Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   How to Swap Interior Harness? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-swap-interior-harness-2632660/)

b18cEK 08-23-2009 07:24 AM

How to Swap Interior Harness?

Hi,
I searched for a how to on swapping interior harnesses and checked the FAQ sections, but had no luck finding a thread.

So how do I swap an interior harness on a 2000 ex. I swapped a 2000 HX motor in and I guess all HX's are obd2a so I need to swap the interior harness in to make it work.
Thanks!

geneeunit 08-23-2009 08:36 AM

Re: How to Swap Interior Harness?

take the old harness out.. put the new one in?

maybe more details would help your thread, year of car, make model.. year fo harness, make, model.. reason for changing.

b18cEK 08-23-2009 08:41 AM

2000 ex. I swapped a 2000 HX motor in and I guess all HX's are obd2a so I need to swap the interior harness in to make it work.

alacard 08-23-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by b18cEK (Post 39721695)
2000 ex. I swapped a 2000 HX motor in and I guess all HX's are obd2a so I need to swap the interior harness in to make it work.

I think there is some mis-information going on here. You shouldn't have to swap any harnesses. You should have to swap ECU's, though. If 2000 hx's are indeed obd2a, then you need to purchase a obd2b to obd2a harness which can be found on just about any online store that caters to Hondas:

http://www.boomslang.us/obd2to2.htm

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...ode=OBDHARNESS

Evasive has a much better price..

geneeunit 08-23-2009 12:05 PM

if you dont want to buy a conversion harness or if you have the HX underdash already, it really is as simple as pulling the dash, taking the old harness out, swapping in the new harness.. you might have to change some plugs, but just make your self a pigtail and then cut/solder/repeat.

b18cEK 08-23-2009 01:49 PM

For $62 off ebay, I may as well just get the conversion harness.
Thanks for the info guys!

alacard 08-24-2009 03:22 PM

Easy and pulling the dash should never be in the same sentence.

Good deal man, good luck with your issue.

jdmrhdeg 08-24-2009 03:25 PM

yea your better off just going to your local import speed shop i getting an obd2a or b jumper harness for like $90-$120

jdmrhdeg 08-24-2009 03:26 PM

then again its pretty easy pulling the dash.

slowhatchcali 08-24-2009 03:26 PM

i dont see why the 2000 HX would be obd2a! if anything, it probly has an obd2a harness on it, all you have to do is use your 2000 ex engine harness and you'll be set, no need to downgrade your interior harness!

94EG8 08-25-2009 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by slowhatchcali (Post 39736939)
i dont see why the 2000 HX would be obd2a!

I don't think anyone does, but the point is they are.

Originally Posted by slowhatchcali (Post 39736939)
if anything, it probly has an obd2a harness on it, all you have to do is use your 2000 ex engine harness and you'll be set, no need to downgrade your interior harness!

You can't run an OBD2A interior harness with an OBD2B engine harness or vice versa.

If you try to run and OBD2A Interior harness with an OBD2B engine harness you will be missing plug "A" at the ECU (this is because plug "A" is part of the engine harness on OBD2A civics and part of the interior harness on OBD2B civics)

If you try to run an OBD2B interior harness with an OBD2A engine harness you will have problems as well.

If it was anything but a '99 - '00 HX i'd just say modify the harness in it. Bit in this case I would replace the interior harness. Pulling the dash is not hard, a little time consuming the first time you do it, but not hard.

slowhatchcali 08-25-2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 39741418)
I don't think anyone does, but the point is they are.

You can't run an OBD2A interior harness with an OBD2B engine harness or vice versa.

If you try to run and OBD2A Interior harness with an OBD2B engine harness you will be missing plug "A" at the ECU (this is because plug "A" is part of the engine harness on OBD2A civics and part of the interior harness on OBD2B civics)

If you try to run an OBD2B interior harness with an OBD2A engine harness you will have problems as well.

