim you'll see the screws. Take those screws off ( i took out only the lower two screws) and slide the lower sash trim out (pull away from the door not towards the door) because it connects to the outer molding. Once thats done, slowly move the outer molding back and forth so the each clip (5 total clips) breaks loose and pull the molding up. A small portion of the outer molding is held right under the side mirrors so make sure once you get the clips out to pull the outer molding away from the door.

I was going to paint the moldings but wasn't able to take off the black paint or what ever material that's called off. I tried sanding it down and using the aircraft strip but i couldn't get it off. I decided to buy a used set in good condition and called it a day.

Thx NOFX for the trying to help me out...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Re: how to take off 96-00 civic window moldings? (bmoua)

Hi, does anybody know or have the srews for the sash trim??? I bought a used 95 coupe without the trim, I got them at the dealership, but they don't sell the screw, it's freacking driving me crazy looking at the unfinished doors!!!

Any help would be appreciated, and yes, I've been to pretty much every hardware store known to man, and they don't have them, they're quite unique (flat head, plastic washer, short, stainless steel, etc...).
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to take off 96-00 civic window moldings? (el-che)

I just masked mine up last weekend and sprayed them with undercoating. it looks fairly stock just a bit more texture and I know its going to be durable and stick good
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no i'm not trying to steal cars bro haha...

i actually figured out how to take the moldings out, there's 3 phillip screws that hold the sash trim to the door. If you open the door and look behind the sash trim you'll see the screws. Take those screws off ( i took out only the lower two screws) and slide the lower sash trim out (pull away from the door not towards the door) because it connects to the outer molding. Once thats done, slowly move the outer molding back and forth so the each clip (5 total clips) breaks loose and pull the molding up. A small portion of the outer molding is held right under the side mirrors so make sure once you get the clips out to pull the outer molding away from the door.

I was going to paint the moldings but wasn't able to take off the black paint or what ever material that's called off. I tried sanding it down and using the aircraft strip but i couldn't get it off. I decided to buy a used set in good condition and called it a day.

Thx NOFX for the trying to help me out... </TD></TR></TABLE>

good info, just replaced mine the other night the same way....
Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s2kholic)

ok I did it a few year back on my 99 civic I don't remember exactly but I just Open the door remove door pannel lowered the window and wiggle it out u just got to mess with it. It has a bunch of little metal hooks holding it that actually look like this &lt; &lt; &lt; &lt; &lt; (yes v's). It wasn't hard at all.