Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how should I fix and paint my bumper? ( did search)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how should I fix and paint my bumper? ( did search)

okay here's a pic of my bumper. the black part it the worst of it. it got scraped about 1/16" down. now how should i go about fixing it. can i just san it down with some 400-600 sandpaper, and then put a little body filler in, and sand again.

I have all the paint, even the flex additive for the bumper. just don't want to mess anything up, if i sand it down......

Old 05-08-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (cccya)

my recommendations: new oem bumper. (if you absolutely CANNOT stand that stratch)

if you can and dont really care about that scratch..dont worry about it!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Night_Minx

if you are desperate you can get certa fit bumpers for 60 bucks
Old 05-08-2003, 02:48 PM
poo flinger

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (Night_Minx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Night_Minx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are desperate you can get certa fit bumpers for 60 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

And have fitment problems. OEM is the only way to go. No if, ands' or buts about it.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (kent)

you will have to sand out and feather out the paint around it using 150 grit, then finer up to 500grit. bodyfiller doesnt provide good enough adhesion with plastics, so you will need a putty for plastic repair. sand that down until desired shape and finish it off with 150+grit. Primer it using a quality urethane primer(Never use spray canned paints). Primer it just inside the perimeter of the 500grit sanded area. then wetsand the primer with 400 grit using a block. then you're ready for the paint shop.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (tnbigdawg)

Well i don't want to get a new bumper, just want to fix the old one.
so this urethane primer, does it come in a spray can, or do i have to use the gun as well with it? and does napa sell the plastic repair? thanks for all the help
Old 05-09-2003, 12:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cccya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Well i don't want to get a new bumper, just want to fix the old one.
so this urethane primer, does it come in a spray can, or do i have to use the gun as well with it? and does napa sell the plastic repair? thanks for all the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

this urethane primer will require the use of a spraygun and air compressor.....those spraycans will cause problems when painted over. I picked up a plastic repair kit from my local automotive store (schuck's). Try one of those store chains, they might carry the kit.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Prince of Zamunda

car model filler will do but it's small (the tube)
Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tnbigdawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will have to sand out and feather out the paint around it using 150 grit, then finer up to 500grit. bodyfiller doesnt provide good enough adhesion with plastics, so you will need a putty for plastic repair. sand that down until desired shape and finish it off with 150+grit. Primer it using a quality urethane primer(Never use spray canned paints). Primer it just inside the perimeter of the 500grit sanded area. then wetsand the primer with 400 grit using a block. then you're ready for the paint shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good advice above. To it I would add:

you can fill a deep scratch with 'plastic epoxy' glues that will stick to ABS. they sand out pretty well once they set. Wallmart sells a glue that I have used with sucess. Also, you can finish paint it yourself if you rent a gun and buy matching DuPont paint and clear although the material costs will probably be around $120 so a body shop may charge less. Finally, many body shops will be reluctant to warantee a repair over some 'no name' primer. Just an FYI

Mike
Old 05-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (I can't poop)

certi-fit is actually good. The fitment is great.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I can't poop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And have fitment problems. OEM is the only way to go. No if, ands' or buts about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how should I fix and paint my bumper? (viet)

thasks for all the help. i post pics of the bumper when it's all done.
thanks again