Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ?

I read a post here, that says i need to hold the "Valet" button the whole time to program the remote.

But when i bought the car, it has a after market CD player. there is no button b/w the AM-FM and CD button.

so, what could i do ??

Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Re: How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ? (jshooter)

If your trying to program a Honda factory remote you will need to figure out if the factory radio has been stuffed down into the dash below the aftermarket radio and left plugged in. If the factory radio has been completely removed from the car then a Factory remote won't work.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ? (jshooter)

is it the stock remote? if it is then the stock radio needs to be hooked up to just the power or accesory idr which one. if its there its probably tucked behind where your 12v outlet is.. if its not your SOL
Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
New User

Default Re: How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ? (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

huh...

Since it only comes with one factory remote.

Me and my girl share the car, that why i want to have one more, so that we dont have to switch the remote to the others key chain all the time.

I guess Maybe you guys are right about the OEM radio being hide behind the 12v outlet.

And by the way, the 12v outlet doesn't work, is that because of the OEM radio?
sorry if i sound stupid, im a newbie, this 96 civic is our first car.

I will check it out tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
New User

i just went down and check it out.
I took the screws out above the 12v outlet.
It does not loose it.
So i keep on take off screws that i see.
until i see there are screws inside of the lockable box, that i can't get out.

Could some one tell me how to access behind the 12v outlet ?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jshooter)

its kind of a pain. you have to take off all three panels. under the steering wheel, around the 12v and by the glove box.. it could be the 12v just isnt pulgged in. youll have to look
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Re: (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

96-00 civics the keyless entry module is built into the factory radio. If its not there, your fobs wont work unless you put the radio back in.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King V)

If you have one remote that works liek you say you do then your factory radio is hidden inside the car somewhere. Most likely it is behind your 12v plug like everyone else said.

You have to remove the two screws from the bottom of the panel under the steering column. It's been a while since I did a 96-98 civic but there may be one extra screw by the change pocket (to the left of your steering wheel) that needs to be removed. That panel will pop off now.

Next you have to open your clove box and push both top back corners toward the middle and open the glove box till it can fold all the way down.

Then remove two screws on each side of the middle (12v plug panel) panel and the two at the top that it sounds like you already removed.

Then that part should finally come loose. You should see a radio just chillin back there.

BUT you shouldn't even need to find your radio. Hopefully you haven't tried already. Just keep that info in your mind in case you DO ever need to find the factory radio.

NOW to program the remote all you have to do is get in your car. Leave the drivers door open. Turn your key on and hit the lock button on the new remote. Now turn the key off and repeat till you hear the door locks work. Then once you have them locking just hit lock and unlock and it should start working.

Hope that helps and let me know if it didn't
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
New User

i just went down and check it out.
I took the screws out above the 12v outlet.
It does not loose it.
So i keep on take off screws that i see.
until i see there are screws inside of the lockable box, that i can't get out.

Could some one tell me how to access behind the 12v outlet ?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FV-QR

http://www.installdr.com should have directions on removing enough panels to install a radio.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

I just gave you step by step directions. If the lockable box you are referring to is the glove box you have to push both sides in till you can pull the box down further and it will flip all the way down so you can get to the screws.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (lsvtecturbosol)

Oh and also you DON"T NEED to take it apart to program a remote.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (King V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96-00 civics the keyless entry module is built into the factory radio. If its not there, your fobs wont work unless you put the radio back in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think thats right. my 99 si I removed the radio and it only had wires for the radio and speakers, I put a new radio in and the keyless works fine. You must be mistaken
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Re: (Crx Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96-00 civics the keyless entry module is built into the factory radio. If its not there, your fobs wont work unless you put the radio back in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The 96-98 Civic's keyless entry module is located in the radio. 99-2000 aren't so you do not have to keep the radio in them.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtecturbosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and also you DON"T NEED to take it apart to program a remote.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why would you say that now?

We already cleared that he has to (and why) remove parts of the dash to get to the stock radio, if it's there.

He doesn't need to take the radio itself apart, though in order to fit it behind the dash it might not have the front of the radio anymore, which means it won't be able to be reprogrammed.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crx Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think thats right. my 99 si I removed the radio and it only had wires for the radio and speakers, I put a new radio in and the keyless works fine. You must be mistaken </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRITTERMATT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 96-98 Civic's keyless entry module is located in the radio. 99-2000 aren't so you do not have to keep the radio in them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He and I had a disagreement about this in another thread. He misread his manual and thought it was referring to all 6th gens, not just '96-'98s. He's also now not sure why his keyless stopped working when he installed an aftermarket radio into his '99, so if anyone knows, let him know.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok you are NOT listening to me. I Know that the 96-98 keyless module is built into the radio. What you are not hearing is that you DO NOT NEED TO GET TO THE RADIO TO PROGRAM A NEW KEYFOB! Why does he need to get to the radio? So he can see that it is there?? He already had a keyless remote before AND IT WORKED which means YES the radio is somewhere in the car. That is a given. Now he just needs to program a new remote to the existing system CORRECT? Then he doesn't need to pull his dash apart.

All he needs to do is turn the key to his car to the ON position and hit the lock button on the new remote and continue that process till the doors lock. Should only take two to three times.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtecturbosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok you are NOT listening to me. I Know that the 96-98 keyless module is built into the radio. What you are not hearing is that you DO NOT NEED TO GET TO THE RADIO TO PROGRAM A NEW KEYFOB! Why does he need to get to the radio? So he can see that it is there?? He already had a keyless remote before AND IT WORKED which means YES the radio is somewhere in the car. That is a given. Now he just needs to program a new remote to the existing system CORRECT? Then he doesn't need to pull his dash apart.

