Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How-To: Remove all wires NOT needed when installing a K20a2 - 92-95 + wire tuck & more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-To: Remove all wires NOT needed when installing a K20a2 - 92-95 + wire tuck & more...

First off, here is the original build thread: > > HERE!!
Glossary - Over 1,200 pictures and still going... - basically a complete teardown / rebuild of a 95 vx. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet

This thread will eventually be a complete "How-To" on removing all the old D series wiring that is not needed when dropping in a K20a2. I say eventually because I just pulled the cabin harness from the car today and it will take some time before I am finished. I also have plans on relocating the fuse box underneath the dash as well as relocating the kpro'd ECU to a location under the dash. The battery will most likely be relocated to the front pass. side bumper area as well.

Time is not something I have a lot of so it will most likely be sometime in March before this thread is complete.

So, first question I have:

What is the gray plug for? This harness plug is located on the passenger side.
On the gray plug there is a red/black wire that I is connected to one of the engine bay harnesses.

You can see the harnesses under the black metal piece that holds the side of the dash.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, this $hit is getting tricky

The wiring is a big Cluster_F**k:

So, I figured it was time to cut the main wires out from the cluster. The first cut allowed me to remove 3 "D" series ECU plugs & 4 pass. side engine bay harnesses.

I made a 2nd cut which allowed (I believe) a driver side harness to be removed:

None of the above cut harnesses were plugged in with the K20a2 running flawlessly. So, I am thinking they can be removed with no problems, right?

Then I start looking to see where the cut wires run to on the other end to remove. I start with the nice pink/black wire since it stands out.

Getting to the point....the pink/black wire that ran to one of the cut harnesses from above is connected to this harness:

So, then I am curious to what this harness is for and I start browsing my build pics on the pc and find this pic:

Can someone explain how the hell the clutch assembly has been working on a wire that was not even plugged in?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How-To: Remove all wires NOT needed when installing a K20a2 - 92-95 + wire tuck & more... (Fuste

nice.... thanks for giving back
Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-To: Remove all wires NOT needed when installing a K20a2 - 92-95 + wire tuck & more... (Fuste

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice.... thanks for giving back </TD></TR></TABLE>

I try
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, today I started back tracing all the cut wires to where they originate from. One traced back to the harness they plug into, I placed a piece of masking tape on the wire near the harness and also at the end of the wire. It's still a big mess, so the tape at the end of the wire tells me this wire has been traced and find another one to trace.

Need some help identifying a few harnesses:

These 4:

Closer look at the 2 blue ones:
(You can see the 2 wires marked with the masking tape on the upper blue harness. Those 2 wires have been cut. The red/white wire runs to a green harness on the back of the underdash fuse box. I am trying to figure out if I need the red/white wire. I don't see how the 3 wire harness works if 2 of the wires are dead.)

[/
Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bedtime bump
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fuster_Cluck)

i hope these might help a little bit however i would have left the harness in the car then marked up what you do not need then pulled the harness
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Richard...)

Thanks for the pics

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Richard... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i hope these might help a little bit however i would have left the harness in the car then marked up what you do not need then pulled the harness
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did mark the harnesses before removing. You can see the main shock tower has masking tape on it that says, "2 remove".

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Fuster_Cluck)

Top of my head, gray is cornerlights, etc. Brown is AC stuff. The 3P plug is for OBD scanners, if you dont plan on using a scanner you could cut that plug. 2P is connected to the ecu. Keep it if you plan on ever reading codes. If you run Hondata (im sure Kpro has it). You could also go into the computer if the car is acting funny and read the codes.

Once again off the top of my head but i believe thats the plug that connects to your accessories in the back (aka FP, lights, dome, etc.) Once again this one is off the top of my head, i remember i had a big problem with that plug when i did my tuck because i couldnt find where it went, drove me crazy lol.

Also for car starting without clutch switch could be because pervious owner had it wired up like that for an alarm or anything. I dont run a clutch saftey, as long as power goes to the start it starts. I always make sure im in neutral when i start or clutch in of course.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Once again off the top of my head </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input

I did a little searching while having dinner and found the following which should clear the confusion:

I will do some more research this evening and compare these notes with the wiring tomorrow after work....

Thanks to anyone who can provide any input
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK guys back with a little progress, lol.

Since I want this to be a complete "How-To" once I am complete with everything I decided to concentrate on something that is ALWAYS helpful with "How-To's" & "DIY's". ......So, I took some pics, added some text, and posting them below. I will eventually have pics of every harness / plug. I will also be adding text to the pics as to what each harness is, what wires can be removed (for the K20a2 swap), and any other helpful info I can get on there

This is definitely going to slow down my progress. But, it's all about helping each other and if it helps one person I feel it's worth the time and effort

Enough jabber, here are the first batch of pics:

Not the best pics, but I tried

Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a photograph of every harness, relay, fuse, ground on the main cabin harness at this point. I am not going to post all the pics at this time though. I want to get my questions and problems cleared up first. Once everything is done I will be adding all the pics of the harnesses to make it easier for you guys to identify each harness and delete all the wires not needed when doing a K swap.

Anyone know what the red/green wire on this harness is used for?

Closer look:

BTW &gt; The harness with the red/green wire is then one under the dash that is unplugged for the conversion harness to plug into. It's originally next to the brown harness in the clear or white plastic case.

Thanks for any help you can offer