Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

? How to Recondition Weather Seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 ? How to Recondition Weather Seals

I was looking around in hopes of finding information on how to recondition my weather seals on my Del Sol. I have no leaks yet, but was hoping to perform some preventative maintenance for the potential future failures.

I have found this thread, which mentions a silicon spray, but he is trying to prevent a leak; not recondition a good seal. (it also doesn't mention brand or any other info on the spray lube)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ther+stripping

Essentially, I am looking for suggestions such as what solvents/waxes/re-conditioning agents to use, best methods, etc.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ? How to Recondition Weather Seals

buy new ones it will save u alot of time
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1badascivic
buy new ones it will save u alot of time
I am willing to spend the time instead of the $$. Like I said earlier, they seal fine right now, just want to do preventative maintenance for years down the road.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you something I heard from a guy one time, I don't know how true it is and I have never tried it as I don't have any water leaking problems. So you can try it and see but I have no clue if it actually works or if it is just a myth.

This guys name is Doug, He said you can take Vasoline and smear it all over your weatherstrips and then shut the door for a few hours and weatherstrip will sweal up and re-seal.

Again I say I don't know how true or false this is as I have never done it.

What I "DO" know is I hate vasoline, reason being I played a prank on my older bro when I was young and took a glove and SMEARED vasoline all over his doorknob to his bedroom, he came home and went to open his door and got a handful of vasoline, he then came into my room as I was sleeping and rubbed it all over my face...I found out that **** is almost impossible to wash off.

Ok that was off topic but I think its funny looking back on it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do not use vasoline on rubber.. u do it kiss ur weatherstrips good by.. rubber will swell up and becomes very soft and mushy, and will tear easier than tissue paper. just think of how many times u open and close ur door, ull end up bying new ones... check out the company inline 4. they have a product from honda of japan that is for the weather seals. its a honda product so dont trip..
Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks guys

I figured the reconditioning agent should be more 'oil-based' than standard vaseline typically is. I checked inlinefour.com and found a "honda care kit" but still haven't seen anything specifically for weather seals although it probably would work fine.

http://www.inlinefour.com/hocarcakit.html

If anyone else has something to add, please do. I am open for any cost-effective suggestions.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used wd-40 before. Although I sold the car before winter, and it was more for the look then to re-seal. I'll be keeping up though. Good topic!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally found something of use (not from HT). I don't know where to get these agents yet though.

Last time we talked about washing your car. This month I would like to discuss how to keep your rubber parts looking fresh.

Every car I have ever owned has needed a little TLC, from time to time, on the rubber stripping both inside and outside. You know the look; light gray, maybe some water spots or a powdery look etc.. The California sun and water can be treacherous for rubber. Washing the car again won’t remedy the problem. Recently, purchased a new car and already I have those wonderful little telltale signs on my rubber window stripping.
There are a few ways to get rid of these and I will tell you some pro’s and con’s. Now these are products I have tried and either kept or threw away. There may be some of you out there who have had luck with a certain brand or product, write us and let us know what you experience has been. It is all personal preference!

Vaseline – A BIG No-No! First of all this is a petroleum product and will do the opposite of what you are try to achieve. It dries out the rubber over time! On top of that it is slick looking and gets all over the place.

Armour All – This product’s has had some controversy for a while now. Some people swear by it and others tell tales of woe. Personally, I do not use it. On your rubber it will give a shinny slick look, unless you put it on and then wipe it off. It doesn’t last very long either, your first wash you’ll see a discoloration on the rubber. Some light gray spots etc., so you have to use the product again to get rid of them – hopefully.

Black Wax – I do not think this product is available any longer. I used to use this on the bumpers and tires. It was too difficult to use on rubber stripping, as you had to rub it off just like wax. It would just be my luck I would be rubbing off the wax on the stripping and take half the stripping off because I got into my work too much.

Black Chrome – This is my current product of choice. It gives the rubber a satin look and does not come off with the first washing. It is also a wax base, so it protects the rubber from the elements. I have also used it on the rubber bumpers (the hard rubber on the older 911’s) with some success, but I use another product on those now. I have also used it on the gray plastic you find in the older 911 & 912’s. It will bring life to the plastic without giving it that slick phony look.

Pledge – You can close your mouth now. Many of us in the Concours circle use Pledge, but not for rubber stripping. Remember those funky rubber bumpers I mentioned above? Well Pledge does a great job on those, as well as the seats (not leather) in the car.

Meguiars Rubber Conditioner – I have had some success with this product, but before a show I always go back to the tried and true Black Chrome.

Now the rubber stripping is not a large area, so apply the product of choice with a Q Tip. You do not have to rub it in hard, just apply the product and then go over it again with a rag or another Q Tip. A word of caution, do not use the Q Tips with the wooden sticks, just one slip and you could tear your rubber and you will be very unhappy if you do that.

A word of caution for you Targa owners, for the cloth covered side of the Targa there is another product that will do the trick. Do not use any of these on the cloth, it will not look good. Go to a Crafts shop and get a charcoal gray or black fabric paint. I know this sounds crazy, but another Concours person gave me this tip years ago and it works. Mix the fabric paint rather thin and dab it on with a sponge. As with anything, first do a test in a less visible area. The fabric paint work s great! Don’t get the metallic black fabric paint though, unless you need a little sparkle in your life.

