Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's

I've done some research and find that people keep arguing over these two setups, but I can't make up my mind. Recently, I stumbled onto some good prices for both cams and can't decide which set I should spend my money on.

I've heard of people having problems with the Jun Valvesprings, so they use Toda Valvesprings, any input?

Anything you guys can add will help me.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (BenB)

Mike M from IPS has a killer deal for JUN 3s. See if it's still available..
Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (00MRSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00MRSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mike M from IPS has a killer deal for JUN 3s. See if it's still available.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol...are you saying Juns are the way to go?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:42 AM

I guess I'm saying for the price he's asking, they are the way to go.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JUN III are different than Toda B... you've got to remember that the JUN cams will have some really good top end, at the sacrafice of low, to low-mid power. Toda cams will be good in the mid range and still put out up top, but not as much as JUN. I don't know what to tell you about the springs, cause I'm running JUN springs with my stage III cams and have NEVER had any issues... it's been about a year.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (advanracing62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by advanracing62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JUN III are different than Toda B... you've got to remember that the JUN cams will have some really good top end, at the sacrafice of low, to low-mid power. Toda cams will be good in the mid range and still put out up top, but not as much as JUN. I don't know what to tell you about the springs, cause I'm running JUN springs with my stage III cams and have NEVER had any issues... it's been about a year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand the differences in the cams...it's more of a quality factor. People talk about camshafts breaking and such, or valvesprings that suck, but I'm really begining to believe that most of it is installer error.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:26 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

jun ...ive heard some bad stories for toda and based on that id go with jun...i have a few friends that have had them and they liked them
Old 06-21-2003, 10:26 AM

In terms of quality I don't think you can go wrong with either Toda or JUN. It seems like JUN had a bad batch of cams in the past. Seems to be ok now. Toda seems to be hard on timing belts, but for piece of mind you purchase the Toda/PE belt.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People have snapped Jun cams.

People (like me) had the cams lock up and shear some teeth on my timing belt....bu-bye motor.

I'm thinking about trying Skunk2's. same kind of power gains as the Jun's.

Oh and Jun's/Sk2's don't lose power mid range....the don't make as much as the Toda's do.

I'll miss that about my car with the Spec B's not even fully tuned. It was fun only having to shift @ 6000-7000rpm. Car had so much power.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BenB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand the differences in the cams...it's more of a quality factor. People talk about camshafts breaking and such, or valvesprings that suck, but I'm really begining to believe that most of it is installer error.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Install error has ALOT to do with cam breakage. I know quite a few people that have had JUN cams for over a year with no issues. I also know people who have half-assed the install of various cams, JUN included, and broke them. All cams break if things aren't just so.
A note on valve springs... I know there are a few people out there that say use these springs for this cam and so forth, however, JUN/Toda etc. make parts for their cams. That is to say that they engineered thier parts to work with other parts purchased by them. I'm not sure what the deal is with using different springs for different cams... just trust your facts.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:51 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (advanracing62)

Here is my two cents on the subject.

Ben I chose to go with Toda because of their reputation for high quality parts. I have numerous Toda goodies at home right now and their quality is top notch. When choosing a cam, you really need to address the issue of usage. What are your plans with the car? Are you just looking to build a car to be a dyno monster or are you looking for real life performance? Both of these cams are great, but requires many more components to get the best out of them. I'm not saying Jun's are of poor quality or to go with Toda. All I'm saying is that you'll have to figure that out on your own. You have to find out what "you" want out of the cams.

When it comes to cams breaking, all I have to say is that not one single part ever created in the aftermarket parts industry has been flawlessly produced. OEM parts are designed with compromise and room for error. Aftermarket parts on the other hand are push the boundaries of what OEM would consider to be a safe zone. So the more you shy away from OEM the higher the risk of part failure. Also, tuning, installation, and general condition of the motor and enviroment along with alot of other factors play a huge role in cam breakage. Some cams break because they were shipped or handled improperly. That's out of control of the manufacturer.

So good luck and happy parts chosing.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (len)

ahhh the toda vs jun question... i got so frustrated over making a decision that i said **** it and decided to leave my valvetrain stock

for now

here is what i have learned after SERIOUS serching on this.... jun springs are engineered wrong, they bind, and should never be used, ever. the toda springs will work well with the toda b/c/d and the jun3 cams, nuff said. portflow retainers seem to be widely recommended. ALWAYS use a toda/pe belt when upgrading cams... you dont want to lose your motor b/c you skimped $150 on a timing belt. the high lift cams will stress the stock belt too much.

BASICALLY jun3 retains oem specs on the non-vtec lobes, but increases the vtec output, better top end.
the toda b will give you better than stock power before vtec, but less than jun3 #'s in vtec and up top...
the toda c's are the best of both worlds, but you will be making valve adjustments all the time and they will be generally tougher on the motor, the jun4's seem to be similar to the c's in priciple.

jun had a bad batch of cams awhile back, apparantly fixed them, but apparantly have gone to **** again as far as quality control, and try getting service from jun usa, you cant, so hope nothing breaks.

so the toda seems to be the obvious choice for me based on the fact that their quailty is widely celebrated and they actually designed their spring properly.
but now i am between the b's and c's, and i dont ******* know, 12.0:1 comp, ANY SUGGESTIONS?!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (euclid)

run rockets cams , his vlavesprings, which are guarranteed for life above 10,000rpm, and his retainers which are guarranteed against wear(galling) for life.
get the M24, which is called their "jun3killer" and go from there.

http://www.ef-1.com/modules.ph...&t=26
Old 06-25-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: How should I spend my money? Jun Stg IIIs vs Toda B's (johnzm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnzm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run rockets cams , his vlavesprings, which are guarranteed for life above 10,000rpm, and his retainers which are guarranteed against wear(galling) for life.
get the M24, which is called their "jun3killer" and go from there.

http://www.ef-1.com/modules.ph...&t=26</TD></TR></TABLE>
how can he gaurantee against galling if they are ti retainers, not flaming just really curious.