How to Remove Stock Intake on D16y7

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Call me Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove Stock Intake on D16y7

Heya guys,

Kind of a nooby question here.

I've got somewhat of a fluctuating idle so I'm gonna go straight for the IACV. Problem is, I'm having a little trouble getting to it.

In some other DIYs, especially on motors other than the Y7, it seems like the IACV is easier to get to.

In this case, I've taken the top half of this off by removing the four metal clips that hold it in place but I'm having trouble taking the entire thing off from the air filter and below. It's still held on but I don't know by what.

Anyone know how to take this completely off?

Thanks

Last edited by Mr Ohms; 01-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: How to Remove Stock Intake on D16y7

there is a clamp holding it on to the throttle body, unscrew it and it should lift off
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Call me Cheeks

Ahhhh, of course. A bolt in the back.

You da man
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Call me Cheeks

Sooo....

I was able to get the airbox off by removing the clamp.

I unplugged the wire that connects to the iacv. Then I ended up taking off the throttle body so I could have easier access. After unbolting the four bolts that holds the iacv in place to connect to the throttle body, I still couldn't take it off.

Both hoses were also disconnected. For some reason the iacv wouldn't come off. I tried prying it with a flathead. Didn't work.

I had to run into work so I just reassembled everything and hope to take another stab at it later. But now there's a slight ticking noise when the car is running.

Anyone know what could be causing the ticking? The engine wasn't like that until I took it apart today. Any help with taking off the iacv would be great too.

Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Call me Cheeks

Bumpity bump bump bump
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/question-regarding-cleaning-iacv-d16y7-engine-2254464/

It'll come off after the bolts are removed it just needs a little convincing. Try TAPPING it lightly with a hammer or rubber mallet.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Call me Cheeks

SOOOO

Got the IACV off. Cleaned it with engine degreaser (may or may not have something to do with the end result..keep reading ) Cleaned where the IACV mates to the throttle body. Washed it down with water and let it dry.

Reassembled everything.

End result:

HIGH IDLE. Is this normal at first? ALSO. Smoke was coming from the engine bay. After I reassembled everything the first time, I forgot to reconnect the two coolant lines that connect to the IACV. So is it possible that the coolant was the cause of the smoke or was I a complete idiot for using engine degreaser to clean the IACV which caused the smoke? I did rinse everything down and let it air dry.

It was VERY loud. I wish I coulda recorded it for you guys but I was doing this at 8:30 at night so I felt like I was being a complete A hole to my neighbors. They're punks anyway so it's all good

ANYWAY, I have to work on it first thing in the morning. Hoping to get some answers from you guys first.

*sigh* thanks..
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you torque the TB and IACV bolts/nuts to spec? Did you install a new TB gasket?

If so, reset the ECU to see whether any codes pop up and whether the idle and smoke problems persist after driving the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Call me Cheeks

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Dis you torque the TB and IACV bolts/nuts to spec? Did you install a new TB gasket?

If so, reset the ECU to see whether any codes pop up and whether the idle and smoke problems persist after driving the car.
No, no, and uh, no. Just snug and tight

I mean, isn't it possible that the smoke is just from the coolant that spilled from the hoses when they weren't connected, and the high idle because I just cleaned the IACV and need to let it settle?

I have no CEL.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr Ohms
I mean, isn't it possible that the smoke is just from the coolant that spilled from the hoses when they weren't connected
And/or the engine degreaser...hopefully

and the high idle because I just cleaned the IACV and need to let it settle?
Maybe, so do the test I mentioned after you replace the gasket and properly torque the nuts and bolts.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Call me Cheeks

*sigh*

I also had to adjust the throttle cable. I'm pretty sure I did that right, but that could definitely explain the high idle if I adjusted it incorrectly
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had to adjust the throttle cable. I'm pretty sure I did that right, but that could definitely explain the high idle if I adjusted it incorrectly
Yeah, the throttle cable should have some slack in it. If too tight, the idle speed will be high.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Call me Cheeks

If throttle cable is too tight, the throttle would be open, correct? There is some slack on it. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being very tight, I'd give it a 6, maybe 7
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If throttle cable is too tight, the throttle would be open, correct?
Open more than if the cable were adjusted properly.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Call me Cheeks

Well the trottle plate sits leveled so I can pretty much rule the throttle cable being too tight out, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the trottle plate sits leveled so I can pretty much rule the throttle cable being too tight out, right?
Just make sure there's a little bit of slack in the throttle cable - pretty easy to do.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Just make sure there's a little bit of slack in the throttle cable - pretty easy to do.
^This, just double check to make sure it doesn't hurt.

