Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to quickly get vtec after turns

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to quickly get vtec after turns

I'm a noob to vtec however it seems to me unless you are in gear 2 it's always going to be hard getting vtec in gear 3 without long roads and less traffic.

What I meam to say is let's say you are taking a turn in gear 3, on coming out of the turn because you are in gear 3 it will take time for the rpms to go up so you can hit vtec again so not easy to do safely without a long road and less traffic. On the other hand if you are in gear 2 on coming out of the turn it will be quicker to increase rpms and get vtec Does that mean if you are in gear 3 and you really want vtec sooner, you would have to slow down, change to gear 2 and rev up until vtec kicks in? Is that what you guys are dong or am I missing something?

Do you guys take wide (as in big non sharp) corners in gear 2 so you can come out in vtec? It feels like the car wants you to take non sharp corners at gears 3 and big roundabouts at above etc going in gear 2 doesnt handle aswell. So what are you guys doing.

As far asI'm aware, the whole point of vtec is meant to be that you get the power when you want it, however imagine your racing someone, in order to stay in vtec you have to take corners at gear 2 because if you're in 3 its gonna be a while to get vtec again therefore you can't get the power when you want.

like i say im a noob but please advise how you guys take corners and how one would take the corner while trying to get vtec on coming out. What are the compromises?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: How to quickly get vtec after turns

depending on motor and ecu, depends on rpm and couple other factors when vtec engages
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
depending on motor and ecu, depends on rpm and couple other factors when vtec engages
i know that, but my point is how are you going to quickly get it to 5500 rpm when you have been taking a turn in 4th or 5th gear? Or are you meant to avoid going into higher gears and stay on 2?

thanks
Old 08-04-2018, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by taakuumii!!
i know that, but my point is how are you going to quickly get it to 5500 rpm when you have been taking a turn in 4th or 5th gear? Or are you meant to avoid going into higher gears and stay on 2?

thanks
this might be a dump question, but why would you need vtec in 4th or 5th gear? The whole purpose behind vtec was to have extra passing power yet still keep great fuel mileage. To get vtec to kick in in 4th gear I would be well over 100mph at that point. If you need more power, add a turbo of do a swap
Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can always buy a vtec controller to get vtec at demand..

but it wont be the same impact if you triggger it in lower rev area

greets
Old 08-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

You are not understanding what VTEC does, it is not like a high power mode that you switch into when you want to go fast. VTEC is used to make torque only at high RPM. Below a certain point VTEC will make less torque than the primary cam (i.e. out of VTEC).
So in your example, youre in 3rd gear at an RPM below where VTEC is set to engage, you are making more torque out of VTEC then you would if VTEC was on. But if you stayed in a lower gear you would be in VTEC and be accelerating faster but this would be because youre in a lower gear, not because youre in VTEC.

Now I think Ive typed VTEC more times I should in one day. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

LOL, please learn why vtec kicks on at the current rpm and what occurs when you do something outside of what the oem ecu was meant to operate.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i've been misunderstanding it, like i said i'm a noob. Yeah I thought you could choose to drive economically or go into a high power mode where you eat the road/track up.
When vtec kicks in It sure makes you feel like you're in a race car.

So are you guys telling me all I should really expect out of it is to get overtaking power from moving off and in second gear which goes to a about 54mph or so?
I know you can also keep it on providing you're redline upshifting e.g gear 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 but you'll already be doing motorwayspeeds or drag strip speeds at gear 3 so in traffic or twisty roads the vtec will fall out.

Am I also right in thinking if you're coming out of corners in gear 3 or above you should not expect to vtec again but if you're in 1-2 then obviously you can regain it.

When driving a low rpms and high gear it feels horrible. Am I right in thinking if you were doing a track day with a stock integra or civic type r they too will not b staying in vtec for long just like me and so they race with the power from their engines rather than because vtec keeps kicking in?

Let me know if I' understood the practical side of it right.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2018, 10:48 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Stop worrying about whether the engine is in VTEC. It doesn’t matter, and is not something that you are supposed to even be cognizant of. It is there to help the engine make the most power possible no matter what rpm you are at.

