Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how much do you think a body shop should charge for this ?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much do you think a body shop should charge for this ?

i have a eg with rust in the quarter panels and i have the new panels that i have purchased but im wondering how would a average body shop charge for something like this?

i went to one already in chicago and they told me 1100 bucks. i thought that was a little to much.

this is two pictures of the left side quarter panel

this is the right side of the quarter panel

so guys let me know
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much do you think a body shop should charge for this ?

$1100 is very reasonable. The real damage is behind the panel, the rust you can't see. Once you start cutting away at the metal, you find out there is more damage than you originally assumed. Body shops usually account for these possibilities in their estimates. $1100 might even be too cheap.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that price, find a clean shell and swap over. It's not worth it if it's that much.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fireblaze2k1
For that price, find a clean shell and swap over. It's not worth it if it's that much.
If only it were that easy. Sigh.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i knew it it was to much what is a good average amount to pay for something like this
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the shop would have quoted you from the repair est book they have I think if I remember when I had mine looked at to replace the driverside was 9 hours and the passenger side was about half that. this was just to replace the pannel. so yeah what he was going to charge isn't all that bad
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for that price you can rent a MiG Welder, its easy as hell to pick up. just make sure you get the right wire for the metal, get some sheet and do it yourself. for that price, you can probably do it all yourself for far cheaper.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i got the rear quarter panels that i purchased.and i didnt know if that was a good offer from a body shop but i guess not.what would be a decent price that a body shop can quote me so i can jump on it?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaon18's
no i got the rear quarter panels that i purchased.and i didnt know if that was a good offer from a body shop but i guess not.what would be a decent price that a body shop can quote me so i can jump on it?
here is the deal it is going to be expensive to have the entire new pannel installed period. figure on no less then what your quote was. If you let him just cut the new panels and use the arch to patch your pannels then the price might come down a bit. however if I where you and you have the entire new quarter then that is the best way to have it done. No matter how you look at it the car is at least 15 years old and worth almost nothing you are going to put the value of the car and then some into repairing the body work the right way. So now you have to ask yourself is the cost worth it to have the car repaired?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no not the entire section i just have the half of the quarter panel just enough to get rid of the rusts parts. that is it. and yes the car is worth it but i just don't want to get ripped off you know. cause i get it for that price and some body asked me how much i paid for it then they tell me that i could of done it for half the price so i don't want to make sure that im get a good deal you get what im saying!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plan and simple your estimate might be too cheap, does it include all the body work? prep/primer/paint? The last thing you want is for them to do the work and find alot more damage underneath whats already there. Yeah you have the filler panels but if all the rust is not removed it will come back through your new metal. How much down time you looking? You get what you pay for and if you pay to cheap you may get a shitty job done. Im in the same boat both sides are rusted to all hell. I would talk it over with the tech and find out how the job will be done and what will be included. You also might want to check craigs list for a body man, plenty of people looking for sidework you may get a good deal,
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand your logic in starting a thread with no knowledge of the work you're looking to have done on your car. You doubt a professional offer and think it's too expensive, then start a thread asking about pricing on a forum in which most of the members aren't professionals and don't really know much more than you.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

it's reasonable price if they include a paint job to blend it into the rest of the car.