(HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK

PARTS: Atleast four extra long zipties, maybe four small ones to neaten wires

TOOLS: Wire cutting pliers ( to cut ziptie ends off)
10mm socket (short) and ratchet handle for lower bumper bolts. Medium to log phillips screwdriver to remove bumper screws.

Alright i decided to make this post, since alot of people with EK model civics thinking where other than the engine compartment to mount your HID ballasts. I mounted my HID balasts beside my re-bar sort of under the ehadlight housings. Utilizing two small holes I found, i mounted the ballast with 4 extra large tie-straps ( one up and down, one across). The HID ballasts will now be hidden behind bumper cover with the wires also resulting in a clean engine compartment. I can now shampoo my engine bay without worry. I hope this helps somone.

First off remove front bumper by removing two 10mm lower bolts, remove 2 phillips screws on on each cumoer corner where meets fender. Then 6-7 screw clips on top. Have a carpet or some thick blanket on the floorin case you drop your HID ballast.

Now hold ballast to desired mounting location beside bumper re-bar find the desired holes, stick zip-ties through holding the ballast up and down, then find another hole and run a zip-tie holding ballast sideways. Cut the ziptie ends off. Neatly run and tuck your wires not making tight kinks or bends jus smooth curves and watch for sharp metal edges. Now once wires are desired routing, attatch atleast 2 zipties.

Re-installing the bumper, look at it, hold it up while tightneing so you can see how your are aligning it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK (Rayz_Si)

how come you would put it there? if there's front impact they're done right?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK (Rikaro)

yea.. accident = no more $$ HID's

i think a better place would be inside the radiator support, assuming you're trying to "hide" the box. otherwise i'd just mount it on the inner fender right next to the light
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK (Tatakai)

In this way, it'll encourage me to not drive like a maniac
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

but what about everyone else?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: (tnk)

i sure that even though it is covered by the bumper, water will eventually get to it. you should silicone any openings on the ballast as extra protection. I've gotten one of my ballests wet once and it died. Lucky for me though, it came back on after a good blowdrying. BMW ballasts, $300 at the dealer for 1. I now have my openings where the wires connect to the ballast siliconed to hell. also apply a little silicone where the case snaps together. Extra protection. makes me sleep better when i'm driving.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HOW-TO) a nice HID BALLAST mounting location EK (Tatakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea.. accident = no more $$ HID's

i think a better place would be inside the radiator support, assuming you're trying to "hide" the box. otherwise i'd just mount it on the inner fender right next to the light</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's true man. But even so if you get T-bones there and you know how thin our fenders are like pop cans they ballasts can get crushed also. Not arguing with you, yes it's assumed the first place to get hit is the front. But everywhere else can get hit just as bad also.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importnoodles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importnoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i sure that even though it is covered by the bumper, water will eventually get to it. you should silicone any openings on the ballast as extra protection. I've gotten one of my ballests wet once and it died. Lucky for me though, it came back on after a good blowdrying. BMW ballasts, $300 at the dealer for 1. I now have my openings where the wires connect to the ballast siliconed to hell. also apply a little silicone where the case snaps together. Extra protection. makes me sleep better when i'm driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man I never thought of siliconing any openings great idea
Old 05-05-2007, 12:38 AM

stupid, not even a great place... i rather put it under the oil pan! hahhaha stupid
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 AM

that would be a bad idea. what if you get into an accident at night and need to drive home? messed up car + no headlights = suck
Old 05-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amateur slot)

not a good idea...why not just put them next or around the lights. plain and simple, thats what i did.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uhhh... at least screw it down..
Old 05-05-2007, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO... dats the dumbiest place to put them in. If it rains water will leak and bam they are out. if you crash they out.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (uneek360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO... dats the dumbiest place to put them in. If it rains water will leak and bam they are out. if you crash they out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

noone plans to get into an accident. Silicone would solve the problem of rain water. also, for all you people saying that an accident would take them out, the ballasts are on seperate ends. If he impacts on one side, he would destroy the ballast on that side. If however he happens to crash PERFECTLY head-on with enough impact to crush BOTH ballasts which are on two seperate ends, AND CRUSH THE IMPACT BEAM Also, i doubt he would be worrying about the lights. notice that the ballasts are BEHIND the beam a bit, hence it will be somewhat protected

