Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to remove 93 Cx stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove 93 Cx stock motor?

I'm looking to remove the stock D15Y? motor this week before my GSR motor comes in. Anyone got a guide to do this? I'm not buying a Helm's for the Cx, but will be picking one up for the GSR motor as soon as I know what year motor I am getting (out of 2 motors).

I'm guessing to drain all the fluids would be the first thing.

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-16-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (Hybrid93Hatch)

1. Break axle nuts loose while car is on ground (32mm)
- Get a huge breaker bar or a heavy duty impact wrench
2. Jack car up, put jackstands under front jack points behind front wheels
3. Remove front wheels
4. Drain fluids; Coolant, oil, and transmission fluid
-use 3/8" ratchet to break the trans bolt loose
-drain coolant last, keep pan under car right under rear mount
5. Remove strut fork (14mm, 17mm socket and 17mm open end wrench)
6. take pin out of castle nut on lower ball joint
7. Remove castle nut part way (17mm)
-need to leave it on part way so it doesn't strip the ball joint when you separate
8. Separate ball joint (BFH, Pickle fork, Ball joint puller, etc.)
-I use a BFH and a pickle fork (don't rip the boots)
9. Remove brake line brackets (10mm)
10. Swing assembly towards the back of the car
11. Remove axles
- Get a big flat head screwdriver and pry (DO NOT PULL) it out where it goes into the transmission (if you have a pickle fork, it works awesome here, too.)
12. Unplug battery, unplug harness at shock tower, take the 2 wires out of the underhood fuse box, unplug harness on the driver's side, grounds, misc vaccuum lines that don't go from engine->engine.
13. Relieve fuel pressure (12mm for valve), take off gas cap
14. Take off fuel line
-put a rag under the filter or fuel rail depending where you remove line, some gas will come out(17mm at filter or rail)
15. Remove coolant lines
-some coolant will come out, that's why the pan is still there under the car (4 lines total I think, vise grips work good for pinch brackets.)
16. get under car and remove header bolts at the b-pipe(12mm)
17. Remove pin for shift linkage and bolt holding shift linkage in(12mm bolt, 8mm pin punch works good, use A/C compressor bolt if not)
-keep hitting....and hitting...and hitting. Eventually it will come out.
-I made a pin punch; long enough so I could hit it with a BFH from the top
18. Remove throttle cable (10mm for the bracket, 12mm for the nuts on line)
-I usually just remove the bracket.
19. Take off Slave cylinder (12mm)
20. Make sure everything is disconnected, all the lines to the fire wall and wires.
21. Get hoist connected to engine
22. hoist it so there is no tension in the chains
23. Remove mounts-I do it in this order: front trans and A/C, driver's side, upper trans, and then rear bracket.
-front trans mount-3 17mm bolts; leave it hanging, you can remove it from chassis later
-upper trans mount- 1 17mm bolt; will come out with engine
-drivers side mount- 1 17mm bolt; will come out with engine
-A/C mount- 4 14mm bolts; leave it hanging, you can remove it from chassis later
-rear mount- 3 17mm bolts and 1 19mm bolt; 19mm bolt is remove from top and left side of engine (look for it, it's there); the 17mm bolts are tough if you don't have a impact wrench. My impact wrench fits in from the top and right side of engine bay under the intake manifold and I can remove them from there (1 connecting to front subframe and 2 holding mount to engine/transmisson). Otherwise, your best bet is probably from underneath. If your doing it from underneath, do this mount first (don't want an engine falling on you. )
24. lift hoist up a little bit, check to make sure everything is disconnected
25. If everything is disconnected, pull it out and set it down. (some coolant will come out, the pan should still be there to catch most of it.)

