Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Input shaft or throwout.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input shaft or throwout.

1993 honda civic delsol. d16z6 71k miles 5 speed.

Ive had the car for over a year now and i've always noticed a slight grinding noise coming from the transmission. It has slowly gotten worse.

I don't hear any grinding when shifting or when in neutral or with the clutch disengaged or engaged. The only time I hear it is when I'm in gear and not on the throttle.

Ive researched quite a bit and came up with the input shaft bearing or the throwout. I know how to replace either of them I'm just wondering if anyone has any input or personal experience on what bearing is the culprit.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Input shaft or throwout.

Very very generally, the ISB will make noise with the clutch disengaged (pedal not depressed) and the throw out bearing with the clutch engaged (pedal depressed).

However, that may not always be the case. Check the Transmission forum. There's a thread about it in there.

The best way to find out for sure is take it shop to have them check it out. We'll all just be guessing with your description.

eH.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll definitely look at the transmisson threads I didn't know their was any. The transmission is still in the car and I don't have any time where I can not have my car for work.

I know somethings you have to take it to a shop unless you have all the tools but I like doing eveything myself.

So if worst comes to worst I'll just have to replace both bearings.

Still open for anyone else's input or ideas.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the link;

https://honda-tech.com/transmission-...-help-3265558/

At the end of that thread is another link.

eH.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattsLegit
I'll definitely look at the transmisson threads I didn't know their was any. The transmission is still in the car and I don't have any time where I can not have my car for work.

I know somethings you have to take it to a shop unless you have all the tools but I like doing eveything myself.

So if worst comes to worst I'll just have to replace both bearings.

Still open for anyone else's input or ideas.
I'm leaning towards it being throw out considering the low miles, but isb is still a possibility. I'd replace both while I'm in there, new clutch kit and resurface the flywheel for a good piece of mind.

Edit: This just sounds like the early stages of the either of those failing... I wouldn't worry about it until you hear the noise with the clutch depressed or disengaged. I would recommend you flush the tranny, and report back
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll flush the transmission tomorrow and let you know if that helped.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Do all D-series transmissions fit

I have a few questions I did some research and most posts people answers were different. I have a d16z6 1993 delsol si.

I plan on getting a cheap transmission from pullapart. So I need to know if other D series fit.

1. Will a d16y8 transmission fit instead of a d16z6

2. Is there any differences besides the shift forks being different.

3. If I get a d16y8 trans will my d16z6 axles still work.

Thanks for any ideas
Old 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I flushed it and didn't seems to help. I think i'm going to pull the transmission, is their any way to check if its the input shaft bearing or the throw out bearing when I have the transmission out.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: Do all D-series transmissions fit

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

Under part 7, transmission section. Check here first, for all your questions. If you can't find it here, report back.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For manual transmissions, yes, all 92-00 D series transmissions are plug and play. They even share the same clutch. For autotragics, no, no, and no.

Assuming you're talking about the clutch fork, the fork did change between the 5G and 6G chassis', but only in composition. You can use a 5G clutch fork on a 6G, and vice versa. Yes, the axles are the same as well.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 PM

The throwout bearing will be easy - just roll it in your fingers. If you hear it clicking, grinding, or rolling unevenly, it's shot. The input shaft bearing is a little harder, but grab the input shaft. If you can wiggle it AT ALL, the bearing is shot. Those bearings absolutely love getting **** out, though, so it would be a safe bet it's dead.

Also worth mentioning, if you decide to tear into the transmission to replace the ISB, go ahead and replace all of the synchros, seals, and bearings while you're in there. The ISB is basically the last thing you can remove from the case, so save yourself the time of having to re-open later for the other stuff and just knock it all out at once.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replys. I'll definitely be taking it apart soon and checking it out or getting another trans
Old 02-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for clearing most of that up for me. What did u mean by autotragic tho?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 PM

Autotragic, Failomatic, Slushbox, Two-pedaled bitchbox.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmfao! Your to funny. My delsols manual automatics are to boring.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

And to clarify the shift fork question if you meant internal is 92-95 used aluminum shift forks on the synchros while the 96-00 used steel shift forks internally.

You might think steel is better but many prefer the aluminum.

Here is my theory on that. With steel you could bend the fork so it semi works, pops out sometimes etc. In the long run causing more damage from added wear and tear etc.

With aluminum, it tends to just break, so instead of extra wear, you know instantly you messed something up. Crack it open, put in a new shift fork and you are most likely back in business without having to buy new gears and synchros for the ones corresponding to that shift fork.

At least this was the only reason I could come up with why people would prefer the aluminum forks over the steel. Other than that, the difference between 92-00 D series manuals is bearing size between EX/SI trannies and CX/DX/VX/HX.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
The throwout bearing will be easy - just roll it in your fingers. If you hear it clicking, grinding, or rolling unevenly, it's shot. The input shaft bearing is a little harder, but grab the input shaft. If you can wiggle it AT ALL, the bearing is shot. Those bearings absolutely love getting **** out, though, so it would be a safe bet it's dead.

Also worth mentioning, if you decide to tear into the transmission to replace the ISB, go ahead and replace all of the synchros, seals, and bearings while you're in there. The ISB is basically the last thing you can remove from the case, so save yourself the time of having to re-open later for the other stuff and just knock it all out at once.
If there are absolutely no grinds and everything is still shifting smooth, I personally wouldn't bother with synchros unless you have the cash for it.

I know here in BC Canada it was 200 bucks canadian after tax just for the ISB and the two axle seals direct from Honda. Let alone the 400+ USD to get synchros from Synchrotech shipped to the door.

But really if you have the cash, you should also change out all the bearings and the thrust washer if you are doing the full rebuild. Oh wait you did say all bearings... My bad.

You can probably buy a rebuilt from Synchrotech for the same or less cash than what it will be for all the parts.

Oh nice, prices have come down since the last time I looked at Synchrotech parts.... Full master kit for 400 USD.... Now if only the exchange was better.....
Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Two-pedaled bitch box .
I'm stealing this phrase
Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1