All he needs to do is turn the key to his car to the ON position and hit the lock button on the new remote and continue that process till the doors lock. Should only take two to three times. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What you are not understanding is YOU ARE WRONG.

I OWN one of these cars that until recently had this radio and working keyless. I have done this before.

According to Honda's directions, you need to get to the front of the stock radio so you can hold the "valet" button so you can reprogram the remotes.

So yes, you DO need to get to the radio.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok fine think what you want. I owned one of those too. Green Ex with an aftermarket radio and personally programmed 3 remotes to mine. I also worked for Circuit City since 2001 and now work at Best Buy and have programmed countless remotes for that year civic. NEVER once have I had to hit that button on the radio and it has always worked for me. SO in turn that button is honda's BS way of making you feel safe that you have to hit it.

But hey think what you want and don't try it.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtecturbosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok fine think what you want. I owned one of those too. Green Ex with an aftermarket radio and personally programmed 3 remotes to mine. I also worked for Circuit City since 2001 and now work at Best Buy and have programmed countless remotes for that year civic. NEVER once have I had to hit that button on the radio and it has always worked for me. SO in turn that button is honda's BS way of making you feel safe that you have to hit it.

But hey think what you want and don't try it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
That is from AllData. The same instructions are in the factory service manual. I believe they're also in the owner's manual.

The point is, it's in the manual Honda uses in their shops. Now, I don't think they need to make anyone "feel safe" about the keyless (which is not an alarm), much less their technicians.

But whatever. Sounds like you're set in your way of wanting to be right even though the evidence is against you.

I suggest you are thinking of another car you reprogrammed. But what do I or Honda know? You work at Circuit City.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But what do I or Honda know? You work at Circuit City. </TD></TR></TABLE>
BAHAHAHAHA

Nice
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (andoxviii)

But what do I or Honda know? You work at Circuit City. <U></U>

LMFAO!!! WORD TA BIG BIRD!!! just because you can plug adapters together and put shitty mount kits together does not make you smarter than a company that spent millions and millions of dollars in research, development, and publishing for that matter!!! my grandma installs stereos at circuit city bruh!!! cmon now!! <U></U> ive checked it myself and am 100% sure you need the factory radio!!!!! NO IF ANDS OR BUTS!!!! I DONT CARE IF YOU PROGRAMMED 10 PHOBES TO YOUR CAR!!!! THE RADIO WAS IN THERE SOMEWHERE!!!!!!! ive done did the mod to my 98 ej8 and used the factory radio, made a jumper harness and mounted it under my pass seat.... and it works lovely.. easy as hell to reprogram if i need more phobes..

Modified by wrenchez81 at 7:04 PM 10/23/2008
Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Re: FV-QR (wrenchez81)

Well since the op is having problems getting his dash apart it would be a good chance for him to try and program the factory remote without accessing the factory radio. Then he could let everyone know if it works or not. Go ahead and bash on the guy for working at a retail chain- I assume that he is an installer, but chances are people on this board who are "all hardcore diyers" have paid him money to work on their cars. Motor Alldata is great but the Bible it isn't, or whatever you people worship.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: FV-QR (gmcawd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gmcawd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well since the op is having problems getting his dash apart it would be a good chance for him to try and program the factory remote without accessing the factory radio. Then he could let everyone know if it works or not. Go ahead and bash on the guy for working at a retail chain- I assume that he is an installer, but chances are people on this board who are "all hardcore diyers" have paid him money to work on their cars. Motor Alldata is great but the Bible it isn't, or whatever you people worship.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Let's not bring up the bible (or anything else). It's a bad comparison for some of us.

The OP is going to have to access the radio. The one keyless I have ever had to repeatedly program is my '98 (and before that, my '97) EX keyless. I haven't diluted my memory with any other vehicles.

I've never had to bring my car to any retail chain to have them install anything. Let's see... things I've had others do for my car: Honda did a warranty on the front rotors for my '97 EX, a local audio shop made a harness for me out of two I had ('99+ radio into a '98 - he does clean work and is a friend), got a brake flush and pads put in my a local shop, alignments, tire mounting. I can't think of anything else.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 PM

I wasn't really singling anyone out NOFX, what I was saying is that some things will work different from the way that motor alldata or sources for any number of reasons. He said he has done it without acces the the factory radio multiple times and their is no reason to regard that as a lie. Service manuals can be wrong they are written by people who make errors. You bash this guy then other people jump on the bandwagon.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: FV-QR (gmcawd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gmcawd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wasn't really singling anyone out NOFX, what I was saying is that some things will work different from the way that motor alldata or sources for any number of reasons. He said he has done it without acces the the factory radio multiple times and their is no reason to regard that as a lie. Service manuals can be wrong they are written by people who make errors. You bash this guy then other people jump on the bandwagon. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Service manuals also get updated. The whole idea of the service manual is based around the information within it not being wrong. Honda also releases TSBs with updated information.

I didn't say he lied. I think he is mistaken. Saying something wrong doesn't mean it's a lie.

And btw, I did not bash him because he works at a retail store. I was only trying to say that working at said retail store doesn't mean you're an expert in that field (audio, for example), much less in a specific portion of it (programming '96-'98 Honda Civic radios with keyless).

Quick Reply: How to program the remote for a 96 civic with after market Audio system ?