Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much damage can water do to the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much damage can water do to the engine?

Ok. I have done something stupid. I put a bucket covering the cold air intake. After I washed my car, I forgot to take out the bucket and let the water go. I have done this stupid for more than 7 times i would say. Is my engine in a danger? What could I do. Should i flush the engine?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (kekekekevin)

Are you saying you spilled a bucket of water onto the motor, or are you talking like your CAI sucked in water that was in the bucket.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (B18B1_4DR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kekekekevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok. I have done something stupid. I put a bucket covering the cold air intake. After I washed my car, I forgot to take out the bucket and let the water go. I have done this stupid for more than 7 times i would say. Is my engine in a danger? What could I do. Should i flush the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You really didn't have to start a new thread when you had just created another one basically about the same thing.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (KoLRaNcH)

if u think u sucked up that much water, u can take out the spark plugs and turn it over to see if any water squirts out of the cylinders. if nothing comes out, run it. it might just burn through if theres not too much in there. if the water sat in there for a while, it could be ugly.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's too much simply ur engine's totalled.

Listen to what brick top said.

EDIT:
Water is horrible for your engine, fromwhat I hear I think it's 1tsp of water into ur intake will total ur engine.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (kekekekevin)

this is a rod i just pulled out of an engine that the owner had run through a puddle with an AEM on it:

yes,it can damage your engine if you get enough in there.
have you changed the oil since you did it?wouldn't be a bad idea.if you've damaged anything,nothing you can "flush" or do to fix it.if you do it again,remove the plugs and crank the engine over to get the water out of the cylinders.
my suggestion would be to finda better solution for whatever reason you're putting a bucket over the intake.
Chris
Old 09-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a rod i just pulled out of an engine that the owner had run through a puddle with an AEM on it:

yes,it can damage your engine if you get enough in there.
have you changed the oil since you did it?wouldn't be a bad idea.if you've damaged anything,nothing you can "flush" or do to fix it.if you do it again,remove the plugs and crank the engine over to get the water out of the cylinders.
my suggestion would be to finda better solution for whatever reason you're putting a bucket over the intake.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha that picture is crazzzy thats why i dont like cold air's anymore...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much damage can water do to the engine? (iLOVEthatEMone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iLOVEthatEMone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahaha that picture is crazzzy thats why i dont like cold air's anymore...</TD></TR></TABLE>
no kidding.what's crazy is the guy had just gotten a loan for me to build a turbo kit for his car.this happened the week before he was supposed to drop the car off with me,so he had to spend about half that turbo money just getting his car running again.
chris
Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ooooohhhh! sorry to see that. i love my short ram
Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

Jesus christ. I've stayed away from CAI's for a while, but recently thought about giving it a whirl. It rains a lot in NY though so...I think I'll pass
Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude thats a photoshop we all know the gsRRR can't lose.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 PM
H-T White Ops

I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Bucket...washing car....7 times.....intake. WTF MAN?!?!?!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 PM

hydrolock FTL
Old 09-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Bucket...washing car....7 times.....intake. WTF MAN?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto FTW

(^.^)V - i'm lost but now i'm cutting my CAI lol
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM

i put my CAI on about 2 months ago and we have some pretty bad rain storm here in PA. if your smart you will be fine with one. my intake sits just to the right of the pass. side side vent. i have had to drive home from school in storm so bad you could not see 20 feet ahead of you. i kept driving and just kept my RPMs low so that it's not pulling in alot of air. if i can't avoid a puddle and must go through it i will usually get a little speed then right before the puddle i drop it into neutral and just coast through the puddle. from my experience if your careful having a CAI will be fine.

my buddy had a SRT4 and tried to make it through a huge puddle and didn't make it. once we got it out we did the spark plug thing and got it all out and still would not start. after messing with if for a while my other friend undid one of the charge pipes and water went all over the place. it started right up and he blew at least a gallon of water out of the FMIC. car still ran fine and about 30 minutes later he dynoed at 267 at the wheels.

at about the 2 minute mark in this video there is a clip of the SRT4 starting and us getting the water out of the intercooler and it starting it up with a huge cloud of steam coming from the exhaust tips

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4W9n2eszeL4
Old 09-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chunkybs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chunkybs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your smart you will be fine with one. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i agree.i ran a CAI on my daily for years with no problems.that includes the fact that the road in front of my work gets about a foot of standing water in it every time it rains-i'd always just get a running start and kill the engine right before i ran through the puddle,then restart the car after i got through ..that was with my old D16 though.if i ruined it,i'd just throw in another one.once i put the B20 in it,it wasn't worth the risk to me,so i went with a custom short setup.
this owneer of the car i posted a pic of the rod from was running an AEM with no fender liners.
run fender liners,don't drive through deep water.if the car should stall from a hydrolock,pull the plugs and crank the engine to get out the water.do all that and you'll be fine.
Chris

Modified by TeamNextGenChris at 2:03 PM 9/10/2006

Modified by TeamNextGenChris at 2:04 PM 9/10/2006
Old 09-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chunkybs)

Yeah CAI's arnt that bad. Tho I don't have to worrie about rain too often out here in southern california. But even with the month of rain we get here I just take second half of the intake off and then stick the filter on the upper part so its just a short ram and the theres no worries .
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JeffBro)

water isn't neccissarily(sp) bad for your engine, just in large doses. I have seen people take a bottle of water and poke a small hole in it to drip in the intake and the little bit of water will create enough heat to loosen most carbon deposits in you combustion chamber. Yet if you get too much water (remember water is a liquid and can not be compressed like air) then you get bent rods or worse. NOw if you have done it seven time then you are a dumb *** and don't deserve a car like you have. Just my opinion there. Anyways, it just depends how fast you run the water through, if it takes you a minute to run a couple teaspoons, then your fine, but if you run a couple teaspoons in a second, then you are possibly screwed.
later,
robert
Old 09-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hall97civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hall97civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">water isn't neccissarily(sp) bad for your engine, just in large doses. I have seen people take a bottle of water and poke a small hole in it to drip in the intake and the little bit of water will create enough heat to loosen most carbon deposits in you combustion chamber. Yet if you get too much water (remember water is a liquid and can not be compressed like air) then you get bent rods or worse. NOw if you have done it seven time then you are a dumb *** and don't deserve a car like you have. Just my opinion there. Anyways, it just depends how fast you run the water through, if it takes you a minute to run a couple teaspoons, then your fine, but if you run a couple teaspoons in a second, then you are possibly screwed.
later,
robert</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah,controlled dispersion of water can have benefits(intake charge cooling,removing carbon),but we're talking about unregulated,unintended water in the engine.
Chris