If it was anything but a '99 - '00 HX i'd just say modify the harness in it. Bit in this case I would replace the interior harness. Pulling the dash is not hard, a little time consuming the first time you do it, but not hard.

no, you didnt understand what i was trying to tell him... i told him to use the 2000 EX harness, his car is 2000, will it match up? I think so. There is no need to replace the dash harness, that is way more work than what this is calling for. Get an obd2b harness, throw it on the motor, and bam! he's got himself a running car.

94EG8 08-25-2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by slowhatchcali (Post 39748572)
no, you didnt understand what i was trying to tell him... i told him to use the 2000 EX harness, his car is 2000, will it match up? I think so. There is no need to replace the dash harness, that is way more work than what this is calling for. Get an obd2b harness, throw it on the motor, and bam! he's got himself a running car.

Except that you forgot its an HX, leaving you with the EGR valve to wire in, rewiring for a 5 wire wideband O2 sensor, and a distributor plug to swap (or use a '99 - '00 Y7/Y8 distributor) Is it hard to modify the EX harness to do this? No, not particularly. Buts its definately no easier than just swapping the interior harness.

slowhatchcali 08-25-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 39748688)
Except that you forgot its an HX, leaving you with the EGR valve to wire in, rewiring for a 5 wire wideband O2 sensor, and a distributor plug to swap (or use a '99 - '00 Y7/Y8 distributor) Is it hard to modify the EX harness to do this? No, not particularly. Buts its definately no easier than just swapping the interior harness.

id rather modify the ex harness than do an interior harness swap... have you ever done one? its tedious, and why downgrade the car...

94EG8 08-25-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by slowhatchcali (Post 39748836)
id rather modify the ex harness than do an interior harness swap... have you ever done one? its tedious, and why downgrade the car...

As a matter of fact I have swapped interior harnesses before. Its time consuming if you've never pulled a dash and interior panels before. But otherwise its not that bad. I wouldn't really call it a downgrade. OBD2B didn't offer anything compelling over OBD2A. I've also modified more stock harnesses than most people on here (and did a better job than 99.9% of them too) The big reason I suggested the interior swap is that its very hard to screw up. Some people for whatever reason have a major problem with wiring (a lot more guys than you would think are color blind).

Conclusion:
-modifying the existing harness involves less physical work, but is easier to screw up if have never wired anything before.

slowhatchcali 08-25-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 39750640)
As a matter of fact I have swapped interior harnesses before. Its time consuming if you've never pulled a dash and interior panels before. But otherwise its not that bad. I wouldn't really call it a downgrade. OBD2B didn't offer anything compelling over OBD2A. I've also modified more stock harnesses than most people on here (and did a better job than 99.9% of them too) The big reason I suggested the interior swap is that its very hard to screw up. Some people for whatever reason have a major problem with wiring (a lot more guys than you would think are color blind).

Conclusion:
-modifying the existing harness involves less physical work, but is easier to screw up if have never wired anything before.

ive done plenty of harness swaps including a crx with a full obd1 harness, two 96 ek's with obd2b harness swaps also, didnt do it because i wanted but it was because of REF/BAR lol damn you CA!! but thats very true about the part how its hard to mess up just swapping the harness, cant really go wrong, unless you dont know how to clip in plugs lol... about it being downgraded, depending on where he lives it might not pass inspection, CA at least is a bitch for us!

94EG8 08-25-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by slowhatchcali (Post 39750696)
about it being downgraded, depending on where he lives it might not pass inspection, CA at least is a bitch for us!

I forgot about that (I think theres only 2 provinces in Canada that have any sort of emissions testing at all, and its not particularly strict. New Brunswick doesn't have anything at all, if I want to swap in an older engine, B20, small block chevy, whatever thats fine. Car just has to pass an annual safety inspection.) I think though the only state this particular sort of swap would be a concern would be california, most states only require that the CEL not be on and the engine be the same year or newer than the car. I'm not even sure what would happen in California in this case. Engine is the same year as the car, the HX just happened to stay OBD2A, i'm not quite sure what they would do in this case as its a really weird situation, not something that would normally come up.