Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Rewire Your Del Sol Aux. Lights (Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Rewire Your Del Sol Aux. Lights (Pics!)

Since I got my car I wanted to be able to keep the aux. lights on when my high beams are on, as well as be able to turn them on with just the parking lights on. So I glanced at the Helms manual and found a super easy solution. I took tons of pics to make this as easy to follow as possible.

Disclaimer: It is indeed illegal in some areas to run your high beams and aux. lights simultaneously and I, nor any other member of Honda-Tech.com takes any responsibility for any tickets, driveability, or legal matters that anyone encounters as a result of this how-to.

With that out of the way, on to the how-to.

First, we need to remove the switches, switch holder panel, and cluster. The cluster doesn't have to be removed I suppose, but it's held in by three screws and gives you a lot more working room so I went that route.

First, remove those two screws, circled above.

Then pull out the switches. These just pull right out fairly easily. You need to disconnect them from the harness and then they can be set aside.

Next the panel that holds the switches comes out. It just pulls out, and may take a bit of force. Once it's out, it'll look like the above pic.

Now remove those three screws. They hold the cluster in.

You need to disconnect the cluster from the harness in four places. There's a little yellow plug, a little blue one, and two larger blue ones. At least there was on my car ('93 S model)

Now we're ready for some quick and easy wiring. Above is the section of harness we'll be working with.

There are two important wires that we'll be working with at this point.

The red/white wire is what allows the switch to turn on the aux. lights. This wire only gives +12 volts when the low beam headlights are on. We'll want to give +12 volts to this wire whenever the parking lights are on, which we'll do in the next few steps.

The red/black wire provides illumination for the "AUX.LT" lettering on the switch. This wire gives +12 volts whenever the parking lights are on. The parking lights are always on when the headlights are on (both low and high beam), so we'll want to use this wire to allow the switch to turn on the aux. lights any time that the parking lights are on.

Basically, you cut the red/white wire (which only gets power when the low beam headlights are on), tape off the harness side of this red/white wire, and splice the switch side of the red/white wire into the red/black wire (which gets power when the parking lights are on).

First I removed some of the insulation on the red/black wire. I did this with a razor blade, which can be tricky until you get the hang of it. If you haven't done this before, I suggest practicing on a piece of spare wire. You can see the exposed gold wire in the photo above.

I then split the strands of my jumper wire in two, wrapped each side around the exposed red/black wire, and then twisted it together.

Then I tightly twisted the jumper wire around the exposed wire.

Next, solder the connection. I suppose you could use T-taps or something if you wanted to, but I recommend soldering.

Now tape up your connection. I use 3M Super 33+ tape and I swear by it.

Next, cut the red/white wire.

Now tape off the harness end of the red/white wire, and solder your jumper wire to the switch end of the red/white wire, as shown.

Now all that's left to do is tape up your connection and put everything back together. And that's it...you're done! Your aux. lights can now be turned on anytime your parking lights are on.

If you've got any questions, feel free to post up.

Modified by Coomer at 5:39 PM 8/7/2007

Modified by Coomer at 7:52 PM 8/7/2007
Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 AM
srg
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for posting this..
BTW, where did you buy these headlights?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: How To: Rewire Your Del Sol Aux. Lights (Coomer)

Very well written and very detailed Coomer.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (srg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for posting this..
BTW, where did you buy these headlights?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem. I modified cheapo eBay headlights and retrofitted a HID projector unit in there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james p. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very well written and very detailed Coomer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great writeup! i needed a how to to do that, now all i need are a pair of aux lights.. lol

also where u get that head and corner set i know ur hid's are retro'd
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this set up on my Sol...but since I had to replace the underdash harness its good to have this again....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually don't like the projectors but the triple black looks nice, do you have any pictures of your whole car i could see?

I have a friend with a nice black del sol that i'm desperately trying to talk him out of painting blue.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k0rupt_ed)

Thanks for the comments guys...glad I can be helpful.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also where u get that head and corner set i know ur hid's are retro'd</TD></TR></TABLE>

The headlights I got off of eBay. They were just the cheapo ones with a black surround. And my corner lights are OEM, painted with two coats of transparent yellow and two coats of transparent black.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I usually don't like the projectors but the triple black looks nice, do you have any pictures of your whole car i could see?

I have a friend with a nice black del sol that i'm desperately trying to talk him out of painting blue.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have any pics of the whole car in its current state...I'm planning on taking some tonight though. It's ugly though...I need to finish my hood.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Coomer)

Don't own a Del Sol, but this is a good writeup. You should PM Syndacate, he'll probably want to put this in the FAQ's for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't own a Del Sol, but this is a good writeup. You should PM Syndacate, he'll probably want to put this in the FAQ's for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good call...he's going to add it when he gets a chance. He also helped me to edit the original post and clear up some of the wording and add a disclaimer. Apparently in some areas it's illegal to drive with both your aux. lights and high beams on due to driving light height-above-ground issues.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 coats of yellow and a coat of black and u get that deep of a amber tone? wow man did not know that. i love them
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up will be doing this tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k0rupt_ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 coats of yellow and a coat of black and u get that deep of a amber tone? wow man did not know that. i love them</TD></TR></TABLE>

They've still got the stock amber piece inside, so that's why they light up amber. In most lighting they just look smoked, and in some light you can see a tint of yellow. I'll take some better pics of them without the parking lights on...I really like the way they turned out.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol so do i man
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So then the switch wont turn the aux's off then?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (honda_racing101)

No, the switch will still turn the aux. lights off. The switch functions as normal, except it allows you to turn on the aux. lights whenever the parking lights are on.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh sweet. Im def doing this asap. Awesome job dude.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

nice writeup and where did you get the jumper wire from? Can i use any type of jumper wire?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Rewire Your Del Sol Aux. Lights (PinoyDelSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PinoyDelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice writeup and where did you get the jumper wire from? Can i use any type of jumper wire?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah

i had this setup on my last del sol

any will work
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job good writeup
Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (ShaggyZ6)

Just finish doing it! Really easy and simple, without splicing my wires! I used quick connectors and those work way better than using a razor blade.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.... you did it the hard way. My aux lights come on when my ignition turns on and I can turn them off at will.

All I did to wire it up was remove the one switch cluster on the left snip the right wire and wire it to the switch side wire to an ignition source. Then I blocked off the other side going under the dash. Done
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bejita)

I just picked up my del sol this week and i was curious how i could turn on the aux lights without turning on the headlights...did a simple search on "aux del sol" and found your thread. took about 10 minutes to complete...WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!

as others have mentioned, aux button retains same functions except the aux lights now turn on with the parking lights on. i like the fact that i can just simply turn on my parking lights and the aux automatically turns on (since i didnt turn off the switch when i turn off the car) :D

BIG UPS TO Coomer FOR THE WRITEUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone added this to FAQ yet? please do

Quick Reply: How To: Rewire Your Del Sol Aux. Lights (Pics!)