Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice

Here is my horror story. Alright, so I admit. I was impatient, I fucked up and now I am paying the price for it. Go figure.

Have been trying to get my crank pulley bolt off so I can get to my water pump to change it out (again!). Couldn't get the crank to stop from rotating until I found a post about jamming a screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel. I try this with no problems except 3 broken 3/8" rachets. So I read another post about the crank pulley tool. Sounds like the way to go. So after work today, I head over to Sears to buy some heavy duty tools. 18" long 1/2" breaker bar and some 17mm impact sockets. Then I take a trip to Lowe's and buy a 30" steel pipe for leverage.

Then I make my way to pepboys to rent out the crank pulley tool. Its 8:06pm. They closed at 8. ****! Alright. So I make my way over to Kragens. They are open. Close at 9pm. It's 8:45. Whew! I go in and proceed to wait 15 minutes on the guy because he can't find their kit they rent out (even though they supposedly have 2 in stock). Can't find it. So they call another store who actually has it. Only problem is Kragen's closes at 9. and it's 9pm now. damnit. Have to wait until tomorrow to get the crank pulley tool.

But I'm thinking with the tools I just bought and the screwdriver in the flywheel trick, there is no way the crank pulley bolt can withstand this attack..EEEEHHHHHHH....WRRROOOOOONG!!!!!.

This is what happened. Oh no, the flywheel held up. And so did my screwdriver........take a look.

Holy ****! Are you kidding me. A chunk of metal breaks off!!!!! I'm seriously in shock over this and stumped on what to do next?

Is that considered the clutch housing, the transmission housing, or what?

Is this the excuse I need for a new engine???

Seriously though, how screwed am I?

ok. GO! - jefe

p.s. my suggestion for anyone else out there. DO NOT use a screwdriver wedged into the teeth of your flywheel. Go rent the damn pulley tool before you start. Then your only concern is breaking the bolt loose.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (jefe)

weld it back up

btw impact wrenches work really well on crank pulley bolts
Old 08-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (igyloo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igyloo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">weld it back up

btw impact wrenches work really well on crank pulley bolts</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i spent like 3hrs working on that damn bolt sweating like a ****...
i took it to my honda dealership and asked them to do it for me since i just bought a bunch of stuff. The impact wrench took like two seconds...
Old 08-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you can just replace the bell housing and you will be fine. The part that you broke bolts up to the tranny...so just remove it from the tranny and replace it with a new one.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (PYITR821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PYITR821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you can just replace the bell housing and you will be fine. The part that you broke bolts up to the tranny...so just remove it from the tranny and replace it with a new one. </TD></TR></TABLE> dont listen to him use this as an excuse for a swap
Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igyloo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw impact wrenches work really well on crank pulley bolts</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I know impact wrenches would work. That's how I got it off about 8 months ago. But I don't have access to them anymore and I can't afford it. And the car is in shambles right now and not in driving condition so I can't take it anywhere.

I don't have a welder.

So, is the technical name for the part that broke, the bell housing or what?? I need to find this part online and have only found a clutch housing and a transmission housing and I can't tell by the pictures.

So what is it I need to get actually??
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is called the clutch housing as well.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how screwed am I?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not very, like PYITR281 said, just replace that piece.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that sucks man! Its okay to drive, the only thing is that you are going to get a bunch of dirt in the clutch/flywheel housing. You can just replace that housing if it really bugs you. As for the crank bolt, if you havent gotten it off, just take it to a tire shop or something and have them hit it with one of their high torque impact guns. Thats what I did and they had to use their 900 ft./lbs. impact gun. And they only charged me $5. Id rather pay $5 every time then to go through all the trouble I went through the first time I did it on my own.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bell housing is right, but im sure it could also be called the clutch housing
Old 08-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">New tranny enless you wanna buy a bell housing and swap the guts out of that tranny into yours ..which is also gonna cost a grip to get done along with the bell housing. So Id say time for a new tranny bro
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I found this post above from a guy who bottomed out and ripped a hole in his. Is the quote above true???? If I bought a new bellhousing, how much of a bitch would it be to swap everything over. Weekend job or what? And how much would a new tranny cost? Atleast $1k or what?

shizer!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

I just looked it up on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and it is called the clutch housing...it goes for about $300 brand new from honda. good luck.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jefe)

why would you need to swap out the guts of the tranny...you are not replacing the transmission housing, you are replacing the clutch housing. To change out that broken part will take a little time....you need to remove the axles, tranny mounts, drain tranny fluid (unless you want it all over the place), unplug a few wires, remove some bolts from the clutch housing, and remove the tranny. Once the tranny is removed the clutch housing will be attached to it..remove the clutch housing and replace with the new one. Then put it all back together.

A brand new tranny from honda is over $2000. A brand new clutch housing from honda is about $300..it's your choice.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use some liquid nails and stick that piece back on there, it doesn't do anything but make sure crap doesn't get up into your clutch/flywheel housing.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PYITR821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PYITR821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A brand new tranny from honda is over $2000. A brand new clutch housing from honda is about $300..it's your choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could do without the sarcasm, although I really do appreciate the input. That is one reason I post to H-T because there are some things like this that I have never messed with yet and don't have the knowledge. Therefore I ask.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PYITR821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use some liquid nails </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding me? That sounds pretty half-*** to me. Thanks but I think I will pass on that one.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I found this post above from a guy who bottomed out and ripped a hole in his. Is the quote above true???? If I bought a new bellhousing, how much of a bitch would it be to swap everything over. Weekend job or what? And how much would a new tranny cost? Atleast $1k or what?

shizer!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE> i didnt write that cause that is a stupid idea and a waste of time
Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are you kidding me? That sounds pretty half-*** to me. Thanks but I think I will pass on that one. </TD></TR></TABLE> actually what he is saying is right, all it does is makes sure crap doesnt get in there. but i wouldnt half *** it.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could try JB Weld and glue it back together....that JB Weld is some good stuff. Give it a try and see how it holds up...could save you a bunch of money.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just JB weld it back.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (minivan81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by minivan81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just JB weld it back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can you buy this stuff? What exactly is it?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can you buy this stuff? What exactly is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nevermind. I searched.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:24 AM

Did you atleast get the crank pulley bolt off?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (Kevedge)

of course not. I plan on renting the crank pulley tool tomorrow and buying a shorter 17mm impact socket so I can come up through the engine with the breaker bar instead of using extensions and coming out of the wheel well. Losing too much power that way.

Hopefully, by the weekend, I will have everything running in the right direction for a change.

Nice ride by the way. Laguna Beach, eh? Oceanside here.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 AM

meh, nothing a little duct tape won't fix
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice (daveisadork)

Yeah this **** sucks man. I am in the same spot as you (nothing cracked or anything). I cant drive my car anywhere, so i have to get ti towed. I tired anohter trick someone suggested. Putting the car in 5th and applying the brake. It stopped the **** from moving but I couldnt NEARenough force to even move it. Broken a couple of extensions. I think I am just going to have someoen do it. I MAY rent that tool and see what I can do. IF not, I will prolly take it somewhere

Quick Reply: A HOW NOT TO on Crank Pulley advice