Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much whp can the stock axle hold

on a b series
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much whp can the stock axle hold (tha-Gr8-one8)

i've been making about 300WHP for five years on stock axles with no problems.that's about 80% street driving,with some drag strip use on drag radials and 24.5" slicks.
i replace them about every year and a half just as a precaution(with warranty from Autozone/Advance,why not? )
Chris
Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: how much whp can the stock axle hold (TeamNextGenChris)

dude thats cool
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 AM

any one else?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not whp that matters is torque, and shock torque at that. 300whp/200lbft with a good driver and a soft use of the clutch will last. however a poor driver with a 6 puck ceramic will break axles even with a stock clutch. And downshift shocks are just as bad, so learn to heal toe or be gental with that clutch

The single worst thing you can do to an axle is sidestep the clutch in 1st with revs, you WILL break axles.

Strangeley enough proper drag radials are better due to the give in the sidewalls, racing slicks will be the worst
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: how much whp can the stock axle hold (CivicESi)

It really depends on alot of things. My belief is the straighter the axle the stronger it is. I dont care how high my car is and what it looks like, if my axles are straight then I'm good to go. I also have a clutch type lsd, so when making a turn from a stop or a slow roll I'm not mashing the skinny pedal.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: how much whp can the stock axle hold (walker111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really depends on alot of things. My belief is the straighter the axle the stronger it is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, straighter it is the longer it will last (less it will wear over time), but the out and out strength is given by the size of the joints and the bars

I design/test axles for a living
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 AM
cool guy name

Well if youre talking about an aftermarket axle then of course the bigger the better. But we're talking about stock axles, they're pretty much all the same size. I'm sure if you do a test on a slammed car, a stock car, and a height that leaves the axles perfectly straight, the straight axle will be the one that lasts the longest.

Jim
Old 04-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running 400+ on original stock axles on a B16 with about 100K miles. I run a 6-puck ceramic unsprung-hub clutch and drag race it frequently on slicks and drag radials. I slip the clutch a lot and never dump it. I also don't engine-brake. My axles appear to be holding up well so far. If you don't abuse them, then they should last.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">straighter it is the longer it will last </TD></TR></TABLE>

Walker for repeating exactly what i said

Was talking about any axles, i work on OEM stuff, but you size the joint on max Torque , then look at angles to see if it will last, if not, then go up a size. Aftermarket are no stronger than stock unless the material is better (how most do it) or the splines are bigger (very few)

So yes a strighter axle will last longer, but not if you put too much torque through it, like dumping the clutch.

Having it straighter will not mean it can handle more torque

A 1.3 can put more torque down an axle then a 300bhp drag car if the drivers bad enough, all about shock loads and torque reversals
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 AM
cool guy name

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Walker for repeating exactly what i said

Was talking about any axles, i work on OEM stuff, but you size the joint on max Torque , then look at angles to see if it will last, if not, then go up a size. Aftermarket are no stronger than stock unless the material is better (how most do it) or the splines are bigger (very few)

So yes a strighter axle will last longer, but not if you put too much torque through it, like dumping the clutch.

Having it straighter will not mean it can handle more torque

A 1.3 can put more torque down an axle then a 300bhp drag car if the drivers bad enough, all about shock loads and torque reversals </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with everything you say, my point is is that if you take the same car with the setups I said, the straight axle will take more abuse then the others. Not so much last longer but but take the punishment better. I see what your saying but if you take a slammed car and start dropping the clutch in it theyre gonna go quick, whereas the straight will take more abuse.

Kinda confusing to explain, any way you look at it its saying what youre saying. But I do agree with everything youve said.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: how much whp can the stock axle hold (walker111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with everything you say, my point is is that if you take the same car with the setups I said, the straight axle will take more abuse then the others. Not so much last longer but but take the punishment better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, both will take the same amount of punnishment, driveshaft angles have very limited effects on the ultimate torque they can handle, it just affects wear over time.

Infact the less suspension movement the worse it is, as the joints wear in the same place