How often do you apply the product of choice? This depends on how often your automobile is in the elements. The 911 lives in the garage and I apply the Black Chrome every third show or so. The new car lives outside, so I apply the BC once a month.

Bev Frohm
bev@pelicanparts.com
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...s_corner-2.htm
Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
do not use vasoline on rubber.. u do it kiss ur weatherstrips good by.. rubber will swell up and becomes very soft and mushy, and will tear easier than tissue paper. just think of how many times u open and close ur door, ull end up bying new ones... check out the company inline 4. they have a product from honda of japan that is for the weather seals. its a honda product so dont trip..
Originally Posted by Simkin314
Hey, thanks guys

I figured the reconditioning agent should be more 'oil-based' than standard vaseline typically is. I checked inlinefour.com and found a "honda care kit" but still haven't seen anything specifically for weather seals although it probably would work fine.

http://www.inlinefour.com/hocarcakit.html

If anyone else has something to add, please do. I am open for any cost-effective suggestions.

As I stated in my reply, a guy I used to work with told me that one day during a general conversation and I stated it was just what I heard and that I had no experience with it.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
As I stated in my reply, a guy I used to work with told me that one day during a general conversation and I stated it was just what I heard and that I had no experience with it.
Sorry man, I didn't mean to say otherwise. I understood and still appreciate your input nevertheless (i.e. I wouldn't have learned as much without it). I'm just hoping more people can pop in and give other views, experiences and the like.

Philosophy of the day: Even unfounded statements help bring light to a subject simply because of the research required to validate the statement itself.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Simkin314
Sorry man, I didn't mean to say otherwise. I understood and still appreciate your input nevertheless (i.e. I wouldn't have learned as much without it). I'm just hoping more people can pop in and give other views, experiences and the like.

Philosophy of the day: Even unfounded statements help bring light to a subject simply because of the research required to validate the statement itself.

No need for an apology, I was just re-stating that in my first reply I was just "releasing the idea" that a guy once told me but that I had no experiance with it. Its all good
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coming from someone who works as an automotive technician - don't use Vaseline or WD-40. WD-40 will just plain eat the rubber whereas Vaseline will make it swell and fail. I always use silicone spray to recondition my weatherstrips. Honda actually makes their own silicone spray that works very well. Also, I've used Mother's Back to Black, which is most likely the same thing as the Black Chrome listed above.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda uses the shin-etsu grease which they sell and is pretty expensive for a little tube. You can also use pure silicone spray just make sure it is almost pure silicone(no petroleum). Petroleum based is a big no no with rubber bushings and seals, it makes them sweat and swell and eventually fail.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just scrub them with water and a rag and u'll be good take your time and if anything pm me ur email adress (as i dont have a photo format to post up pics)and i will show you how my 1993 Sols roof weather seals look like after i removed them from the car and paciently but effectively made the look good as new. All u'll be spending is elbow grease and my car has 238,*** miles w/ original seals and u;ll be amazed
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and hey who is this TICO guy 4rm walnut as i got to cypress college and am also attending their T-TEN program say wasup man everyone knows me 4rm school im the one with two SOLS!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X2 on the shin-etsu grease
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X2 on the shin-etsu grease
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I used to attend cypress college. Now i'm at uti. The two sols? What color are they
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one was my project since h.s and its now all completely pearl red (blaze red crystal pearl to be exact) and i just bought my new one but names Junnior and i've been going there since summer of 07?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks guys, this is great info. Can anyone post the best place / cheapest place to pick up silicone spray (and good brands) or shin-etsu grease? How much shin-etsu is necessary to use on all the miscellaneous seals on a Sol?

I need to do an overall cleaning anyway because the previous owner had a sh*tty paint-job done (so I need to clear off the excess paint on the seals as well), although I still would like to do a material reconditioning as well.

EDIT: removed shin-etsu grease G-751 because it was incorrect application

Last edited by Simkin314; 12-01-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE THAN SHIN-ETSU GREASE! You can buy it for $13 here, just scroll down and you will see it. First wipe clean the seals with a moist microfiber towel and let it dry, then use a small amount of the lube and spread it over the seals. After applying it shut all doors, close all windows, and put targa back up for eight hours. I do it about every month.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what up junior, i remember u i used to drive a blue EF on GSr FAT 5S.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use die electric grease which is essentially pure silicone grease. Some people use pure silicone spray to clean and die electric grease to condition. In any case pure silicone is what you want. You can buy die electric grease at Autozone. You also use it to water/corrosion proof electrical/battery connections. My squeaky Del Sol seals quiet right down after a treatment.

Do not use petroleum based products...
Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just attempting to make a summary list of suggestions...

Dielectric grease, $8.50
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=213465

Honda Shin-etsu Grease, $18.75 ($12.50 ebay)
http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/...Grease,/Detail

Meguiars #40, $12
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Vinyl.../dp/B00079LW2E

Elbow Grease, $0

Petroleum products => future value = current value - seal repair cost$$

Mothers Back to Black 06108, $6
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOT-06108

Armour All

Black Chrome
Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Trial User

Just wanted to chime in since I took the board advice. I used the Diaelectric Grease on a rear window gasket for my little pickup.

1. Soaked and scrubbed the gasket clean with soapy water
2. Coated the entire gasket with the diaelectric grease
3. Placed the gasket into a plastic garbage bag for a few weeks
4. Just had the gasket installed and it looks like a brand new gasket!

Thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: ? How to Recondition Weather Seals