Also Gotta love how this is one of the few guys on here that doesn't act like a complete ******* ******* and treat everyone like your 11 year old stupid *****. I always appreciate someone that is modest and nice on a forum site, kudo's to you bro.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
kudo's to you bro.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Call me Cheeks

Well then, Mr. Smarty Pants. Why don't you do it for me?

Haha, just kidding. I know it is. This is my first time even taking off the throttle body, so I'm a little new at this. It's my first project car so I get really irritated and worried when something goes wrong.

Anyway, I'll take another stab at it in the morning.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then, Mr. Smarty Pants. Why don't you do it for me?

Haha, just kidding. I know it is. This is my first time even taking off the throttle body, so I'm a little new at this. It's my first project car so I get really irritated and worried when something goes wrong.

Anyway, I'll take another stab at it in the morning.

Thanks for the help.
Yeah, same here. It's BEST to ask questions, everyone does. I'm lucky that i have a few friends and cousin's that are HUGE car guys that will help me at any time. I have 3 friends that own shops to. I'm not shy at all to ask a question even if i feel retarded af asking it. I respect and take care of any car on my lot(Even if it's my parents or a friend staying for a week). Go out and buy yourself a honda manual at a dealership(Some carry older manuals for dirt cheap) or download on online. Try and learn as much as you can before asking a question so when you ask a question you sound a little more sophisticated in it. So you know the name of the bolt/wire/nut ect and the measurement of it. It's always fun to take things apart and try putting it back together. You can find engine's at pick-n-pull and junk yards that have a terrible rod knock that you can get for ridiculously cheap, there nice to practice on and learn off of so when you work on your engine it's much easier and safer. Just a thought, good luck on the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Call me Cheeks

Haha, man pretty much everything you said there describes me in one way or another.

I wish I had the same access to guys with a love for Hondas. You'd be surprised. But I don't, and that's why I'm here.

When I first bought my car I had ABSOLUTELY no knowledge of a motor outside of what is generally known of them. Through experience, and of course, HT, I feel like I've come a long way, though. Not too long ago I adjusted my valves. It's pretty easy, I know, but ask me to do them three months ago and I wouldn't know the first place to start.

Anyway, I'm just a measly young kid trying to build the car before I go off to college. Doing it all on my own and I'm proud of it. I never decline any help, though, haha. I'm a stubborn kid and always find the hard way to do things.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, man pretty much everything you said there describes me in one way or another.

I wish I had the same access to guys with a love for Hondas. You'd be surprised. But I don't, and that's why I'm here.

When I first bought my car I had ABSOLUTELY no knowledge of a motor outside of what is generally known of them. Through experience, and of course, HT, I feel like I've come a long way, though. Not too long ago I adjusted my valves. It's pretty easy, I know, but ask me to do them three months ago and I wouldn't know the first place to start.

Anyway, I'm just a measly young kid trying to build the car before I go off to college. Doing it all on my own and I'm proud of it. I never decline any help, though, haha. I'm a stubborn kid and always find the hard way to do things.
Same here it's the small things to be proud of. I did a master cylnder change not to long ago, even though i could have had my dad, neighbor, cousins, friends ANYONE help me i spent like a hour figuring out how to remove it lol then i check the manual to make sure if i had to do anything(Like pump it or something like that i forget lol) and it felt so much better doing it on my own. It's the best way to learn.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use something to scrap the inside of the IAC?

If you score the rotor, it will cause air to bypass...

IAC is super sensitive.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Call me Cheeks

All the scraping I did was clean the mating surfaces with a rag and some Q-tips
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Call me Cheeks

FIXED

Turns out the TB spring wasn't fully tensioned, causing the TB plate to remain open, causing the high RPMS at idle.

There was no longer smoke after letting the car sit overnight, so it was more than likely the coolant burning.

Everything is good now. Took it for a quick spin and she pulls great, (well as great as a stock y7 is gonna pull ). Idles great now too.

Thanks again fellas

Quick Reply: How to Remove Stock Intake on D16y7