Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To - Removing your crank pulley

Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To - Removing your crank pulley

Originally Posted by nocturnaldragon
I've seen a bunch of ppl saying how they cant get there crank pulley off of their car, the bolt is stuck dah dah dah dah dah- Well stop whining this is how to get the ***** off once and for all THE RIGHT WAY! not the ghetto way which im guilty of trying and f***ing up my own pulley so here you go.....

Also an Big Powerfull Impact would be easier but not everyone has one at home, so heres how to do it for the rest of us.

Tools Needed.
Harmonic Damper Pulley Holder Snap on Part# Stock YA6010 $65.95
Two Breaker Bars
17mm Socket (I think)
Extension for breaker bar (8ft pipe is my favorite for this application)

Steps needed:
These may vary slightly by vehicle but this is for my car 95 Honda del sol si
(01) First off insert the harmonic dampener holder into the pulley and attach the breaker bar and wedge it into the ground or frame (some place solid!!!)
(02) Stick the 17mm socket with an extension though the plastic shroud in the drivers side wheel well. (I took off the wheal to make it easier and placed the car on jack stands)
(03) Take your long *** piece of pipe onto your extension in a way you can get lots and lots of leverage on it. (counter-clockwise)
(04) Put a little bit of pressure on it and MAKE SURE YOUR OTHER BREAKER BAR WONT MOVE!!!!!!! (If it does on the next step you can get seriously hurt if your not careful!!!)
(05) Take a deep breath
(06) PUSH with all your might on that bar, (counteclockwise) alternate between Pushing on it and just jumping on it for fun and leverage of course but be careful you don’t fall on your *** when it does break free.
(07) When it does come off, RELAX! and have a cold one!
(08) Curse the midget who put the ****er in there!

ITS NOT OVERTORQED! The manual states it should be in with (I cant seem to find it right now most likely cause I don’t car enough to look) but it’s a LOT

Questions feel free to ask! But this should FINALY clear up the issue Thank You Good Bye **** off Good Luck

"Objects in Mirror are losing"

Modified by nocturnaldragon at 12:51 PM 9/5/2005
Originally Posted by Dyzee
114ft/lbs is the torque spec on it. (Off my helms)
Originally Posted by Combustion Contraption
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dopamine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi

I am facing some problems using a breaker bar. I ended up breaking the extension. I am not sure if the crank pulley nut is to be turned clockwise to loosen or counterclockwise. I have browsed a lot of posts and everyone forgets to mention that. It would help a lot. I have a Accord 92 Ex</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know this is a little late, but for everyone else out there, its counter clockwise.
Originally Posted by komat
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know not everyone has a big enough impact in there garage that thing is torqued down to I want to say 400ft/lbs I cant find it in my manual but I remember its a LOT</TD></TR></TABLE>

only 130lb/ft
Originally Posted by Tony_EM1
i just use a 1/2 pry bar with a 19mm socket and a flat head screwdriver on the flywheel... works for me
Originally Posted by LSTEG96
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or my preferred method...

Step 1.) Remove bolt with 3/4" impact gun in 1-2 seconds.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i ACTUALLY tried this today and it didnt work.

it just turned the motor over. in this case, u stop the motor from turning over, use a gear wrench and a long *** mother ****ing breaker bar.
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero

I have that same one, got it off the amazon site for 14 bucks and it works great
Originally Posted by strategy400
Originally Posted by basepin
I used the screwdriver in the flywheel after removing the starter. With an 16 inch 1/2 inch drive breaker bar I managed to sheer off the Crankshaft bolt with less than 300 lbs of force. I would strongly recommend an impact wrench with liberal use of Penetrating oil for a couple days or weeks before the attempt.

basepin
Originally Posted by redrocket
I didn't know about these nut adapters when I had to crack off my Prelude pulley 8 yrs ago. What I ended up doing was buying a 2-inch hex nut from a specialty hardware store, and used a bench grinder to shave 1-2 mm off each of the 6 sides. The nut now fits into the pulley, the 17mm deep socket fits through the nut's threads, and the nut also sticks out far enough for a big-*** crescent wrench to grab it.

To loosen the pulley bolt, wedge the bigass crescent wrench handle against the driveway, put the 17mm + breaker bar onto the bolt, sit down in front of the car, grab the bumper with your hands, and kick/stomp the breaker bar until the bolt pops.

The same 2" shaved nut worked on the D16Z6 when I needed it this year. Great success!
Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
1) Soak the crank pulley bolt overnight in PB Blaster or some equivalent penetrating oil.

2) Remove a spark plug and then fill the cylinder with rope when the piston is at its lowest position. Then use your 24" breaker bar with a 3' metal pipe extender to get the most leverage.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need some advice for removing my crank pulley bolt. Here's what I did:
1) Spray bolt with PB blaster last week. Then tried Kroil yesterday.
2) 1/2" impact wrench @ 125 psi didn't do anything. Compressor won't go any higher.
3) 1/2" breaker bar with 4 feet of metal pipe didn't budge the nut, but it broke my extension.

I have a O/A torch, but I'm a bit worried about using it on the car. Maybe heat the bolt for 30 seconds then try the impact wrench again? Any other advice?

BTW I'd probably just use the Acetylene side of the torch. I'm pretty sure I'd melt the bolt if I turned on the oxygen.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a lot of times these are hard to take off because the get re-installed with an impact, often at a shop that is trying to save a few seconds. DON'T DO THAT. Torque it to spec.

Originally Posted by nate_o
3) 1/2" breaker bar with 4 feet of metal pipe didn't budge the nut, but it broke my extension.

I have a O/A torch, but I'm a bit worried about using it on the car. Maybe heat the bolt for 30 seconds then try the impact wrench again? Any other advice?

BTW I'd probably just use the Acetylene side of the torch. I'm pretty sure I'd melt the bolt if I turned on the oxygen.
Yes, hit it with the ox/ac torch and then the impact or a deep socket and a good (better) breaker bar.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I put the torch on it for 30 seconds, tried the impact again. Nothing. Hit it with the torch again for 60 seconds, tried the breaker bar again. I pushed until I felt it starting to round off, and I stopped.

It's extra annoying because the previous owner installed an aftermarket pulley and it doesn't accept the 50mm pulley tool to hold it.

I'm out of ideas. I guess I'll take it to a shop on Monday and see if they can pop the bolt off for me. Luckily I had the foresight to order a new bolt with my timing belt parts, because the old one is getting pretty chewed up.

Bryan - yeah, I have a 0-150lbs torque wrench so when I finally get this thing off, I can put it back on to spec.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to -Remove your crank pully- (nocturnaldragon)

Originally Posted by komat
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know not everyone has a big enough impact in there garage that thing is torqued down to I want to say 400ft/lbs I cant find it in my manual but I remember its a LOT</TD></TR></TABLE>

only 130lb/ft
All data says 181 ft/lbs