Might have missed something, not sure.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (madtownhonda)

OH yeah...remove the splash guard, too.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (madtownhonda)

Yeah everything he said..... word.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (EGB18hatch)

Not to be rude, but if you don't even know the first thing about removing your old motor, you have absolutely NO business trying to do a swap.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (89B16HB)

How else do you learn?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to be rude, but if you don't even know the first thing about removing your old motor, you have absolutely NO business trying to do a swap.
Agreed If you honestly can't figure out how to pull this motor, how do you plan to swap in a GSR which is a tighter fighting motor than your CX was and get it in, all vacuum lines in, all wiring done right, and everything put back together and running perfectly? If you don't know what you're doing, I would suggest getting it professionally installed or have a knowledgeable friend come and do the swap for you and give him a case of for helping out.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (b16a ferio)

Agreed If you honestly can't figure out how to pull this motor, how do you plan to swap in a GSR which is a tighter fighting motor than your CX was and get it in, all vacuum lines in, all wiring done right, and everything put back together and running perfectly? If you don't know what you're doing, I would suggest getting it professionally installed or have a knowledgeable friend come and do the swap for you and give him a case of for helping out.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (b16a ferio)

Thanks for the advice above.

I'll have my father helping me as well as a couple friends who said they'll chip in if needed. I'm hoping me and my father can get it done ourselves with the help of the forum and pictures as needed.

The only way to learn is to ask questions, right? I give credit to myself for not wanting to pay some shop and save some $$ / learn. Best of all the experience should be great and I can't imagine the feeling when firing it up after completion

Old 02-16-2003, 09:45 AM

Well if you would have stated that you were going to have help in the first place then we wouldn't have had to go through all of that now would we? But you are right, it is a good feeling once you are done!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Good Luck to you then.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (EF8_Fan)

i must say that if u can't figure out how to pull out the motor u should stick to perfoming swaps on R/C cars...but...with trial and error ,once u get it out you will already have prolly experienced everything that could go wrong , there by learning alot and by the time you, with help, get the other you, young grasshopper, will have expanded your knowledge exponentially. either way, have fun, thats all that matters
Old 02-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (hondadazed)

well your right but since it is a big thing some people just want to make sure they are doing it right

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.php

that is a bad *** how too i followed it and did mine it came out perfect
Old 02-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (slammed_93_hatch)

wrap a large rope around the motor, have a friend come over with a very large pickup, attach other end of rope to pickup, and PULL!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (Civicboy)

You guys all truly make it sound like you need to be a genius to do a swap when in reality you don't. If you truly believe that you need all this special knowledge then I think you should step away from your car and realize you're living and revolving your life around your car way too much.

All it takes is finding where this goes and where that goes. It doesn't require rocket science. I'm sure anyone could do a swap as long as they had the time, proper tools, and patience.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you're an idiot.....how'd you learn how to do all the stuff you know how to do?? TRIAL AND ERROR!!!!

dude just do the swap yourself....it's cake....i did my first swap 7 years ago with no prior auto knowledge....and it cranked up on the first time!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (chad)

you're an idiot.....how'd you learn how to do all the stuff you know how to do?? TRIAL AND ERROR!!!!

dude just do the swap yourself....it's cake....i did my first swap 7 years ago with no prior auto knowledge....and it cranked up on the first time!!!
OK, how do you know how I learned? I first went to school then I watched people and helped them. I never just went out and did anything without first knowing how to do it or researching it. When I work on a car I have never done before, I make sure to have a Helms(or equivalent) manual there for if I get stuck. I applaud this guys efforts for wanting to research first, but I think you should seriously STFU seeing as how you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Before you go making comments like that, maybe you should figure out who you are talking about. I have worked at Honda as a tech and many other places, you don't get those jobs by TRIAL AND ERROR, you get them from knowledge and know how.

[Modified by 89B16HB, 8:50 PM 2/16/2003]

[Modified by 89B16HB, 8:51 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I agree with you guys about learning before swapping

trial and error is not the safest thing to do when you are talking about your life and others life in your hands.

also, a $3500 engine is a pretty expensive way to learn if you do something wrong.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (foozball-26)

I though my idea was better. I do agree that you need some general knowledge to do an engine swap, but grab yourself a Helms manual and read your way there. I know lots of guys who have gained all their Honda knowledge from Helms.