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kangolbrand &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stupid, not even a great place... i rather put it under the oil pan! hahhaha stupid </TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope that was a joke

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amateur slot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that would be a bad idea. what if you get into an accident at night and need to drive home? messed up car + no headlights = suck</TD></TR></TABLE>

well what if you got in a crash and you blew your face up? ya, it makes no difference. there are too many what if questions. messed up car + face = suck (at this point would you really worry about your lights?)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhh... at least screw it down.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats why he has zip ties...

many of you are saying things about "what if accidents." You might as well have used the logic of, "if i have a car then theres the risk that someone might steal it. I rather be safe and walk the rest of my life."

the man suggested a place to put his ballasts. He took his time to post his idea for other people. You don't like it, to freakin bad. Call yourself stupid instead. Either contribute or stop posting here calling other people's ideas STUPID. You people criticizing should stop posting because you are of no use to other HONDA-TECH members.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importnoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

noone plans to get into an accident. Silicone would solve the problem of rain water. also, for all you people saying that an accident would take them out, the ballasts are on seperate ends. If he impacts on one side, he would destroy the ballast on that side. If however he happens to crash PERFECTLY head-on with enough impact to crush BOTH ballasts which are on two seperate ends, AND CRUSH THE IMPACT BEAM Also, i doubt he would be worrying about the lights. notice that the ballasts are BEHIND the beam a bit, hence it will be somewhat protected

i hope that was a joke

well what if you got in a crash and you blew your face up? ya, it makes no difference. there are too many what if questions. messed up car + face = suck (at this point would you really worry about your lights?)

thats why he has zip ties...

many of you are saying things about "what if accidents." You might as well have used the logic of, "if i have a car then theres the risk that someone might steal it. I rather be safe and walk the rest of my life."

the man suggested a place to put his ballasts. He took his time to post his idea for other people. You don't like it, to freakin bad. Call yourself stupid instead. Either contribute or stop posting here calling other people's ideas STUPID. You people criticizing should stop posting because you are of no use to other HONDA-TECH members.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a DUMB place to put them !!! why not just put them right around the headlight housing in the engine bay ?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 AM

maybe he want's it to be hidden.

......and teh dumbest place to put the, would have been Kangolbrand idea of putting them under the oil pan...

Where in an engine bay could you mount the ballast if you had all the accomodations anyway( ac,power steering,cruise, windshield fluid tank). Which you can see, in the picture he has all of them. MOUNTING there would be hard on the driver side. Yes he COULD just throw the ballast somehwere but he wont be able to MOUNT it there. There is simply no room to MOUNT it in the engine bay. Options are fender and bumper. The length of the wires also limit the distance the ballast can be away from the headlight.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM

nice location choice, mine came with brackets and i made use of those holes with some sheet metal screws and nuts.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's a DUMB place to put them !!! why not just put them right around the headlight housing in the engine bay ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe i want it hidden from people such as youself who expect the HID ballasts to be RIGHT IN ENGINE BAY EASY TO BE STOLEN ONCE YOU POP MY HOOD. i'LL DELAY YOU A COUPLE MINUTES AND MAKE YOU REMOVE MY ENTIRE FRONT BUMPER BEFORE YOU STEAL MY HID SYSTEM. BY THEN THERE IS A BETTER CHANCE I WILL APPOINT YOU OUTSIDE WITH A TOOL
Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol... no need to type in caps. But believe me i would worry more about someone stealing the car then someone trying to steal your HID's. If you feel safe with them there then more power to you
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO... dats the dumbiest place to put them in. If it rains water will leak and bam they are out. if you crash they out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dOES WATER EVER GET INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHEN IT RAINS?? DID YOU SEAL YOUR ENTIRE HOOD OFF WITH SILICONE?

THIS WILL ENCOROUGE MY TO NOT DRIVE LIKE A RICER
Old 05-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rayz_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dOES WATER EVER GET INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHEN IT RAINS?? DID YOU SEAL YOUR ENTIRE HOOD OFF WITH SILICONE?

THIS WILL ENCOROUGE MY TO NOT DRIVE LIKE A RICER </TD></TR></TABLE>

more power to you...

Would they fit inside the impact beam ??
Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

water Does get inside the hood. Thats where mine was when it got wet. Thats why i ended up makeing a plate to mount the ballasts upside down and then siliconed them.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the mature real world knowledge importnoodles.