Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   how to repair valve cover threads ? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-repair-valve-cover-threads-3323867/)

K-G 07-13-2018 12:54 PM

how to repair valve cover threads ?

hey guys I took my head to a machine shop a while back and had a valve job done & got a broken stud removed out of the head.
However I think they damaged the threads while removing it because I went to put my valve cover on and come to find out There’s no threads in the hole, the bolt won’t even catch, it just sinks straight down.
A heal a coil that fits the bolt won’t go into the head because there’s that little sleeve on the top.
Whats the best way to go about replacing threads/fixes ? I’ve never had to do this before
thanks In advance

K-G 07-13-2018 03:02 PM

Re: how to repair valve cover threads ?

Anybody?

hybridnorth 07-13-2018 04:12 PM

Fill it full of jb weld and then drill and tap? Cold weld?

not really sure, haven't really had that problem

K-G 07-14-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by hybridnorth (Post 51682783)
Fill it full of jb weld and then drill and tap? Cold weld?

not really sure, haven't really had that problem

That’s what my step dad suggested but I was wondering if there’s any other ways besides destroying it and fixing it basically lol.
kinda stumped here because I wanted to get the motor back in but this is holding me up. Ugh

tech8 07-14-2018 12:12 PM

A Time-Sert for repair is a possibility. There are specific repair kits made for various model year Hondas.

K-G 07-15-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by tech8 (Post 51683077)
A Time-Sert for repair is a possibility. There are specific repair kits made for various model year Hondas.

thabka for the reply will check into that. Thankfully it’s the middle bolt I suppose.

h22a4sol 07-18-2018 09:03 AM

That's tough dude. So I've only heard of this once but it's risky since this is a major component to keeping the head and block together tightly.

friend of mine did this and worked for about 2years then sold it so not sure if it worked passed that. Again, risky.

He welded the hole shut completely as solid as he could get it basically like a "fill" and then drilled, tapped and re-threaded it. Again, risky since you never really know how completely filled the hole can be but if you have NO other options, fuck it go for it. I've seen worse try and get done but it's your motor not mine. I'd replace the damn thing with one that threads are good, that's only way you know for sure you'll be good.

h22a4sol 07-18-2018 09:15 AM

Definitely read that wrong. Just put some JB-weld and tap it then thread it. Should be fine.