Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How replace cracked exhaust manifold on 97 civic lx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How replace cracked exhaust manifold on 97 civic lx?

I think my exhaust manifold is cracked on my 97 civic lx. I live in california. it is stock with about 110k. I have already put money into it such as regular tune ups and synthetic, belts, pulleys, hoses, axles brake pads, etc.
So right now I need to find the cheapest possible working sealed manifold for this car. I am super obsessive about my car running perfectly and maintenance. So anything I can squeeze by with california smog would be help. If anyone has a used one around the bay area let me know, also I am not yet a mechanic so am looking for someone to pay install it. right now its only getting about 22mpg with 2k syn oil changes.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: How replace cracked exhaust manifold on 97 civic lx?

The installation is pretty straightforward, so I recommend that you do the job yourself.

The stock exhaust manifold for your engine (D16Y7) is combined with the catalytic converter, which makes the cost of the replacement part more expensive. Call Honda to see whether your car is covered by the extended emissions warranty. This would make the job free.

Do you see a crack in the manifold or has a mechanic told you it is cracked? Is code P0171 thrown?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Trial User

It idles low, valve noise for a while after startup, runs waaay better in higher rpms, kind of sluggish in low rpms. gets bad gas mileage. I did have a tech tell me that it might be cracked a while ago, but he said just drive it anyway.
i have replaced the 02 sensor, fuel filter, plugs/wires/belts/pulleys, valve adjustment, fuel pump, battery, use premium gas, etc. etc. There are no codes stored. 20mpg? my olds got 32. still have to take off the heat shield and hook it to a smoke machine to make sure. A few months ago it needed a wheel bearing/axle/rotors, so I need to find a cheap part.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^One problem I see. Stop using premium. You are wasting tons of money and putting unused octane into your engine.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the CEL work?

A crack in the exhaust manifold that substantially lowers gas mileage would typically throw code P0171, so I don't think the exhaust manifold is your problem.

How old are the distributor cap and rotor? Have you inspected them. If necessary, replace them and set the ignition timing to spec with a timing gun. Then go from there.

Also, there is no need to run premium gas with your engine. That's just a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Trial User

The cap and rotor are new, I have also done a vaccum test and no leaks.
compression test was almost factory spec. also replaced pcv valve.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about this:

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
set the ignition timing to spec with a timing gun.
And are you using NGK plugs that are properly gapped?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Trial User

yes ngk and my fren who is ASE installed them. I will have him take another look and make sure he did them right also. I have actually replaced the plugs with ngk twice since the last year and a half I have owned it.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Timing?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Trial User

yes, timing was done when the caps/rotors/wires/plugs were installed
Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Trial User

If your 97 civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Thought this was pretty cool too from the document

b. With respect to each Affected Vehicle brought into a Dealer during the period from 75,000 through 150,000 miles of vehicle use, Honda shall instruct and cause its Dealers, at no cost to the vehicle owner: (i) to replace the spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor, using parts of like or similar quality to the OEM parts; (ii) to change the engine oil and engine oil filter; and (iii) to scan the OBD system to identify any emissions-related malfunctions covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty under this Consent Decree. The package of replacements and services provided for in this sub paragraph shall be available only once per Affected Vehicle during the 75,000 through 150,000 mile period of use described above and Honda shall have no obligation to permit Affected
Vehicle owners to have separate components thereof performed or provided during separate service visits.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my 97 hx the dealer gave me a free tune up/oil change, cleaned egr ports, replaced primary 02 sensor and new ecu all under that warranty.

The first time it was that primary 5 wire o2 sensor then then 2nd time it came on I was upset with them for doing the tune up because their diagnostic computer was down so they couldn't check which codes were being thrown so they went ahead and tuned it up anyways and did the oil change then reset the light only to have it come back on in about a week for the egr, I had maybe 10-15k on the plugs, wires, rotor, cap since I did everything with the timing belt.

The 3rd time it came on they told me the ecu was bad and needed to be replaced. When the computer went bad that would've been about the right time for the free tune up.

I dunno if they've included 98+ because the letter I had received was just like the one posted but had just the section where it says 14 years or 150,000 miles and certain model 95,96,97 are included with the recall and doesn't say anything from 98-00.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Trial User

Here's more info:

Victims of dealer fraud, GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!

To all owners of 1995, 1996, and 1997 Hondas except Passport:

1) The EPA - Honda settlement extends 8/80,000 warranty to 14/150,000 per consent decree in 1998.

2) See "Honda Service Bulletin 98-081" for details. Google it.

3) The consent decree and press release can be found at
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...amerhonda.html
"American Honda Motor Company Clean Air Act Settlement" 1998. A link to the consent decree PDF.
See pages 10, 11, and Appendix "B" for details. It also lists the models, parts, and labor covered.