Just drive the damn car.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Fish Twig

I never needed vtec coming out of a corner....
Old 08-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

When youre driving on the track you will typically always been in as low of a gear as possible. You rev every gear until redline before upshifting. Sometimes you even stay in a gear and hit the rev limit for a moment if you are close to a braking zone, that way you dont have to upshift only to downshift a moment later. When racing you will often be in VTEC almost all the time.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a catch can and put an out line to your VTEC solenoid. VTEC will crack.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Full_Tilt
When youre driving on the track you will typically always been in as low of a gear as possible. You rev every gear until redline before upshifting. Sometimes you even stay in a gear and hit the rev limit for a moment if you are close to a braking zone, that way you dont have to upshift only to downshift a moment later. When racing you will often be in VTEC almost all the time.
How would this work in practice? Lets say you come out of a corner in gear 2 and you are on a straight, obviously you will rev 2 into vtec then upshift vtec into 3 then 4(you need higher gears because you want to go faster), suddenly car pulls in front of you, you brake rpms drop(you are out of vtec) but rpms are still too high to downshift to gear 2, so you go to 3, find a gap and you start accelerating again but now that you are in 3 it will take forever to get back into vtec, so in this case would you brake more and slow the car down loosing time so you can downshift to 2 and easier get vtec to come on or do you continue to race slowly\at low rpm((where this car sucks)?

Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 AM
Fish Twig

So we do imaginary practice runs in our heads now and call it experience?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:53 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Dido1982x
you can always buy a vtec controller to get vtec at demand..

but it wont be the same impact if you triggger it in lower rev area

greets
Good luck getting oil pressure with that, noob
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if the OP even owns a car.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Fish Twig

nah, just another trolling account.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, I'm thinking taakuumii!! should get the straight-man comedy routine of the week award.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So we do imaginary practice runs in our heads now and call it experience?
What the hell, who was claiming that? Whenever you drive you decide what to do from your brain or whatever happens in front of you you process with your brain and react accordingly. Why dont you just answer the specific question in a practical way, without all the non constructive retorts.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your civic is slow, go ahead and accept that. It is not a great daily driver. It sounds like you should have bought something with more low end to better suit your needs. I don't think most of us see the need to drive this aggressive on the street or we have a second vehicle with better low end power for daily driving.

With that being said, I'll answer your question...read up on racing techniques like heel/toe, rev matching etc...to achieve your goals.

Last edited by S2k@9K; 08-10-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Fish Twig

sayin....
Old 08-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by taakuumii!!
What the hell, who was claiming that? Whenever you drive you decide what to do from your brain or whatever happens in front of you you process with your brain and react accordingly. Why dont you just answer the specific question in a practical way, without all the non constructive retorts.
What folks are trying to say is get yourself educated before coming back and asking more really stupid questions. Step 1, query VTEC on Wikipedia, they actually have a very nice writeup on Honda's system. Once you've read that, and UNDERSTOOD the material presented, then we'll be able to have an intelligent conversation with you.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2k@9K
Your civic is slow, go ahead and accept that. It is not a great daily driver.... I don't think most of us see the need to drive this aggressive on the street or we have a second vehicle with better low end power for daily driving.
So what did you buy it for and what is it good for? Just wondering. If you can drive it aggressively on track you should be able to do that on street too(not that i'm saying you should be doing that on street).

Old 08-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shipo
What folks are trying to say is get yourself educated before coming back and asking more really stupid questions. Step 1, query VTEC on Wikipedia, they actually have a very nice writeup on Honda's system. Once you've read that, and UNDERSTOOD the material presented, then we'll be able to have an intelligent conversation with you.
This is just an internet forum, not MIT, I don't see that I need to read and understand all that before I post here. I said I was a noob and asked beginner questions, I am not claiming to know about this topic to the extent I can have a technical conversation about it, just asked a question if you don't want to answer the specific question then don't.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Fish Twig

ROFLMAO, LOL!!! I was gonna respond with "go ahead, stay in 1st gear at every corner" but I rather laugh my *** off.

Quick Reply: How to quickly get vtec after turns