Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much to remove this dent?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to remove this dent?

I got a estimate for 275$$. Would that be a good deal. If not where in Los Angeles would they remove the dent for cheaper. Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: How much to remove this dent? (MyKeerInYourEar)

crap, i dont know how to add a pic.....can someone help?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bondo.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

host the pic on http://imageshack.us/index3.php

then copy and paste the first line they give you to here

but, depending on the size a paintless dent removal place may be able to take it out for under $150
Old 10-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Until you get any pic(s) posted, let us know where the dent is at and what size the dent is.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Depending on the dent i could do it pretty cheap. But if its a pretty bad dent it would just take time.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:16 PM

http://imageshack.us/index3.php
Old 10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyKeerInYourEar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://imageshack.us/index3.php</TD></TR></TABLE>

?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:20 PM

doesnt work..
Old 10-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depending on the size a paintless dent removal place may be able to take it out for under $150</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thany would be the way top go
Old 10-01-2004, 03:23 PM

I hope this works (i made the file smaller)

Old 10-01-2004, 03:24 PM

i got a dent kinda like that.. .but it was a little higher up... the cheapest estimate I could get was 482.. good thing the guy that hit me paid for it
Old 10-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MyKeerInYourEar)

Ouch.... i could take that out if you want but it would take a while, i dont have anything for paintless dent removal so i would need to shave all that and pull then smooth, and primer.

Let me know if you cant find anyplace cheap and if your interested.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Well i got a estimate from some guy that came to my school parking lot and went around looking for people with dents, he wanted 275$$, but he looked kinda shady. How much would you want, and where are you located?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have AIM or Yahoo?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Yeah im on aim right now, my sn is keeerash
Old 10-01-2004, 03:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyKeerInYourEar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope this works (i made the file smaller)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fucc! I hate seeing damaged or even lightly messed up quarter panels like that. And I hate bondo. You can get it done right by having a shop replace the entire quarter panel. Or you can go to a shop that is good with pulling dents out using the least amount of fiberglass as possible. I hear decent bodyshops now-a-days aren't supposed to use bondo anymore.

I'd show a pic of my car from inside the panels after it got fixed, but I just sold it and plus, I don't have my digicam anymore.

Anyway, they take a heated nail or piece of metal like a nail and they stick it thru the panel and when it cools off they pull the dent outwards. When the panel is as straight as can be, they just saw off the nail/metal piece and shave it flat. Plus, that also covers up the hole. An older way (but some shops still do it this way) was to drive a screw into the panel which would be connected to a slide hammer and they'd hammer it out. But you would still have the holes from the screw there. A lot of times they would just fill it with bondo. Cheap, untrustworthy shops will do that.

Messed up quarter panel & door skin...

Fixed up quarter panel...

Fixed up door skin...
Old 10-01-2004, 04:21 PM

Thanks for all the great info
Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that work on the white hatch came out clean
Old 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

275 for a good job seems pretty cheap to me. The quarter panel is messed up and so is the door. At 275 thats only two hours of bodywork they are charging you for.

Edit: I didn't see that it was some guy driving around your school parking lot. I would bring it to an actual shop if it was me. It's your money though do as you want.....
Old 10-01-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow that work on the white hatch came out clean</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it did. that dent made me tear up
Old 10-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rexboyb18)

u could take it to tijuana and get it done for like 50 bucks ahha
Old 10-01-2004, 10:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

. Or you can go to a shop that is good with pulling dents out using the least amount of fiberglass as possible. I hear decent bodyshops now-a-days aren't supposed to use bondo anymore.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone lied..a lot of the times you still need filler..when they weld new panels there is usualy a lil filler. cars from the factory used to have filler and probably still do. You dont use fiberglass on metal as it doesnt stick well. A high quality "bondo" or filler will work good in the hands of a good technician. Yes they use stud guns now days.(metal stick spot welds to the door and use slid hammer to pull dent out) Many ways to skin a cat in the case of the balck hb quarter Im sure that could be fixed with minimum bondo. Rule of thumb by ICAR (like ASE for autobody) is 1/16th inch max on bondo thick ness

And the dude with the black car with the dent $275 is a decent price and a steal if he paints it too cause there is a lil bit of orange peel in the pain on the quarter now and new paint would be sweet. A shop would charge at least $45ph and Id estimate that taking about 6~8hrs doing it really well. Im sure it can be done in 4hrs too.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Re: (MulletManRockStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MulletManRockStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Someone lied..a lot of the times you still need filler..when they weld new panels there is usualy a lil filler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain what you mean when they weld new panels?

If you meant, welding in an entirely new quarter panel, there is no filler that's needed to be used. The welds for the quarter panel are all hiden or not exposed. They just paint over it and it looks like factory. My cousin had a friend hand an EK with damage to the rear quarter panel and insurance paid over $3K to have it re-welded. We went to the shop to see the progression and they didn't fill or bondo anywhere on the welds.

If you meant, cutting a section of a quarter panel from another car and welding that section onto my damaged section, then yeah. I can understand using filler on that.

As far as the bondo thing, the three bodyshops I went to for Honda dealerships (needed estimates for insurance co), said that there was a standard that quality bodyshops and themselves are no longer allowed to use bondo (at least for a damage like the one on my car or that black car). They said anything bigger than a fist, they couldn't do any type of work that required pulling the metal out and using filler. The other four bodyshops I went to, that had no affiliation with any dealerships, said the same, but they themselves can use fiberglass and that the fiberglass they use can last the lifetime of the paint, if not the lifetime of the car. Also, out of the seven bodyshops I had went to, six of them recommended welding in an entirely new quarter panel. Only one decided to just heat the quarter panel up, pulling it out, then cooling the metal; and using fiberglass to fill as needed.

Modified by TallAssFilipino at 1:13 PM 10/2/2004
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: (TallAssFilipino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Explain what you mean when they weld new panels?

If you meant, welding in an entirely new quarter panel, there is no filler that's needed to be used. The welds for the quarter panel are all hiden or not exposed. They just paint over it and it looks like factory. My cousin had a friend hand an EK with damage to the rear quarter panel and insurance paid over $3K to have it re-welded. We went to the shop to see the progression and they didn't fill or bondo anywhere on the welds.

If you meant, cutting a section of a quarter panel from another car and welding that section onto my damaged section, then yeah. I can understand using filler on that.

As far as the bondo thing, the three bodyshops I went to for Honda dealerships (needed estimates for insurance co), said that there was a standard that quality bodyshops and themselves are no longer allowed to use bondo (at least for a damage like the one on my car or that black car). They said anything bigger than a fist, they couldn't do any type of work that required pulling the metal out and using filler. The other four bodyshops I went to, that had no affiliation with any dealerships, said the same, but they themselves can use fiberglass and that the fiberglass they use can last the lifetime of the paint, if not the lifetime of the car. Also, out of the seven bodyshops I had went to, six of them recommended welding in an entirely new quarter panel. Only one decided to just heat the quarter panel up, pulling it out, then cooling the metal; and using fiberglass to fill as needed.

Modified by TallAssFilipino at 1:13 PM 10/2/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was talking about patch panels you would need filler. You shouldnt use fiber glass you should use "filler" or bondo(not the brand) as fiberglass doesnt stick well to metal. Yeh when they put in a fresh quarter they dont use filler. They plug weld in the new panel and grind the "nuggets" of the weld and then paint. That is how we have always did it in my shop.