4) It covers fuel tank, fuel system, intake, many, many sensors including o2, exhaust manifold,
catalytic converter, A-pipe (front), gaskets, etc.

5) It also covers a free change of spark plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, oil filter, and oil change plus all labor.

6) The service bulletin lists the hours Honda pays your dealer to do the work.
If your dealer charged you, he/she probably charged you a lot more. Go get your money back!!

7) The service does not need to be done at your dealer, but can be refunded by your Honda dealer.
They will charge Honda corporation. See your warranty manual or Google a copy online.
The manual has several pages on this, especially California.

8) The settlement covers an estimated 1,600,000 vehicles.
If dealers are cheating on even a small percent of these, this is fraud in the 100's of millions of dollars.
I have contacted the EPA and they are investigating.
Honda dealers are going to be in deep do-do if they don't go through their records and start sending out checks to the people they cheated.
This is FEDERAL LAW. The feds can shut them down!!!
The EPA would love the PR from this one. Clean Air, Consumer Fraud, big company abuse, victimizing the poor and middle class...

9) You can look at the part numbers from your receipt and drawings at www.hondapartscheap.com

10) If you get a refund, please share part of it with a charity. I want nothing in return for this advice.
I did my reseach ahead of time, so I got mine covered fully, after hours of research and negotiating with the fraudulent dealer.

Last edited by HondaCivic1997L; 11-25-2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: How replace cracked exhaust manifold on 97 civic lx?

Just read about the class-action lawsuit. Has anyone used this with a dealer in The Bay Area? Does this cover an Civic EX model, or just the DX/LX?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I'm **** outa luck!? My Civic is a '99 & just hit 180k mi
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to revive this thread but is there any bulletin that covers 98 civics? I have the same exact symptoms like the 96 and 97 civics. Hairline crack on the exhaust manifold with P0135 code for O2 sensor. My car is a 98 Civic CX with only 86k miles.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude I had the same problem so i bought an ebay brand for $50 and it came with the exhaust manifold and that 2-1 pipe that connects to the cat. Its really easy to remove the old ones and install the new ones and cheap too. Also it comes with the bung for the o2 sensor so it doesnt throw any CELs.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, thats the route I was planning on taking
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this still available? I just purchased a 97 lx and it has the hairline crack on the exhaust manifold. Do i just bring it to any honda dealer and demand they give me a tune up and replace the mani+cat?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on your mileage and they may also go by the month your car was made so you might be actually past the 14 yrs but only the dealer will be able to answer.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

not for nothing here...but I changed my cracked manifold about a month after it went out of warranty (b/c I didnt know that existed, it was cracked for 3 years, but ran fine so I wanted to save the money) what a moron I was.

Anyhow I replaced mine and noticed that everyone I looked at said, ok for everywhere BUT California. Might want to look into these ebay ones, especially since for $50, mine was 8 x that cost and doesnt work in CA.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kenyon
Sorry to revive this thread but is there any bulletin that covers 98 civics? I have the same exact symptoms like the 96 and 97 civics. Hairline crack on the exhaust manifold with P0135 code for O2 sensor. My car is a 98 Civic CX with only 86k miles.
Thanks
I just checked with my Honda parts man. He says they had issued a bulletin about the cracked exhaust manifold, and were replacing them for cars with less than 80K miles. Mine is a 99 Civic DX with 149K, so I was out of luck. However, he gave me wholesale price on the EM/Cat combo so I will pay less than $500 for the part after I return the old Cat. Made me feel a bit better about spending money at Christmas for car parts
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nrad
I just checked with my Honda parts man. He says they had issued a bulletin about the cracked exhaust manifold, and were replacing them for cars with less than 80K miles. Mine is a 99 Civic DX with 149K, so I was out of luck. However, he gave me wholesale price on the EM/Cat combo so I will pay less than $500 for the part after I return the old Cat. Made me feel a bit better about spending money at Christmas for car parts
I believe the warranty was extended to 150K miles. Quick, call the Honda dealership and tell them your VIN.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I believe the warranty was extended to 150K miles. Quick, call the Honda dealership and tell them your VIN.
I called American Honda Customer Service (1-800-999-1009), and they did a search with my VIN. No such luck. No extended warranty or recall. I am wondering if you might be thinking of the Honda settlement where the EPA took them to court? In that case, Honda agreed to fix 95, 96 and 97 Hondas with emissions problems and give a free tune-up for cars up to 150K miles. Honda was found guilty of disabling some of the sensor readings so the CEL did not come on for bad O2 readings, etc. :-)

Quick Reply: How replace cracked exhaust manifold on 97 civic lx?