Old 02-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (Civicboy)

Well first things first. Make sure you have all the proper tools. I'm not going to make a list, but its quite extensive. Make sure you have an engine hoist, a good jack, and a good set of jack stands. I also wear mechanics gloves (looks like blue latex) to protect the hands, plus it keeps them clean and are hard to tear.

Buy a GSR helms manual for your car. Removing the CX motor is almost identical to removing a GSR. Just a little easier because its smaller. If you or any of your friends helping you have never worked on any sort of car, i don't recommend doing it yourself. Its not that hard, but you can easily hurt yourself, others, or just break something in general. The hardest part i think you will have is pulling the old motor, and dropping in the new one.

Last advice is have the back mount attached to the engine before you drop it in, all other mounts off. Also angle the motor so when its on the hoist, the transmission side is lower then the crank pulley side.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, how do you know how I learned? I first went to school then I watched people and helped them. I never just went out and did anything without first knowing how to do it or researching it. When I work on a car I have never done before, I make sure to have a Helms(or equivalent) manual there for if I get stuck. I applaud this guys efforts for wanting to research first, but I think you should seriously STFU seeing as how you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Before you go making comments like that, maybe you should figure out who you are talking about. I have worked at Honda as a tech and many other places, you don't get those jobs by TRIAL AND ERROR, you get them from knowledge and know how.

[Modified by 89B16HB, 8:50 PM 2/16/2003]

[Modified by 89B16HB, 8:51 PM 2/16/2003]

isn't learning and knowledge aquisition of a particular skill?? hmmm....so you had to watch someone and read some books and go to school?? THAT IS TRIAL AND ERROR!!!!!!
maybe trial without error....

yes you should have a helms or chiltons although not as good....yes you should read up on what you are doing ie RESEARCH which this guy is obviously doing, it really a simple process if you take the right steps!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 02:01 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (chad)

isn't learning and knowledge aquisition of a particular skill?? hmmm....so you had to watch someone and read some books and go to school?? THAT IS TRIAL AND ERROR!!!!!!
maybe trial without error....

yes you should have a helms or chiltons although not as good....yes you should read up on what you are doing ie RESEARCH which this guy is obviously doing, it really a simple process if you take the right steps!!!
You are right.......trial without error. I make sure that when I set out to do something, I don't **** up or worse, have to finally go out and pay someone else to fix my mistake. I'm sorry but you can't win this arguement!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what? He wants to learn how to do a swap. Kudos to him. And A big ol' **** off to you. In case you didn't know this site was inteneded for just that: To teach novices how to work on their cars, not to flame someone for trying. I swear, it seems like everytime someone tries to honestly learn on this site they get flamed for it.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:07 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (EF9_SiR)

damn why's everyone gotta get riled up over this? some people learn themselves thru trial and error and experience, some people watch others and are taught. big ******* deal. whatever gets the job done is fine. i think its cool this guy is willing to undertake such a project on his own. obviously he is patient and willing to learn and for that alone i give him props. no need to start flaming on each other in his post. i doubt this guy gives a **** what you think about anyone else on this board.

and this bullshit about trial and error vs whatever. what do you think the very first people who decided to take a risk and try all this **** out did? they read up on as much as they could learn and they TRIED it. don't hold what you learned on some holy grail and talk **** about the process that started it all. i think this guy is doin the right thing. no matter what happens he will learn a great deal and be better off in the future. so let him learn what he needs to learn and get his **** done.

good luck with your ride man

[Modified by Pengo, 8:08 AM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Re: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor? (Pengo)

I'm not flaming this guy for trying to learn, I am flaming the guy that originally talked **** to me. Like I said in an earlier post, I applaud this guy for trying to learn. I'm not the smartest thing that walked the earth either, and I ask questions on here too just like everyone else, but I was just remarking in my first post that if he doesn't have the mechanical know-how to possibly remove a motor, then I think he shouldn't try a swap without help. Once I found out he was going to have help, I was all for it. How about reading the ENTIRE thread before making accusations and judging others. Thanks for the shitty day so far guys! (Insert middle finger pic here!)

Quick Reply: How to remove 93 Cx stock motor?